Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there companies/individuals that provide remote hands services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there companies/individuals that provide remote hands services?

I was wondering, are there companies or individuals that specialize in providing remote hand/eyes services in datacenters in the US?

Comments

• In my experience the data center will typically offer a service. It's expensive but if you are down to the point where you need it.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

What locations? US is pretty big, I've never seen a company that specialized in it in multiple locations. There's plenty of individuals that do it in bigger cities, probably better off looking on WHT's err, there's some section there where people post it..

• @MikeA said:
    What locations? US is pretty big, I've never seen a company that specialized in it in multiple locations. There's plenty of individuals that do it in bigger cities, probably better off looking on WHT's err, there's some section there where people post it..

For example in Atlanta and Chicago.

• You're better off on WHT in the jobs section. Past companies I worked for would use third parties for extensive stuff that DC's staff would be too much money at an hourly rate. I debated getting into this business with GoRack since I'm about 30 minutes away but my area within a 5 minute drive might have its own DC if FPL can find somebody to build it.

• You could also leverage past contacts. The company I last worked for had the best "old DC tech" do sidework at the new DC a short walk down the road by hiring him as a subcontractor

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jamesrat said: It's expensive but if you are down to the point where you need it.

I was under the impression that using such services was rather routine...you make it sound like it's unusual...? I really don't know.

But I have a hard time imagining LEB providers flying to all the DCs where they have services. Then again I'm thinking of rack/unrack as part of remote hands...perhaps you're not.

Just curious how it all works behind the curtain.

• Wouldn't data centers only allow the customer of record within?

• KeKe said: Wouldn't data centers only allow the customer of record within?

DCs allow authorized people in. Some customers are authorized unsupervised access, such as a remote hands tech who is showing up to do work for multiple customers within the DC, but some DCs require supervision for some customers.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

What Data Center are you in. 9 times out of 10 it will be cheaper to use the Data Center Remote hands than trying to get some outside company to do it

• @raindog308 said:

jamesrat said: It's expensive but if you are down to the point where you need it.

I was under the impression that using such services was rather routine...you make it sound like it's unusual...? I really don't know.

But I have a hard time imagining LEB providers flying to all the DCs where they have services. Then again I'm thinking of rack/unrack as part of remote hands...perhaps you're not.

Just curious how it all works behind the curtain.

I have only used remote hands a few times. This is when ilio or ipmi fails. During these outages remote hands was only used to restore connectivity back to the server.

I suppose if you were upgrading hardware there would be some usage there. Overall my use case has been strictly oh shit situations to get the server back online.

My staff and resources tends to be better then most data center teams.

• @zafouhar said:
    I was wondering, are there companies or individuals that specialize in providing remote hand/eyes services in datacenters in the US?

We do server management / technical support 24x7 as well as other stuff. We do provide remote hands services. Let me know what services you are looking may be we can offer them.

• CenTexHosting said: 9 times out of 10 it will be cheaper to use the Data Center Remote hands than trying to get some outside company to do it

You sure about that? Telx was pretty brutal on DC remote hands

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @CenTexHosting said:
    What Data Center are you in. 9 times out of 10 it will be cheaper to use the Data Center Remote hands than trying to get some outside company to do it

It depends on the work you need :) if you need something simple, maybe a KVM connected or a reboot or something that takes less than an hour it is cheaper and quicker to use DC but if you have a job that will take 8-16 hours of work then using the DC will land you another $1.5k - $2k bill :)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Or sometimes you need a KVM connected, reboots, cable tracing, and/or drive swap you wait until you get that hour threshold since its all billed hourly. I've seen $50-$75 and up to $150/hr with some DCs.