Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a Web control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a Web control panel

Hello, i've got a question. I got a OVH vps laying around and i want to run some WordPress websites on it.

What should i use, i dont want to have a DNS Server and mailserver.

I've seen some web panels like: Virtualmin, VestaCP and many more.
With one you suggest?

Comments

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

I personally prefer VestaCP

• ardaarda Member
    edited February 2017

Vesta / Ajenti + Ajenti-v / ISPConfig.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

VestaCP is a solid panel, there are some other options like zPanel which is a free cPanel lookalike.

• Virtualmin all the way...

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • Ajenti is severely borked, so don't use it.

Vesta's stable and easy to use.

• zPanel is famous with security holes, which is why they re-branded themselves to Sentora. I wouldn't personally use zpanel / sentora.

The good thing with Ajenti+Ajenti-v is that if you know what you're doing, it's the most feature rich panel in my opinion. I've used over a year and was quite happy during that time. E.g: you can manage django, nodejs and php sites (or anything running from any port) from same interface.

Nowadays I'm not using a panel, but usually I suggest vesta to my friends. Make sure you see and use the custom install command on the website.

There's also froxlor, I've heard good things about that but never used to be honest.

• My favorite is ServerPilot but currently using Vesta which is nice.

• Isn't zpanel/sentora dead project? CentOS webpanel is another one that looks promising, haven't tried it.
    VestaCP for sure.

• hostenshostens Member, Host Rep

If you are only planning to host Wordpress websites go with Serverpilot. However if you want to have control panel with GUI on the server then probably VestaCP will be enough.

• There is VirtualMin and then there is all that rest.

Thanked by 3vimalware sin alaningus
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

VestaCP is great. No issues after 8 months using it.

• Centos Web Panel is awsome

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

HostBastic said: zPanel

A quick google will convince you to stay far away fro zpanel for security reasons.

So why virtualmin over vestacp? I'm not using either atm but curious.

• I use Virtualmin in production

• I use Webuzo in many servers.

• Keyhelp though it comes with no install options so you get DNS and Mail server which you can deactivate after installation.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

And don't forget vpssim.

• raindog308 said: And don't forget vpssim.

On that topic, there is also http://centminmod.com/

Thanked by 3eva2000 Junkless kaflo
  • @HungryVM said:
    zpanel is pretty good :)

Only if you want to get hacked.

• CentminMod but it's a control panel via SSH and a bash script.

People should be banned for zPanel recommendation.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

Paid - Plesk
    Free - VestaCP

Or use CentminMod if you are fine w/o web panel but want a super easy way to manage everything over SSH.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • Virtualmin.

The last time I tried VestaCP (I think it was 0.9.8-16) there was a ton of Javascript refactoring and while they fixed it in Git you had to manually pull the changes because the version number was never bumped. That was a deal-breaker for me.

• VestaCP is pretty, but overpowered, and outdated. It pulls it's own builds and does quite a few other things to make sure stuff works- but then you are almost as reliant on them as you would be with CPanel.

Virtualmin/Webmin are designed to generally work pretty well with what is available with your distribution, and although the design and flow can feel a bit dated, it's one of the less resource-intensive web-based management systems that exist.

• If you are going to host only domain only, I would suggest going with Webmin? It gives the best control of your server.

• If the Wordpress sites are your own and you'll be the only person using the panel, is putting it only on localhost and accessing thru an ssh tunnel a reasonable way to deal with the panel's security issues?

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • Somebody said plesk, is the end of the world, get down.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Ive been looking into Centinmod and vpssim. Thaise must be quite secure right because they dont have a cp

• MridulMridul Member
    edited February 2017

As @willie suggested, +1 for that..besides the security plus, it also means lesser loads.
    Though KloxoMR and VestaCP both are known to be light and fast.

• Why not use Sentora?

• no bare console users?

@Ympker said:
    Why not use Sentora?

full of exploits. not safe.

This discussion has been closed.