Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[TESTING] Minstall: A Framework For Server Management
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[TESTING] Minstall: A Framework For Server Management

maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
edited January 2012 in General

Not sure if this interests anyone but I'm working on a nice new modular and multi-distribution framework for configuring and managing servers. I aim to script it properly and cleanly and if anyone is interested in reviewing my code or helping out just post, this will be my holiday project so I'll have plenty of time to do work on it!

I'm aiming to support Debian Squeeze and Scientific Linux 6.x (although I don't have much experience at the movement with SL) and maybe other operating systems in the future, more details will be/are in the readme file.
The link is here: http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall
Check the credits file for code credits. All code is GPL3.

I've been working hard on Minstall and am looking for people to test my project & give suggestions/bug reports.
I realise there will be many bugs and thus it should be stated that testing the script could cause your computer to malfunction and/or rip apart the space time continuum.
That said, many functions work as intended and the code is available for anyone to look at and learn from so hopefully this project will help someone (even if you don't intend to risk your install to test it ;P)
Thanks to anyone who tests this on a freshly install server, Max.

Thanked by 3reneschaub marrco kalam

Comments

• Any demo or Screenshots?

• Does it work on Ubuntu? :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Installed on an 32MB/64MB OpenVZ Debian 6 32bit template and here are the results so far:

Might I suggest having the script check to see if a module was selected and if not set the help-modules one by default (along with an example of the command (i.e. sh minstall.sh clean-logging)

clean-logging doesn't look like it did much except display failure messages:

Daemon Not Found, Skipping...

rm: cannot remove `/var/log/apache2': Is a directory
    rm: cannot remove `/var/log/apt': Is a directory
    rm: cannot remove `/var/log/fsck': Is a directory
    rm: cannot remove `/var/log/news': Is a directory
    rm: cannot remove `/var/log/samba': Is a directory
    rm: cannot remove `/var/log/samba/cores': Is a directory
    >> Configuring Logging...
    Daemon Not Found, Skipping...

clean-packages reduced my disk space from 433MB to 169MB, it also removes all SSH daemons so you might want to include a warning not to reboot the server until one is installed.

http-install-nginx just scrolls the following messages until I break:

>> HTTP Install: Nginx Web Server <<

This module requires the DotDeb repository to be installed, please install it and run this module again!

install-extra-repositories fixes the above error with http-install-nginx and nginx installs nicely.

I will play around more later. If you need a VPS to play with Max send me a message. :)

• @KuJoe said: Installed on an 32MB/64MB OpenVZ Debian 6 32bit template and here are the results so far:

Thanks for testing, it's much appreciated!
    Sorry about the many bugs, I'll get right on fixing them ;)

• @KuJoe I fixed all the problems you described and added all suggestions (and fixed a massive amount of bugs found myself ;P)

• Looking very interesting!

I'll give this script a try sometime this week, I'm looking to wipe / restart a quickweb box I have.

• Status update, everything seems to be in good working order and has been tested with the exception of the manage-* modules :)

• RophRoph Member
    edited January 2012

Going pretty smoothly for the most part. I tripped up on the same things KuJoe did above.

When adding a virtual host, restarting php5-fpm fails and nginx complains about an unknown username variable. After that, nginx.conf test fails and nginx restart fails.

This is after installing both nginx and php of course.

!(http://i.imgur.com/LxpeE.png)

• @Roph said: When adding a virtual host, restarting php5-fpm fails and nginx complains about an unknown username variable. After that, nginx.conf test fails and nginx restart fails.

I'm amazed it even got that far, I wrote the module yesterday and went to bed 20 minutes later, that thing gave me a headache ;)

• hi maxexcloo. Im a absolout noob and saw your script. Its seems exactly what i searched but i dont know how i install /start it?

i typed in console as root:
    cd ~; rm -rf Minstall mini.tgz; wget --no-check-certificate -O mini.tgz http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall/tarball/master; tar zxvf mini.tgz; cd Minstall

May a installation guide for me (noobs) would be greate! Thx alot

• Now im understanded that ; was as spacer used ;) I have now extractet the files to Minstall Directory. How i can start now the Shell Script?

rm -rf Minstall mini.tgz
    wget --no-check-certificate -O mini.tgz http://www.github.com/maxexcloo/Minstall/tarball/master
    tar zxvf mini.tgz
    cd Minstall

• so i maked a step forward with bash minstall.sh an then modul name.
    It also possible to run all modules with a command or is it only seperatly manuall avaiable?

• @reneschaub said: It also possible to run all modules with a command or is it only seperatly manuall avaiable?

It should work for all of them but currently there's a bug blocking that functionality :|

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

I too got the nginx error, I added a few username's to the system like nginx, username etc still did not work :(

@maxexcloo : Add a bug trackerrr !!!

• maxexcloo could you ad a host controll panel .sh ? (ISPCONFIG , EHCP etc) where included Mail, PHPMyAdmin, FTP Service, Webbased Customer Controll.

Regards
    Rene

• clarity_64clarity_64 Member
    edited January 2012

@reneschaub said: maxexcloo could you ad a host controll panel .sh ? (ISPCONFIG , EHCP etc) where included Mail, PHPMyAdmin, FTP Service, Webbased Customer Controll.

Regards

Rene

If you add all of those things, they can't be run on a low end box. That is the point of his entire script. There are several scripts for installing ISPConfig out there. Hell, I wrote one for Debian 6, but it will only run on about 512mb boxes.

https://github.com/dclardy64/ISPConfig-3-Debian-Installer

I have not maintained it recently, but it used to work just fine.

• hI dclardy. Thx for the link i will try out today. How can i get the install script with wget?
    Yes i can imagine its hard to implement a Web Controll Panel with all this tool but without isnt a really webserver?

I also can not understand why no special webserver distri exsist with a minimal kernel and all special webserver packages?
    Sorry for this question im a absoloutly noob in linux...

Regards
    Rene

• The instruction are in the readme.

• tsctsc Member
    edited January 2012

It's quite a coincidence that I stumbled upon this today while looking for a way to expand upon your quite excellent Minimal Debian script.

Just wondering, though - is everyone else getting errors installing mysql-server-5.5, too? The server fails to start with both Xeoncross's LES and this script for some reason, and I'm not sure whether it's because of the server or because of the package. Error logs show nothing so I have no idea myself.

• Hmmm, what errors is showing when it fails?

Something isn't ok with the dotdeb packages, so, let me know, maybe I can give a solution.

• tsctsc Member

Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!
    invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.

That's basically what it shows, the rest is dpkg errors. No errors are logged to any log files, so I have no idea WHY it failed at all.

It appears other users on Dotdeb are reporting the same thing (at least in the initial 5.5 release post).

• Mostly this is because mysql starts with innodb enabled, and it will fail if you don't have enough ram. So, after the install, maybe you can try to modify the my.cnf file, disabling innodb, and do a dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.5 (or whatever is called the package)

• tsctsc Member
    edited January 2012

Moved discussion about error.

What kinda sucks is that you have to configure MySQL after installing it with Minstall, which leaves dpkg in a broken state until you install other things.

• tsctsc Member

Actually, maxexcloo, can you take a look at lines 78-105 of this script and implement something similar with an option to disable InnoDB before installation begins? This way it doesn't break for most LEB users. :)

Thanked by 1TigersWay
  • @tsc said: Actually, maxexcloo, can you take a look at lines 78-105 of this script and implement something similar with an option to disable InnoDB before installation begins? This way it doesn't break for most LEB users. :)

If you want to disable InnoDB just run the http-configure-mysql module after installing MySQL, it does it :P

Also, an update: I've gone ahead and tested every function/fixed every bug I could find, keep the reports coming in, the script works beautifully now!

• RophRoph Member
    edited January 2012

Re-done with latest version all worked great. Good work :)

As a note to people reading, after cleaning packages and installing a new SSH server you'll be stuck for transferring files if you go for dropbear, since it doesn't support SFTP. If you're looking to use something like filezilla then install OpenSSH instead.

• maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
    edited January 2012

@Roph said: As a note to people reading, after cleaning packages and installing a new SSH server you'll be stuck for transferring files if you go for dropbear, since it doesn't support SFTP. If you're looking to use something like filezilla then install OpenSSH instead.

Actually installing Dropbear installs OpenSSH as well for SSH Client support and SFTP, it's all covered :D

• Really? I couldn't SFTP in after cleaning and then installing dropbear (errorcode 127, which after googling shows that dropbear doesn't support SFTP). Only after choosing install OpenSSH would SFTP work.

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited January 2012

quite an interesting script, thx !

i'm studying and willing to test as soon as i have time to reinstall a vps. Did you consider adding debian-backports to default apt/sources.list ?
    i actually use apt-get -t squeeze-backports install for tmux (imho a better alternative to screen your script install), nginx and nsd3