Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ / VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ / VPN

williclarkamwilliclarkam Member
edited February 2017 in General

Hey everyone,

So I have bought recently a VPS (based on OpenVZ-Technology), it was a promo, so I get it for pretty cheap (like < 2 Euro/Month), and the specs are pretty good.
I am going to use this server as a private VPN server (only for myself [Max: 4-5 devices]).
I am not going to host anything special, like pictures, videos, my website or ... .
I was reading this thread "https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/42396/how-secure-is-data-in-a-openvz-container" and it got me somehow worried.
I want to know, if I setup OpenVPN / SoftEther and some other VPN technologies, will the provider be able to see my search history?
Most of the times I am using a VPN when accessing the internet (like 90% of times), and this got me worried, if they can see, which websites I am accessing or what I am exactly doing, or my Emails and ... .

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited February 2017

This can be avoided by

A) trusting your provider

B) not keeping logs

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • @maldovia said:
    This can be avoided by

A) trusting your provider

B) not keeping logs

Thanks for answering.
    So even though OpenVPN encrypts data, the provider will be able to see the decrypted data? Right?

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

You can also use a public DNS, etc instead of your hosting providers DNS, but generally must providers don't go looking through customers servers/VPSs or private data unless the server gets pulled by the FBI or something crazy like that.

Generally they can't, and most providers like OVH have automated systems that detect for UDP packet floods, etc which is all automated so generally there is no need for them to ever look through your internet traffic, personal data on your server, or anything else unless of course legal action, etc happens.

OpenVPN is also encrypted as well so no one can sniff your traffic and get data that way unless they can break the encrypted TCP packets which is unlikely someone would go to those extremes.

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • @ethancedrik said:
    You can also use a public DNS, etc instead of your hosting providers DNS, but generally must providers don't go looking through customers servers/VPSs or private data unless the server gets pulled by the FBI or something crazy like that.

Thanks a lot for answering.
    I definitely use another DNS provider (my own dnscrypt proxy, on some other server).
    No, nothing illegal. I just don't like, people seeing what I do (respecting my privacy). That's all.

Thanks.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it, you could also ask your provider what their policies on data security and privacy would be as well.

Thanked by 1williclarkam