Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need help with configuring server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

need help with configuring server

hello let members

i am building a web server.
mostly would give free webspace.

but heres my setup.
4 cores dedicated
4 gig ram
50 gig disk (this is low)

and because the disk is low i have a other 2 tb vps.
specs:
2 cores fair share
4gig ram
2 tb storage

the offer from zxhost.

but i want to host vestacp.
and make the 2tb as storage.

but i have no idea to start with.

thank you
perry.

Comments

• Get a bigger disk. You'll only be adding latency to your webserver by using remote storage. Unless they're both in the same dc?

But to answer your question, you'll probably want to mount the 2tb as a web file system like sshfs or webdav.

Thanked by 1perryoo11
  • perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited February 2017

@dodedodo said:
    Get a bigger disk. You'll only be adding latency to your webserver by using remote storage. Unless they're both in the same dc?

But to answer your question, you'll probably want to mount the 2tb as a web file system like sshfs or webdav.

yea. mosty the 2tb act as partition.

i know its maybe not a good idea.
    but i think its a worth to try.

• Think about it. A client will request a file from your webserver. That file must be downloaded from your 2nd server to your 1st server, and then served out to the client. You're adding latency, network overhead and processing overhead.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

Thanked by 1perryoo11
  • @dodedodo said:
    Think about it. A client will request a file from your webserver. That file must be downloaded from your 2nd server to your 1st server, and then served out to the client. You're adding latency, network overhead and processing overhead.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

lets make the story short i offer this service free.
    nothing to lose for the clients.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

The latency for serving a webpages will be terrible unless in the same DC. IMO you are better with some cheap dedi with 2TB disk (like Kimsufi KS-3C).

Thanked by 1perryoo11
  • well ok then thanks for the help then.

• @perryoo11 said:
    hello let members

i am building a web server.
    mostly would give free webspace.

but heres my setup.
    4 cores dedicated
    4 gig ram
    50 gig disk (this is low)

and because the disk is low i have a other 2 tb vps.
    specs:
    2 cores fair share
    4gig ram
    2 tb storage

the offer from zxhost.

but i want to host vestacp.
    and make the 2tb as storage.

but i have no idea to start with.

thank you
    perry.
    >

Not exactly what our storage boxes are designed for, but if you have a genuine use case open a ticket and will see what we can help you with.

• perryoo11 said: nothing to lose for the clients.

Apart from their time. If you provide something you know is going to be shit, you're an arsehole for doing it.

It's like offering to cook someone dinner and serving a meal made of dog food. They probably won't like it, but they might and it's free so they've nothing to lose, hey?

Thanked by 1ThracianDog
  • if in the same DC this might work, mount the storage as /home, have the local storage for the system and mysql. I'd suggest using something like https://bitbucket.org/hirofuchi/xnbd/wiki/Home to start with.
    if the 2TB is from their new offer it's KVM and you most probably could partition your 2 TB box like having 10 GB the system and the rest as an empty partition which you can export.

of course asking @AshleyUK if it is possible to have the 2 TB directly attached to your first VM might be a better fit... while you're at it think about consequences of offering free hosting eventually ask your provider, if he's okay with that and most likely prepapre to prevent and handle abuse in a proper way.

• Nekki said: It's like offering to cook someone dinner and serving a meal made of dog food. They probably won't like it, but they might and it's free so they've nothing to lose, hey?

I laughed out loud, thank you.

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited February 2017

@Nekki said:

perryoo11 said: nothing to lose for the clients.

Apart from their time. If you provide something you know is going to be shit, you're an arsehole for doing it.

It's like offering to cook someone dinner and serving a meal made of dog food. They probably won't like it, but they might and it's free so they've nothing to lose, hey?

its free for them. and im just trying. well i better can call clients people that test it.
    i cant tell them by the name as them arent direct friends

• perryoo11 said: its free for them. and im just trying. well i better can call clients people that test it.

Are you going to advertise it as 'slow-as-shit hosting'?

• @Nekki said:

perryoo11 said: its free for them. and im just trying. well i better can call clients people that test it.

Are you going to advertise it as 'slow-as-shit hosting'?

no and not premium

i thought dick space instead

Thanked by 1maldovia
  • perryoo11 said: no and not premium

Either a brilliant typo or a terrible joke.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @Nekki said:

perryoo11 said: no and not premium

Either a brilliant typo or a terrible joke.

both