Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Linode be the nightmare for other providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will Linode be the nightmare for other providers?

xiyanxiyan Member
edited February 2017 in General

What are your plans on 5 $ level?

Please highlight the advantages of your plan compared to linode.

Comments

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited February 2017

why dont you do your own research, they have all the information on their website plus are giving away tons of free credit for you to try.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • LightSail has a $5.00 package too.. doesn't mean anything.

• Vultr isn't a LES provider though they have some users and maybe staff here. Vultr, Linode, DO etc. are all pretty comparable now, each with its own small differences. Basically compare for yourself. I don't think any are nightmares for the others. They're all midrange products, therefore a bit fancy for us low end users. They like enterprisey customers with lots of servers so it's more about the server management than the hardware resources that LET users are more concerned with.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited February 2017

JoeMerit said: why dont you do your own research

There are many things to compare except price. I just want to know the others providers's advantages compared to linode which are not showed in their website.

Thanked by 1salakis
  • VortexMagnus said: LightSail has a $5.00 package

For me, it's not good to use even though it's a famous brand.
    Network is slow in USA.

• @VortexMagnus said:
    LightSail has a $5.00 package too.. doesn't mean anything.

Fuck Bezos. There, I said it.

• Nope, only if they start sell for $2 per month.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

I think it is more likely the other way around, I think it is the nightmare that other providers are creating for Linode that has pushed them to do this.

They no longer have a market edge, they were forced to drop Xen because it became an administrative nightmare once the Xen guys started to try and keep up with KVM and offered no substantial performance gains any more.

Now they are on KVM they are competing directly with Vultr/DO who have made spinning up a VPS so ridiculously simple.

Linode were known for great performance and great support, however modern hardware/SSD caching etc and generally better networks have naturally killed their big performance advantage, last time I used them I was shocked how poor it was (Xen days) given the reputation they have.

The support element is still there, but if they are relying on that then they only attract customers who need and want it which is very heavy work staff wise.

That leaves the other 80 / 90% who know enough to get by and can live with <6 hour response times instead of <30 minutes.

When 80 - 90% of your potential customer base can go elsewhere for at least the same performance at half the cost you have a problem.

This is why they dropped to $5 I suspect, Linode are Linode though, they will recognise weakness and market changes and evolve.

BurstNET (if you remember them) who had the same website from 1993, did services very cheap and publicly laughed at customers who expected any sort of service beyond basic.

BurstNET failed to evolve or recognize market changes and completely lost their unique selling point, I say point because they only had 1, they were cheap, then the LEB world came along, and they were no longer cheap but deffinatley worse in every possible way.

BurstNET went bust within a few years of losing their USP.

Is it hard to complete with a Linode level service offering 1GB Ram and 20GB space on a DDOS protected network for $5.00 ? no and I do it cheaper too

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Well, a lot of these "cloud" providers are swimming in investors' money and not really turning a profit. I'm not sure about Linode specifically, but they seem to feel threatened by LightSail or maybe DO/Vultr is taking their market share. In any case, the $5 pricing won't really be a "nightmare" for other providers as there's already providers around here that have cheaper pricing - if we're strictly talking about cost.

Here are some advantages with a smaller/different company:

• Better support. More personalized and the agents usually have more time to assist you. Larger companies will usually not assist you with anything specific and will tell you to search their large pool of tutorials.
    • More flexibility. You can most likely contact their support to meet your specific needs. There's also usually a larger variety of services instead of having "one size fits all" aimed at a super broad audience.
    • Cheaper additions. While Linode may have introduced a $5 per month plan, with other companies you can get larger plans and upgrades for cheaper. You can also get cheaper bandwidth overages, additional IPs, DDoS protection, Windows licensing, and other services.
    • Smaller plans. If you need less than a 1GB plan, with other companies you can save money by going with the plan size you actually require. While 1GB for $5 may sound good, 512MB for $4 may be better if it's all you need.
    • Locations. Linode is not going to have all the locations you need. Neither is any host, so it's not just about price. Sometimes you need to find that smaller company that has more obscure locations or locations closer to you.
    • Terms of Service. Other companies may have different or nicer terms of service. The bigger the company, the more of your soul you usually have to sign away. They have legal teams and if there's a disagreement they'll usually send your debt to a collection agency.
  • @xiyan said:
    For me, it's not good to use even though it's a famous brand.
    Network is slow in USA.

Surely it's not slow in the USA, but slow to you.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2017

busbr said: Surely it's not slow in the USA, but slow to you.

Nope it is slow from/to pretty much anywhere. And not just network, Lightsail I/O and CPU are terrible too.

• Speaking of websites from the 90's, I love these guys and they're cheaper than even the $5 linode offer:

https://prgmr.com

• willie said: Speaking of websites from the 90's, I love these guys and they're cheaper than even the $5 linode offer:

https://prgmr.com

I came across them a couple of years ago but have never signed up. I like the fact that they're so BSD-friendly. Their pricing never quite convinced me (but now looking again, it's not so bad), together with my impression that they didn't seem to be well-known. But their slogan "We don't assume you are stupid" is great.

• angstrom said: Their pricing never quite convinced me (but now looking again, it's not so bad),

Their pricing was way outside the LET spectrum til recently. They modernized their web site too. It was even more retro before :).

• Such geek and simple site.

• busbr said: but slow to you

What makes you are sure that I makes things wrong?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Linode were known for great performance and great support,

and a good control panel which is showing its age when compared to DO/Vultr.

regarding the topic Linode $5 isnt a game changer.
    You can get their specs at $20/y from smaller providers.
    I agree with Anthony. It isn't Linode that is changing the market but the market changing Linode. Their selling point will be Japan for $5.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited February 2017

VirMach said: More personalized and the agents usually have more time to assist you. Larger companies will usually not assist you with anything specific and will tell you to search their large pool of tutorials

It's different to different clients, I prefer tutorials to save my time. I wasn't ever refused by a large company if I have a specific need and they will not stop helping me if I don't close the ticket. I believe large companies usually has better support because have quite enough clients to find problems and time tells it. So , how can a small and new company say the have better support and make clients trust it?

VirMach said: More flexibility. You can most likely contact their support to meet your specific needs. There's also usually a larger variety of services instead of having "one size fits all" aimed at a super broad audience.

Please state it with more details . Linode has a hours billing which most low end providers don't have. Clients have to make their machine running with nothing once they don't need the service for a period while they can't just stop service with linode if they just want to do a test or don't need for a peroid , this is the real flexibility.

VirMach said: Cheaper additions. While Linode may have introduced a $5 per month plan, with other companies you can get larger plans and upgrades for cheaper. You can also get cheaper bandwidth overages, additional IPs, DDoS protection, Windows licensing, and other services.

Numbers speak for everything, just show your price here.

VirMach said: Smaller plans. If you need less than a 1GB plan, with other companies you can save money by going with the plan size you actually require. While 1GB for $5 may sound good, 512MB for $4 may be better if it's all you need.

While 1GB for $5 may sound good, 512MB for $4 may be better if it's all you need.
    So the clients have to transfer to anther provider if they have want 1G RAM? I don't want to do it if other providers don't give a crazy price.

VirMach said: Locations. Linode is not going to have all the locations you need. Neither is any host, so it's not just about price. Sometimes you need to find that smaller company that has more obscure locations or locations closer to you.

I agree.

VirMach said: Terms of Service. Other companies may have different or nicer terms of service. The bigger the company, the more of your soul you usually have to sign away. They have legal teams and if there's a disagreement they'll usually send your debt to a collection agency.

I believe a strict TOS can't make the server more stable and I would like to do everything under the law.

Besides, your service is quite good but the network is not stable on my side some times.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

Tion said: I agree with Anthony.

Me too. He pretty much put the points on Is and crossed the Ts.
    For people which more or less had only linode some 7-8 years ago, this is a blast from the past and a cue to revisit their nostalgia place, however, they are far from being unique, the best and so on. There is so much choice int he market these days if you know what you are doing, it is impossible not to find a cheap deal almost perfect for your needs at that time.
    I am totally not impressed, I just wonder what took them so long and I fear they may be in trouble.

• jenkki said: Nope, only if they start sell for $2 per month.

Yeah, such price might kill most low end providers but it might make their service worse.

• willie said: enterprisey customers

I would like to follow the enterprisey customers's choice if the price is not that expensive and it makes me worry less.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited February 2017

AnthonySmith said: That leaves the other 80 / 90% who know enough to get by and can live with <6 hour response times instead of <30 minutes.

When 80 - 90% of your potential customer base can go elsewhere for at least the same performance at half the cost you have a problem.
    This is why they dropped to $5 I suspect, Linode are Linode though, they will recognise weakness and market changes and evolve.
    BurstNET (if you remember them) who had the same website from 1993, did services very cheap and publicly laughed at customers who expected any sort of service beyond basic.
    BurstNET failed to evolve or recognize market changes and completely lost their unique selling point, I say point because they only had 1, they were cheap, then the LEB world came along, and they were no longer cheap but deffinatley worse in every possible way.
    BurstNET went bust within a few years of losing their USP.
    Is it hard to complete with a Linode level service offering 1GB Ram and 20GB space on a DDOS protected network for $5.00 ? no and I do it cheaper too

I like the way you give your opinion with specific numbers . I just wonder how you get these numbers?

• xiyan said:

I would like to follow the enterprisey customers's choice if the price is not that expensive and it makes me worry less.

It won't help you. Do you need to deploy code to 1000 vps at the same time? Block storage with 17 levels of access control (exaggerating)? Stuff like that. AWS spent a lot of money implementing that stuff for its enterprisey customers and that's reflected in EC2 prices, but it's not something that most LET users will find any value in.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

xiyan said: I like the way you give your opinion with specific numbers

You can't have hard numbers in this industry, we can only give guestimates which are closer to the truth as we have more experience and more individual cases we could analyze. I would trust Anthony 80-85% ;)

• AnthonySmith said: BurstNET went bust within a few years of losing their USP.

Plus VolumeDrive's snatch and grab in the middle of the night

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited February 2017

willie said: It won't help you.

I mean enterprisey customers's choice can prove a company has a good enough reputation . Some newcomers may not willing to waste time and money to experience deffirent small providers by taking risk of enjoying unstable service or having sad stories.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

xiyan said: I like the way you give your opinion with specific numbers . I just wonder how you get these numbers?

It is just an estimate of between 80 to 90%, nothing specific, obviously I cant have their internal figures but I have been in the industry a while I speak with a lot of other hosts big and small on a regular basis.

Essentially an educated guess.

In much the same way that if you work for an estate agent you get a feel for your metrics and can probably fairly accurately overlay than on to other estate agents even if the scales are different.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @AnthonySmith said:

xiyan said: I like the way you give your opinion with specific numbers . I just wonder how you get these numbers?

It is just an estimate of between 80 to 90%, nothing specific, obviously I cant have their internal figures but I have been in the industry a while I speak with a lot of other hosts big and small on a regular basis.

Essentially an educated guess.

In much the same way that if you work for an estate agent you get a feel for your metrics and can probably fairly accurately overlay than on to other estate agents even if the scales are different.

Thank you for your reply.

• How come you mostly ignore the OVH public cloud? 2GB VPS for 3€ (if billed monthly, otherwise 6€).
    Free internal Network, failover IPs, OpenStack Horizon. Pretty decent :)

Thanked by 2rm_ doughmanes
  • Linode had a name, lost it and is trying to regain it when its way more competitive back when they were enjoying their name.