Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPS technology you use it ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPS technology you use it ?

edited February 2017 in General

Good number hosting providers are providing the VPS or so called cloud VPS. I'm trying to understand from LET members, which VPS virtualization technology you usually prefer.

My vote to OpenStack KVM

VPS Technologies
  1. Which VPS technology preferred47 votes
    1. OpenStack KVM
      63.83%
    2. OpenVZ
      21.28%
    3. XEN
        6.38%
    4. Vmware
        8.51%

Comments

• I run proxmox and 90% of my servers are KVM based.

I only have 2 OpenVZ servers with the other being Plex and another being a website.

Thanked by 1Waxspacehosting
  • Idle technology

• @jenkki said:
    Idle technology

You mean OpenVZ ?

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited February 2017

I would say KVM has the largest amount of new deployments, but most definitely not using OpenStack.

Thanked by 1Waxspacehosting
  • MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

Waxspacehosting said: OpenStack KVM

OpenStack KVMs are used by OVH as well.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited February 2017

Waxspacehosting said: You mean OpenVZ ?

Yes, that additional technology more preferable for main idle purposes

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jenkki said: Idle technology

Ah yes, WHMCS virtualization.

• I usually only purchase KVM VPSes but I do keep around a few small OpenVZ servers.

• I recently bought a OpenVZ VPS but 48 hours later I was back on KVM. Never going back.

• @Wicked said:
    I recently bought a OpenVZ VPS but 48 hours later I was back on KVM. Never going back.

Due to the old kernel? Most stuff seems to work fine with it, unless you are talking about overselling...

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Not sure why it says "OpenStack KVM". Those are two entirely different things that can be used together, but are not inherently related.

I also can't quite shake the feeling that this is another "postcount padding" thread.

• YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

@advarisk said:

@Wicked said:
    I recently bought a OpenVZ VPS but 48 hours later I was back on KVM. Never going back.

Due to the old kernel? Most stuff seems to work fine with it, unless you are talking about overselling...

What do you run under OpenVZ? Almost all exciting stuff I know wants new kernels, docker and ironic T-shirts to look kewl. That leaves me mostly with VPNs for my spare OpenVZs

• @Yura said:
    What do you run under OpenVZ? Almost all exciting stuff I know wants new kernels, docker and ironic T-shirts to look kewl. That leaves me mostly with VPNs for my spare OpenVZs

Mostly scraping jobs and a few django apps. Using Ubuntu 16.04 everywhere, can't use docker for deployment but old fashioned scp works well enough.

Thanked by 2Yura Waxspacehosting