Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need storage VPS

I need storage VPS, 1TB space IPv4 or NAT'd IPv4 as long as the scp/sftp transfers have no issues

any offers?

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

What's your budget?

• time4vps is still cheapest, otherwise wishosting introduced a 7$/m 1TB NAT VPS recently.

• my budget is decent but I have not come to a conclusion. I calculated my cost on Amazon S3+Glacier and its $16 (350GB S3+ 1.5TB Glacier storage) so the VPS should be cheaper than that

Open for yearly offers as well but only confident in a known brand, used to have a @serverian and it was flawless but I canceled that awesome plan and now they are not so lowendish price wise. Service was top notch though

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

https://mnx.io/pricing/

They have $15/month 1TB SSD cached storage servers.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Are you saying your budget is $16 for 1TB? Or for 1.85TB scaled down to 1TB? Maybe you really want 2TB? If the competition is Glacier, you could give Online C14 a look (0.002 euro/GB/month storage plus 0.01/GB transfer in or out iirc). Hetzner has a 2TB StorageBox product at 10 euro/month (ftp/scp, not a vps) plus the various LET hosts.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Asim pmed you

Thanked by 1Asim
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    Are you saying your budget is $16 for 1TB? Or for 1.85TB scaled down to 1TB? Maybe you really want 2TB? If the competition is Glacier, you could give Online C14 a look (0.002 euro/GB/month storage plus 0.01/GB transfer in or out iirc). Hetzner has a 2TB StorageBox product at 10 euro/month (ftp/scp, not a vps) plus the various LET hosts.

Not recommending c14 atm -

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @willie said:
    Are you saying your budget is $16 for 1TB? Or for 1.85TB scaled down to 1TB? Maybe you really want 2TB? If the competition is Glacier, you could give Online C14 a look (0.002 euro/GB/month storage plus 0.01/GB transfer in or out iirc). Hetzner has a 2TB StorageBox product at 10 euro/month (ftp/scp, not a vps) plus the various LET hosts.

No, it was just a comparison. Yes I need 1TB initially

@Awmusic12635 said:
    @Asim pmed you

thanks, replied

@HungryVM said:
    We can provide a 1 TB Raid10 HDD in Germany. Price wise we'd charge $12/Month and the ability to scale up to 3TB. What comes with 1 TB, 1024 MB Ram, 6 TB BW , 1 Shared CPU @3.4ghz & 1 IPv4.

Cheers
    Let me know!

thanks, I'll look into it

thanks for the review @pbgben

• pbgben said: Not recommending c14 atm -

Did you get any response to your ticket?

There's also the OVH Cloud Archive product with similar pricing model.

edited February 2017

@willie said:

pbgben said: Not recommending c14 atm -

Did you get any response to your ticket?

There's also the OVH Cloud Archive product with similar pricing model.

Not really, I was hoping to get the testing done before it was archived. As I would then have to pay for operations too. (7Days before auto archive)

• All my suggestions have already been posted :
    In order of trustworthiness and future-proofness

• Hetzner storage boxes (seamlessly scale up to 10TB at 4euro/TB-month, Immutable ZFS snapshots)
    • Time4vps (Raid6 arrays and established professional company)

for temporary storage space on monthly basis.

• Wishosting.com 1TB nat kvm in hetzner. (KVM!)

for a Yearly commit with some risk (ceph)

Zxhost $48/yr 1TB ceph kvm. (this could be a primary with time4vps as a secondary location, for better disaster resilience )

I'm sure the bandwidth and retrieval costs of Glacier will make any 1+1 service combination worth it.

Thanked by 2exception0x876 WSS
  • vimalware said:

Wishosting.com 1TB nat kvm in hetzner. (KVM!)

But raid-5 :(. I don't know whether that's something to worry about.

• KS-2A (I got one with a 2TB drive) w/ ZFS. Even though I might not have money for food, I somehow find a way to pay the $12 every month. :D

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

WSS said:

KS-2A (I got one with a 2TB drive) w/ ZFS.

Wait, ZFS on one drive? Hmmm :/

Interesting @AshleyUK's offer is still up. I hope that doesn't jinx it ;)

@Asim do you have a location preference? In the US (Utah) I'm tempted by this (1TB raid-6 KVM, $7/mo):

https://billing.httpzoom.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=172&carttpl=cart&currency=2

Thanked by 2vimalware Asim
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

@willie said:

Everything I have that's important isn't sitting on OVH. :D

• NAT storage? @i83 perhaps? 1T £70/yr

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Asim - long time no see! Welcome back.

Vultr sells storage instances but are out of stock in Amsterdam and Tokyo. In New Jersey, they're at $5 per 125GB and it scales linearly from there. I think you have to login to the panel though as I don't see them listed on their pricing page.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @willie said:

WSS said:

Nope just feeling nice currently :)

Thanked by 2vimalware Junkless
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

@willie said:

WSS said:

@Asim do you have a location preference? In the US (Utah) I'm tempted by this (1TB raid-6 KVM, $7/mo):

https://billing.httpzoom.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=172&carttpl=cart&currency=2

What the fuck is up with that math? $7/mo, $53/3 months, $120/6 months, $210/12 months.

Edit: LoL looked up the 256GB one, and they charge you $1 to turn on TAP/TUN so you can use it as a VPN. Mmmyeaahh. No.

• WSS said: What the fuck is up with that math? $7/mo, $53/3 months, $120/6 months, $210/12 months.

The $7 reflects some coupon in the offer thread iirc. See:

• It's the fact that it bills monthly- but you can't prepay for that rate which confuses me.

• Shrug, if you want to pursue it you could ask them. I personally have enough storage for now, so I only kept the url around for future reference.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@willie said:

vimalware said:

Wishosting.com 1TB nat kvm in hetzner. (KVM!)

But raid-5 :(. I don't know whether that's something to worry about.

It is an array of 4 drives.

• exception0x876 said:

It is an array of 4 drives.

Right, is that a problem? I opened a thread about 4-drive raid with large drives a while back, but it wasn't conclusive.

willie said: Right, is that a problem? I opened a thread about 4-drive raid with large drives a while back, but it wasn't conclusive.

The problem is a rebuild time in case 1 drive fails completely. In case of this package the downtime will be around 8 hours.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Hi, if you need storage from 1 TB up to 4 TB - our services will satisfy this need. Full root access, RAID6 arrays. https://www.time4vps.eu/

• exception0x876 said: The problem is a rebuild time in case 1 drive fails completely. In case of this package the downtime will be around 8 hours.

more problematic then dealing with rebuild time itself here is the risk to run into an URE on one of the other drives while rebuilding the raid. especially for a smaller number of large disks that is... ( http://www.zdnet.com/article/has-raid5-stopped-working/ )

Thanked by 1exception0x876

@Falzo said:

exception0x876 said: The problem is a rebuild time in case 1 drive fails completely. In case of this package the downtime will be around 8 hours.

more problematic then dealing with rebuild time itself here is the risk to run into an URE on one of the other drives while rebuilding the raid. especially for a smaller number of large disks that is... ( http://www.zdnet.com/article/has-raid5-stopped-working/ )

And that's why RAID is not a replacement of backups. Anyway the URE problem can be "dealt with" if you are ok with losing data in this chunk. While it is not completely fine it is better than loosing all data.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • exception0x876 said: And that's why RAID is not a replacement of backups. Anyway the URE problem can be "dealt with" if you are ok with losing data in this chunk. While it is not completely fine it is better than loosing all data.

totally agree with that! but one should be aware of the risks after all.

Raid5 should be fine to protect against single point of failure aka loosing data by having a bad drive. anyways if it happens to come to that failure of a single drive, strategy most probably should not be rebuilding but at first moving data in a prioritized order out to another place.

Thanked by 1exception0x876

If your after good speed, I can do R0 - Rebuild time is non-existent compared to those other guys. No point in keeping backups if they're not in multiple locations.

Thanked by 1Asim