Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN automated installer - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN automated installer

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

sayem314 said: 1. If I use port 53 instead of 1194 then will it use DNS Tunnel Mode?

Not sure what do you mean by "DNS Tunnel Mode". If you select port 53, it will use port 53, end of the story. The traffic will not look like DNS if that's what you are wondering, but UDP on 53 will still bypass some firewalls/cautive portals.

sayem314 said: 2. How can I change manually port later?

Edit both server.conf and client.ovpn.

sayem314 said: 3. Is there any way I can setup VPN server on my windows VPS's?

Yes - not with this script.

Tripleflix said: i would really want for this to work on openWRT as well, as im always having troubles setting up openvpn there... ill give you a case of beers if someone gets that working :)

Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/BUsVTmKT

Fork of an old version submitted by someone called "Cypriot". Not supported by me, never tested/looked at either, but better than nothing I suppose.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • Thank you @Nyr Such a nice script, It was easy to setup. Is there any way I can make it password protected? And do you know if storage is important for VPN? I used to download large files over VPN. One more question, what minimum spec (ram/cpu/core/storage) do you recommended for using VPN and is there any benefit with SSD for VPN?

sayem314 said: Is there any way I can make it password protected?

Not with this script.

sayem314 said: And do you know if storage is important for VPN?

No, only network and CPU.

sayem314 said: what minimum spec (ram/cpu/core/storage) do you recommended for using VPN

• Any modern CPU core will be ok. An overloaded VPS is not ideal.
    • A good network

RAM and storage doesn't matter.

sayem314 said: is there any benefit with SSD for VPN?

Not at all.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • @Nyr said:
    Not with this script.

In a future release maybe? Or rather never?

edited September 2015

Amitz said: In a future release maybe? Or rather never?

I would say never. Certificate authorization is way more secure than passwords, easier to implement and to develop to clients (since you need the .ovpn anyway).

Edit: I did this very quick implementation using PAM. Not production ready, just did it to fill a request: https://gist.github.com/Nyr/01717d9cf5db045e9520

Thanked by 2Nekki Amitz
  • Nyr said: I would say never. Certificate authorization is way more secure than passwords, easier to implement and to develop to clients (since you need the .ovpn anyway).

I thought there was a way to use OVPN with certificate+password authorization. This is what I was referring to. However, I like the "pure" certificate authorization method. It would just have been a nice add-on feature, given that this way of authorization even exists with OVPN. I am indeed confused now and not sure whether I mix things. Will have to do some reading now.

Amitz said: I thought there was a way to use OVPN with certificate+password authorization.

I am not sure about that. Most likely you can't use both, never checked. But for sure you can set a password for your certificate, if that's enough.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

Nyr said: But for sure you can set a password for your certificate, if that's enough.

This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for being so fuzzy.

Amitz said: This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for being so fuzzy.

Then it's easy!

Just look at lines 84 and 217. If you remove nopass, it will simply ask for one during creation :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Nyr said:
    Just look at lines 84 and 217. If you remove nopass, it will simply ask for one during creation :)

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • @Nyr said:
    Fork of an old version submitted by someone called "Cypriot". Not supported by me, never tested/looked at either, but better than nothing I suppose.

Cool ill take a look, so far it got stuck at tun/tap, but thats not really a thing that should be needed as a "module" in openwrt.. ill see where this gets stuck :)

• @GM2015 said:
    No, most of my gmail accounts are throwaway ones.

@GM2015 believes that Google does not associate those "throwaway accounts" with his true identity. :-p

• I've got no idea what you're talking about. Plus, I'm not one for them to worry about either.

emg said: >@GM2015 believes that Google does not associate those "throwaway accounts" with his true identity. :-p

• +1 for CentOS

NocRoom said: +1 for CentOS

Already mentioned it: I can't edit the first post, but CentOS has been supported for some time already and it's working good :)

Thanked by 1NocRoom
  • Thank you for all previous answer. One more thing, can you please look at this openvpn config from vpnbook http://paste.ubuntu.com/12421557/ and do you know how to setup like this?

sayem314 said: how to setup like this?

What exactly you want like that? It's a pretty standard config...

• did you mean udp 53? something like "vpn over dns" ???

• @sayem314 said:
    Thank you for all previous answer. One more thing, can you please look at this openvpn config from vpnbook http://paste.ubuntu.com/12421557/ and do you know how to setup like this?

Select the option "do you want to run openvpn on port 53" while installing and then just change the port in the .ovpn to 53 and you have the same config like vpnbook.

ankittulsian said: Select the option "do you want to run openvpn on port 53"

Option removed now, he can just simply use port 53 when asked in the first step :)

• sayem314sayem314 Member
    edited September 2015

@shell Yes/maybe, I need what vpnbook.com do use to make their vpn!

@ankittulsian I didn't get this option in current version of this script.

@Nyr Can I get the old script that prompted for udp 53?

sayem314 said: yes/maybe, I need what vpnbook.com do use to make their vpn!

According to the config file, they don't do anything special.

sayem314 said: cam I get the old script that prompted for udp 53?

You can from the commit history but it's not needed since you can use port 53 anyway.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • Nice Nyr.Your script has made my life easy. I can test different configs and even if I mess up anything I can simply uninstall the script and reuse it.

Thank you once again.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • This is a silly question, but how can I install a linux gui on debian jessie desktop at home? Or what do I need to use these certificates? Windows was easier, debian docs aren't exactly forthcoming on linux.

Nyr said: You can from the commit history but it's not needed since you can use port 53 anyway.

GM2015 said: This is a silly question, but how can I install a linux gui on debian jessie desktop at home? Or what do I need to use these certificates? Windows was easier, debian docs aren't exactly forthcoming on linux.

You can just install OpenVPN and run openvpn client.ovpn. No idea about desktop GUIs on Linux, sorry.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Thanks! That can be easily scripted.

Nyr said: You can just install OpenVPN and run openvpn client.ovpn. No idea about desktop GUIs on Linux, sorry.

• Can OpenVPN be used to tunnel a /64 (or larger) IPv6 subnet, not just one IP?

• Thanks for making things easier for the rest of us. I hope one day you can make ipv6 version of it :)

@elwebmaster said:
    Can OpenVPN be used to tunnel a /64 (or larger) IPv6 subnet, not just one IP?

Yes, in fact that's the proper way to do it. Just not with this script at this time.

@muratai said:
    Thanks for making things easier for the rest of us. I hope one day you can make ipv6 version of it :)

I will add IPv6 support as soon as ISP deployments become more mature (so not really soon, to be honest). OpenVZ/SolusVM support for routed subnets (or lack of) plays an important factor too.

• It seems asuswrt-merlin / asuswrt does not support comp-lzo
    I also had to remove it from openvpn server.conf file to make it work.

Can we make it run faster somehow? Router cpu maxes out at 8-10 mbit/sec speeds with default cipher :)