Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN automated installer - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN automated installer

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

MuZo said: is it possible to upgrade from a previous installation of your script?

Unfortunately no, since easy-rsa 3 is not compatible with the older versions.

You can however uninstall (using the old version of openvpn-install.sh) and then install the new version with easy-rsa 3 and all the improvements.

I know this isn't ideal, but easy-rsa 3 breaks compatibility with the older version and there isn't much I could do.

Thanked by 1MuZo
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

It took me a while without reading openvpn docs how to make this work from windows 7. I'm writing this from a NY DO ip I think.

Will try this one on android.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

@Nyr said:

Is it necessary to regenerate the client profiles or can I leave them unchanged after the update?
    (Sorry if that question is stupid.)

@Amitz said:
    Is it necessary to regenerate the client profiles or can I leave them unchanged after the update?

New CA so you need to regenerate.

easy-rsa 3 breaks basically everything that easy-rsa 2 did so compatibility between the two isn't really gonna happen. For example, certificates generated with v3 don't include the legacy Netscape extensions which in v2 were used to authenticate the server.

You could do some short term workarounds but it would be a mess. For users who can't upgrade right now and have existing installations, it's all fine and v2 can still be used and is still secure.

For those setting up new servers, just get the newest version, which I think is a very nice upgrade with lots of cool features and very future-proof :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Nyr is this error normal?

Write out database with 1 new entries
    Data Base Updated
    Using configuration from /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/openssl-1.0.cnf
    mv: cannot stat '/etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/pki/crl.pem.iAqZZeBG6t': No such file or                                                                                         directory

An updated CRL has been created.
    CRL file: /etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/pki/crl.pem

Finished!

I ran the script on a Debian 8 64 bit box from Dacentec (the el cheapo VPS, great for testing).

@joodle said:
    Nyr is this error normal?

Yes, I will take a look at what code is generating this and maybe open an issue with easy-rsa but it appeared during my testing too and is 100 % at their side. The CRL is still created successfully so I assume this could be intended.

Will take a look later and report back.

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • Very nice script man +1

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • Thanks, it works nicely from home, too! Now, is it possible to increase its speed?

Speedof.me got me 430kbps down and 490kbps up speed as a test. Not complaining, just interested in details. Thank you.

• @Nyr this is awesome! Thank you for update !!!!!!!!!! \o/

• @GM2015 said:
    Thanks, it works nicely from home, too! Now, is it possible to increase its speed?

Speedof.me got me 430kbps down and 490kbps up speed as a test. Not complaining, just interested in details. Thank you.

Thats weird, i use a vpn in New Jersey and i can easily reach speeds of 3mb/s while using popcorntime

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @GM2015 said:
    Thanks, it works nicely from home, too! Now, is it possible to increase its speed?

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/40099/why-openvpn-is-so-slow-cool-story

This fixed it for me, putting
    sndbuf 0
    rcvbuf 0
    push "sndbuf 393216"
    push "rcvbuf 393216"

into /etc/openvpn/server.conf
    and then doing service openvpn restart and reconnecting to my vpn.

Now I get my max line speed through OpenVPN.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @Nyr,
    I have just installed your updated script on one of the $10/y Dacentec VPS and it works just as great as its predecessor. Wonderful, thank you very much! Your script has made my OpenVPN life sooo much easier, I am really grateful for this!

Is there any way to buy you a virtual drink?
    A Paypal Donation possibly?
    That would be really awesome!

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited September 2015

Amitz said: A Paypal Donation possibly?

Looking forward buying @Nyr a few beers!

Edit:

Found it! https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install a PayPal link right here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=VBAYDL34Z7J6L

Just donated:

Thanked by 2Nekki vimalware
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

@Amitz said:
    Nyr,
    I have just installed your updated script on one of the $10/y Dacentec VPS and it works just as great as its predecessor. Wonderful, thank you very much! Your script has made my OpenVPN life sooo much easier, I am really grateful for this!

Is there any way to buy you a virtual drink?
    A Paypal Donation possibly?
    That would be really awesome!

Found it on your About page! :-)

<-- QUOTE -->
    If you want to show your appreciation, you can donate via PayPal or Bitcoin. Thanks!
    <-- /QUOTE -->

I encourage everyone to show your appreciation NOW with a donation.

@Nyr: Enjoy the drink(s)!

Thanked by 1Nekki

GM2015 said: Speedof.me got me 430kbps down and 490kbps up speed as a test. Not complaining, just interested in details. Thank you.

This is usually due to network conditions (bad connectivity between you and your server) or due to a CPU bootleneck (if you are on some overloaded VPS node for example). Not much you can do about it, unfortunately. The approach pointed by @JoeMerit can help in certain circumstances too.

@Amitz @joodle thank you very much guys! I'm really glad it's helpful to many people, way more than what I expected when I first published the initial version and that's when I've continued maintaining/improving it over the years :)

For anyone curious: the main branch is currently sitting at some thousands of installs each month, which at least for me and a project like this seems like a lot. Thank you guys for all the love.

Thanked by 3Amitz GM2015 vimalware
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Well, you don't get love from my part, but a big thanks only. Enjoy love from women, not some lowendguys.

I've got this openvpn running on my new kidechire. It's good value for money, storage and learning wise. Thanks.

Regarding speed problems, it might be that speedof.me tester isn't really up to the task. I don't use flash, so I'm not going to use ookla or what http://www.speedtest.net/. Anyway, the speed is very good, so far very usable even on android. It was a bit slow at first on O2 3G network, but it works.

Openvpn gui for windows works a bit strange sometimes. I've just noticed if I set it up properly, the whole pc uses my vpn, from outlook to rdp to firefox. Gmail doesn't like you logging in from a different geo ip :(.

Nyr said: sudo apt-get thanksnyr

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • GM2015 said: Gmail doesn't like you logging in from a different geo ip :(.

Gmail doesn't give two fucks, I log in from lots of different places. It'll warn you the first couple of times, but then it's all cool.

• Interesting. I always lose gmail accounts from being locked out. That's why I stopped using gmail plus I don't really love the idea of them scanning my emails for advertising.

Nekki said: Gmail doesn't give two fucks, I log in from lots of different places. It'll warn you the first couple of times, but then it's all cool.

• GM2015 said: Interesting. I always lose gmail accounts from being locked out. That's why I stopped using gmail plus I don't really love the idea of them scanning my emails for advertising.

Gmail has it's benefits, just so long as you're aware of the negatives it's nothing to avoid.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @GM2015 said:
    Gmail doesn't like you logging in from a different geo ip :(.

Yeah true in my case as well. Google has forced me to change my password several times due to this. -_-

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Well, sometimes they're fine if you are logging in from home(say broadbrand provider 1) and use gmail from your phone(phonenet provider 2). They obviously won't block you for having a changing ip on your ip while travelling.

They are mostly fine from my observation if you live in the North of your country and use a different IP from a different city for example from down south of your country.

But hell yeah they love blocking people if you login from a different country for the first time. I'm in UK, they blocked my account for trying out openvpn on a online.net IP in France.

angrysnarl said: Yeah true in my case as well. Google has forced me to change my password several times due to this. -_-

• Do you guys use 2FA with Gmail? I do, maybe that's the difference?

• No, most of my gmail accounts are throwaway ones.

Nekki said: Do you guys use 2FA with Gmail? I do, maybe that's the difference?

• I stopped using hotmail, gmail, facebook, paypal (mostly) and a few other things because they kept locking me out. It's like they have never travelled and used wifi at an airport.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @GM2015

It was a bit slow at first on O2 3G network, but it works.

Found the issue

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @Nyr said:

Debian-based systems and generate certs/config automagically.

Any plan to add centos compatibility to this?

MonsteR said: Any plan to add centos compatibility to this?

CenOS support was added some time ago and it's working great :)

Thanked by 1MonsteR
  • I havn't use this script yet, I will. But beofre I want to knowfew question:
    1. If I use port 53 instead of 1194 then will it use DNS Tunnel Mode? Or should I change something else to make it work with DNS mode?
    2. How can I change manually port later?
    3. Is there any way I can setup VPN server on my windows VPS's?

• angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
    edited September 2015

@Nekki said:
    Do you guys use 2FA with Gmail? I do, maybe that's the difference?

Most prolly. I don't use 2FA, my Gmail account isn't my main email anyway.

Just to keep things on topic: thanks @Nyr for the script, using it on 3 VPSs. :)

Thanked by 2GM2015 Nyr
  • Awesome work @Nyr, i have been using this script for a while now on my dedis and VPS's

i would really want for this to work on openWRT as well, as im always having troubles setting up openvpn there... ill give you a case of beers if someone gets that working :)