Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DO Load Balancers launched
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DO Load Balancers launched

Don't know if it has been announced here already:

https://www.digitalocean.com/products/load-balancer/

Starting at 20 bucks / month...

Your thought?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Now available in all data center regions"

If only block storage was :-(

Well, it wouldn't be a LET thread if we didn't start with a complaint.

Nice feature...I assume this is some sort of HA F5-like experience where you can just "assume it will work" like the network itself. Abstracting HA is always nice so you don't have to solve that higher up the stack.

Linode has NodeBalancers...this leaves only Vultr as missing this feature now...

Now in theory one could offer this based on commodity hardware without the expense of buying fancy dedicated network gear...perhaps something a hungry young host will consider.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: Now in theory one could offer this based on commodity hardware without the expense of buying fancy dedicated network gear...perhaps something a hungry young host will consider.

I've been spec'ing it out with some customers but it comes down to 'more featureful' or 'easy as a couple clicks to enable'.

Personally, the customers in question want all the power we provide (LB any type of traffic, etc).

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2017

Pretty exciting. Obviously still cheaper, and potentially even easier (with SSL), to build your own LB out of a droplet. But this is something a lot of people were asking for.

But there's value to not having to deal with the scale of resource usage by the LB, and this will definitely be cheaper than rolling your own for some people.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • Wouldn't a single droplet limit you to 100Mbps though? @jarland

• keem5tarkeem5tar Member
    edited February 2017

@luissousa said:
    Wouldn't a single droplet limit you to 100Mbps though? @jarland

Each droplet should have 1Gbps. At least I can get that speed on my droplets.

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • lowendspirit does this with HAProxy though it's not single click setup.

edited February 2017

@luissousa said:

Each droplet will have access to 1Gbps at minimum. Many will have more... may even be that all have more, my memory is failing at the moment. (Taking time off, gets my head out of the game)

• @keem5tar said:

@luissousa said:

Each droplet should have 1Gbps. At least I can get that speed on my droplets.

@jarland said:

@luissousa said:

Each droplet will have access to 1Gbps at minimum. Many will have more... may even be that all have more, my memory is failing at the moment. (Taking time off, gets my head out of the game)

I thought they were at 100Mbps. Good to know!

• Would be interesting what capicity their load-balancers have? More than 10gbps?

@tr1cky said:
    Would be interesting what capicity their load-balancers have? More than 10gbps?

Fair question. I'll be sure to ask it once I get back in the swing of things.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

@luissousa said:

My tests yesterday were showing that FRA and SFO2 have 10 Gbps, while all other locations seem to have 1 Gbps.