Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europe DB Server [VPS]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Europe DB Server [VPS]

GZSGZS Member
edited February 2017 in Requests

Hello everyone,

To follow on from my previous thread I made a lot of changes to my server set up and managed to lower the query load by around a factor of 10. I was also wildly off in terms of my bandwidth needs. I am however still in need of a second server to handle the peak times on the weekends (Friday night/Saturday/Sunday).

Number of Cores: 4+

Memory: 3GB+

Bandwidth: 500GB+

Number of IPs: 1

Budget: $10/USD or less

Billing period: Monthly/Quarterly

I have a link to the past 7 days worth of server load here: http://i.imgur.com/O84oyAy.png
It was generated at the time of this post. The brown line indicates the CPU load level I would like to stay below. The graph is of the current DB server which is a cheap 4 vCPU VPS. Is anyone able to provide something like this on my budget?

I am looking for a plan which would allow for high load for short periods, as you can see in the graph at around 7PM GMT the DB load spikes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights when everyone is on at the same time.

Comments

• Would this plan allow for high load during times where my peak CPU usage may go above 0.7 load per core? As you can see in the graph at around 7PM GMT the DB load spikes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

• are you planning to use it as a remote DB or move everything to this VPS?

If remote DB, mentioning your current provider/DC should help guide the suggestions.

If the latter, netcup has some nice dedicated core VPS in Germany.

currently 28% off https://www.netcup.de/vserver/

Latency matters, usually.

• It will act as a remote DB, it will run replication for load balancing.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The following are in the UK and match most what you are looking for, all DDOS protected, in the UK and SSD cached, Inception hosting is coming in to its 7th year in Business, this has been done by providing quality service at affordable but sustainable pricing.

4 CPU Cores (Equal Share)
    1 GB Ram
    20 GB SSD Cached Disk space
    1000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6 

€4.00 p/month order link

2 GB Ram
    40 GB Disk space - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    2000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€7.00 p/month order link

3 GB Ram
    60 GB Disk space  - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    2500 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€10.00 p/month order link

4 GB Ram
    80 GB Disk space  - HW Raid 10 SAS + SSD Cache
    3000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared)
    1 x IPv4 address
    1 x /64 IPv6

€12.00 p/month order link

I cant see much from your graph to give any solid indications but as long as they are spikes and not constants I am sure it will be OK.

I can drop the price by €1.00 p/month equivalent on quarterly payments.

Looking glass for you to check latency: http://lg1.inceptionhosting.com

Thanks for the heads up @bersy

If you are looking for something cheaper then you will probably find it, see you in 6 months :)

• Offtopic: Which provider can provide cheap and reliable remote database serveice?

• bersybersy Member
    edited February 2017

mov3 said: Offtopic: Which provider can provide cheap and reliable remote database serveice?

It all depends on how cheap is your cheap :) Prometeus, Online.net and BuyVM, for example.

• @Jack said:
    We can offer;

> 2GB RAM
    >  1 x vCPU
    >  30GB SSD Cached Disk space
    >  500GB Transfer
    >  1Gbps uplink
    >  1 x IPv4
    >  /64 IPv6
    >  KVM/SolusVM
    > £4/mo 
    > Manchester, UK
    > 
    > 

Click here to order

Can merge two plans into one so double spec, double price :)

Hi Jack,

Ideally we would be after something which can cope with our peak load, at around 7PM GMT we get spikes for up to 20 minutes which are around 50-80% higher than our desired load. I suspect a 2 core VPS would not be able to cope with that and would take significant time to process the incoming queries.