Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowend providers and DDoS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowend providers and DDoS?

FrejMoFrejMo Member
edited May 2013 in General
I have tried three different providers the last few months and all of them have been plagued by network downtimes, most likely due to DDoS or other attacks/abuse.

At the host I'm with now my VPS is completely dead about 3 times per week. How much is acceptable in your opinion?
Not to mention how my uptime record (across all my servers) is only 24 days and I've had this one VPS for over a year now.

Is it really hard for the host to identify the client that gets attacked or abuses their resources and suspend them? I'm assuming it's in their best interest to suspend clients that get attacked or abuse since it's hurting their other customers.

So, is DDoS and abuse inevitable for Lowend providers? If you know any European host that does not have these issues - please do let me know. :-)

Comments

• Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    We don't see these issues on our German servers. If you are interested drop me or @BradND a message.
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    We have services in Netherlands with rarely any DDoS (DDoS has occurred before, resolved in 5minutes). If you have any questions shoot me a PM or click the specials link in my sig!
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    You should go with prometeus/iperweb, they haven't had a minute of downtime since I went with them (9 months ago).
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2013
    tr1cky wrote: »
    You should go with prometeus/iperweb, they haven't had a minute of downtime since I went with them (9 months ago).

I think they rebooted every server a week ago due to the kernel exploit.
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    > @Zen said: DDoS is a problem but there are MANY ways around it.
    Would you mind expanding a little on this subject? The "MANY ways" that is ;)
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    gsrdgrdghd wrote: »

I read about this, but I think they only rebooted some nodes, allthough pingdom didn't see a downtime for the servers that got rebooted.

ac950d6e805e.png
  • Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    @tr1cky

OpenVZ? What kernel is your container running?
  • MunMun Member
    I wonder which host.

However, what are you running. If you really want uptime you might have to get crafty.
  • PatrickPatrick Member
    I read about this, but I think they only rebooted some nodes, allthough pingdom didn't see a downtime for the servers that got rebooted.

If on reboot, OpenVZ puts VPSs in suspended state (newest kernels / vzctl I guess) then your uptime remains but node uptime resets
  • serverianserverian Member
    edited May 2013
    Patrick wrote: »
    If on reboot, OpenVZ puts VPSs in suspended state (newest kernels / vzctl I guess) then your uptime remains but node uptime resets

Sneaky
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    BenND wrote: »
    @tr1cky

OpenVZ? What kernel is your container running?

Yes, openvz
    root@tsdns2:~# uname -r
    2.6.32-042stab063.2

• gsrdgrdghd wrote: »

Only OVZ nodes I believe.
  • Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    @tr1cky
    Yea, I think they are still running an exploitable kernel, can't remember exactly what one is exploitable but I think that is one of them.
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    ksplice could explain that
  • NeoNeo Banned
    Some time it shoots a complete hostsystem for 1 Hour offline... xD
    Yust change the Host.
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    gsrdgrdghd wrote: »

ac950d6e805e.png

what you see here is effect of a suspend / resume of the container. Some containers were frozen to disk at shutdown and restored from disk after the boot. If you reboot your container you will see a different kernel version... :P
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

@gsrdgrdghd said:

Most providers using centos 6 in their node kernel, updated with an official patch from Centos due to a vulnerability the company discovered. Iperweb uses servers with the centos 6 kernel, that needed to be patched and then, they had (as all of any user of the certain kernel) to reboot the machine to load the update. Servers didn't reboot means that they don't uses Centos6 as server's OS, didn't do any update or reboot.
    More information from official Redhat forum here https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=962792 and from prometeus here http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1098

(I'm a customer of Iperweb, not affiliate with them)