Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, duplicity sucks. Any other backup recs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Well, duplicity sucks. Any other backup recs?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Here are some typical results of running backups with duplicity on something as wild and exotic as Debian 8:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1509, in 
    with_tempdir(main)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1503, in with_tempdir
    fn()
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1352, in main
    do_backup(action)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1473, in do_backup
    full_backup(col_stats)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 545, in full_backup
    globals.backend)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 427, in write_multivol
    (tdp, dest_filename, vol_num)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/asyncscheduler.py", line 145, in schedule_task
    return self.__run_synchronously(fn, params)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/asyncscheduler.py", line 171, in __run_synchronously
    ret = fn(*params)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 426, in 
    async_waiters.append(io_scheduler.schedule_task(lambda tdp, dest_filename, vol_num: put(tdp, dest_filename, vol_num),
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 315, in put
    backend.put(tdp, dest_filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/_ssh_pexpect.py", line 226, in put
    self.put_sftp(source_path, remote_filename = remote_filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/_ssh_pexpect.py", line 239, in put_sftp
    self.run_sftp_command(commandline, commands)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/_ssh_pexpect.py", line 192, in run_sftp_command
    child.sendline(self.password)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/pexpect.py", line 961, in sendline
    n = self.send(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/pexpect.py", line 953, in send
    c = os.write(self.child_fd, s)
TypeError: must be string or buffer, not None
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1509, in 
    with_tempdir(main)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1503, in with_tempdir
    fn()
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1352, in main
    do_backup(action)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1441, in do_backup
    list_current(col_stats)
  File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 674, in list_current
    sig_chain = col_stats.get_signature_chain_at_time(time)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 977, in get_signature_chain_at_time
    raise CollectionsError("No signature chains found")
CollectionsError: No signature chains found

My opinion is that anything that results in an error might be on me, but something that results in the program dumping a traceback is on duplicity...I know it's old but it seems half-baked.

Yeah, i'm using pexpect for sftp because paramiko support lacks support for some ssh options.

I guess I need to write my own tar-encrypt-and-sftp script again...will miss incrementals, though. Anything better out there?

Comments

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

borgbackup? I haven't used duplicity enough to compare with it, but borg seems like the Valhalla of backups no matter your use case

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

mfs said: borgbackup? I haven't used duplicity enough to compare with it, but borg seems like the Valhalla of backups no matter your use case

Wow, that looks very interesting...even discusses append-only mode to prevent a hacked client from removing backups. Impressive! reading docs now...

• Definitely give borgbackup a try. I've been using it and have nothing to complain about really (except a few nags like not trying to compress some standard extensions that are already compressed/wont compress much).

I also like the fact that there's a "big huge binary" available for many platforms/distributions which is very convenient without having to install too much stuff and can help you get going quickly with the binary literally just after downloading.

• I've been using Duplicati 2.0 for a while now (https://www.duplicati.com/), on a Windows machine though, but it should support Debian also.

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited February 2017

Same as @Aleksio. Using Duplicati for my important servers to backup up to Amazon Cloud. Using caddy as a reverse proxy to protect the interface.

edited February 2017

nullnothere said: Definitely give borgbackup a try.

Did.

No support for sftp.

Became sad.

Looked at Duplicati...I guess they're just too cool for docs.

"Getting started guide...This guide assumes you have already installed Duplicati". OK then. From what I could tell from the articles - which are on random topics? - I need a web server running on the client..? It looks kind of half-baked...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If I recall correctly it's an all-in package, no need for a separate webserver, it's built in.

Aleksio said: If I recall correctly it's an all-in package, no need for a separate webserver, it's built in.

That just seems very heavy weight for a 128MB VPN box...

raindog308 said: No support for sftp.

Became sad.

Well I guess I can get what I want from borg...maybe. I have to run borg serve, which I suppose isn't the end of the world. I prefer working over ssh with accounts limited to internal-sftp and chrooted, with nologin for a shell...well, there will be some fiddling.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2017

@raindog308 said:
    maybe. I have to run borg serve, which I suppose isn't the end of the world. I prefer working over ssh with accounts limited to internal-sftp and chrooted, with nologin for a shell...well, there will be some fiddling.

yes, ssh authorized_keys limited to running only 'borg serve'.

• Yeah, duplicati definitely isnt for a 128mb vps.

What speaks against rsync?

• YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

@raindog308 said:
    That just seems very heavy weight for a 128MB VPN box...

Plot twist :) What do you want to save from 128MB VPN box?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2017

Looking rclone since some days ago.

Maybe that combined with the mounted backups feature and sftp/sshfs or something like that and a simple bash script may work for you?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hum, that seems odd, it does work on jessie for me, not in 128 MB though.
    Try duply and see if there is an issue with the executables or the commands somehow.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited February 2017

rclone with ACD and on-the-fly encrypt is PURE GREATTTTTTT!!! works in terminal (ssh) etc, folder mount, upload to mounted dir etc etc ... so easy & unlimited space

Maounique said: Hum, that seems odd, it does work on jessie for me, not in 128 MB though.

This was on a 1G box actually.

• well, well...

Time Machine -> ENcrypted volume on AFP -> ZFS -> Snapshots :)

Ah, Linux... rsync.

MagicalTrain said: What speaks against rsync?

Chiefly that I'm backing up, not synchronizing.

i.e., there's no versioned backups in rsync. Also no full vs. incr. Also no encryption. Also...

• I've been using borg backup extensively. Works solidly. It can also (fuse)mount backups so you can access them as a normal file system, but it takes quite a bit of memory when there are more backups involved! So then pruning becomes important.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

@scttmthsn said:
    restic

https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/299

At the moment, restic only supports creating backups of local files and directories

https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/299#issuecomment-277457578

I really wish restic had a feature similar to serve and append-only borg has.

https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/21

Implement Compression

opened this Issue on 15 Nov 2014

https://github.com/restic/restic/issues/407

When I start a new restore to resume, all old files are overwritten once again.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Droping an eye at Borg. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing with the community.

• dynwebdynweb Member
    edited February 2017

@raindog308 said:

MagicalTrain said: What speaks against rsync?

Chiefly that I'm backing up, not synchronizing.

You might want to try http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

rsnapshot perhaps?

• Duplicity is not sucks

• Did you try rsnapshot? Never tried it, but it's on my to-do list...

• I think rsnapshot will also have the same SFTP issue that @raindog308 has with borgbackup. I use both (different uses) but of course I have ssh access/shell on the required machines.

Both are great in their own ways though borgbackup will be much lighter on disk due to the deduplication and fewer files/inodes (but as a result it is much higher on CPU/RAM).

Pick any two : disk space or CPU or Memory :-)

zilch said: Duplicity is not sucks

Decided to try again because the duplicity list said my version was old.

Upgraded to 0.7.11 which meant downloading and building myself, distributing, etc.

First backup? Another Traceback.

True, I'd included a 0-byte exclude file and that confused it, but that's kind of the point. Only poor programmers accept input without testing it. duplicity is written by poor programmers apparently.

It's also a very wonky program because it uses either paramiko or pexpect. paramiko is buggy garbage and also refuses to accept many ssh options, unfortunately. pexpect does accept this, but you have to install that apt and then be careful you use the right magic incantation - e.g., -oPort doesn't work, but :port does, etc. It takes a very careful reading of the man page.

As I said, duplicity sucks. Unfortunately, there may not be another option. I want to like borg, but its lack of sftp support is a real pain.

With sftp, I can

• set the user's shell to nologin
    • chroot the user
    • the user can't do anything except ftp in his chrooted home, which eliminates tons of security problems.

With borg I can chroot if I have a separate standalone server which...look, I'm sure they're sincere, but they're not openssh.

I used to tar/compress/gpg myself and effectively do fulls every night...I may go back to that :-(

• @raindog308 - did @vimalware's suggestion of running borg serve via authorized_keys not work out?

rsync works nicely via authorized_keys (and I suppose borg will too) - I'm still a bit confused (for lack of a better term) on what the concern is in allowing borg to run similarly. I'm sure you can lock arguments down so that it is essentially a backup only process (i.e. no "read/restore" access to the repo). (and no I'm not saying it's as GOOD or trustworthy as ssh but....)

Thanked by 1vimalware

nullnothere said: @raindog308 - did @vimalware's suggestion of running borg serve via authorized_keys not work out?

nullnothere said: I'm still a bit confused (for lack of a better term) on what the concern is in allowing borg to run similarly

I confess I didn't look at it deeply, but my impression was that

• if you want to chroot, you must run borg serve
    • borg serve will chroot for you
    • but the user still must have a valid shell (e.g., bash)
    • hence the user could login normally, which I would prefer to not allow

Also, it meant building a chroot environment for the user, which is a maintenance headache (.e.g, you have to have a bin, an etc, etc. in the user's chroot, and then either you have 50 copies of that for every user, or one shared environment, or a lot of symlink trickery).

I'd like users to only be able to login, chrooted to their backup directory, and only be able to add/remove files in that directory (remove only because duplicity, etc. need to maintain, though I should see if that can be done server side).

I should probably play with it more.