Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Webdesigners recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Webdesigners recommendations

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited May 2013 in General
Hi,

Anyone here who knows a good webdesigner?
Need a nice theme for a minecraft hosting company
Need around 3 pages

PM's are welcome :)

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
  • zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    I highly recommend http://wiredberry.com/, they designed my KickStarter site and Daryl has been very very active in engaging his clients and understanding the ideas I have.
  • @joodle there are tons of templates out there--Please don't pay some one to "design" your "special one of a kind site" or any thing they will end up reusing any way
    I know a web freak that might brand a nice template for free PM me for his Skype
  • ipxadamipxadam Member
    I agree with @natestamm
    don't pay some one to "design" your "special one of a kind site"

We bought our design from themeforest.net but unless you know a bit about css you will still need a web designer to suite the theme to your needs.
  • BrandonBrandon Member
    What is your budget?
  • bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    Brandon wrote: »
    What is your budget?

That would be good to know.
  • ModulesGardenModulesGarden Member
    edited May 2013
    If you want to stand out from the crowd, design made from scratch is a way to achieve that I think.
    If you are able to spend at least a few hundred dollars I recommend the RS Studio: [email protected]
  • @ModulesGarden said:
    If you want to stand out from the crowd, design made from scratch is a way to achieve that I think.
    If you are able to spend at least a few hundred dollars I recommend the RS Studio: [email protected]

There are no designs made from scratch. And as I've just had to explain to @Zen if you are a designer or developer starting with <HTML> and a blank file

in your favorite editor you are wasting yours and your clients time and money.

• That's really whacked out at least IMHO, and any one doing that is fighting a war of attrition, the industry will weed them out and force them to sink or swim.
    And by the way @ipxadam I think most designs from themeforest are alright,,

however few are versioned and for any major CMS they should be.

Again, let the laws of nature work that out and Call me nuts if you like. You will wince the first time you spend the forty bucks or so they get and realize it is made for a diff version of your application.

• And just so @Zen gets the picture here's my example in action. Every time I asked him about his little server management script in python

Whatever he was doing with it "Oh it's not ready for production yet I'm still working on it"

Well sorry brother But while you've spent months blowing off something that could be simple if you evidently weren't coding it "ground up"

I've found some thing wrapped up Bootstrap that looks beautiful, shockingly similar, minimalistic, and gives me all the same statistics that I needed.
    So yeah that's rude? Pff I don't think so. That's my new open source platform for monitoring my servers and establishing my peace of mind.
    I guess the twenty bucks+ a month wasn't worth it, But at least while coding "ground up" you'll learn some thing.

• @natestamm said:
    There are no designs made from scratch.

You made my day :)

• @Zen said:
    not offended

I'm not putting holes on my walls over this But respectfully I am offended. And it was that PM you sent.

If you separate designers, coders, programmers, and developers you aren't in tune with the current state of web...development. Web creation. There are great designers out there I have worked with that can take the so called Photoshop concepts and "designs" you mention you need into a near-template ready state.

There are coders who can program your applications. And if you need to call them Developers fine I disagree in that there are themers that can take the design concepts slice them up and put together your layouts.

I just didn't like the way you put it and I still think you don't get the way that the industry has evolved and how that can offend someone that considers themself above slaving in Photoshop for a "design". This isn't about work for me at all..Your PM to me was in response to my more frequent offerings of free work in these threads..I just didn't like some one saying it was a 'shame' this or that then the 'developers' thing and the 'edits here and there'. Whatever reason you feel you DO need designs done in Photoshop is half the problem since I am offering so much of my opinion here. Some of the best build outs might begin using "designs". They are called concepts. But you can't mimic all that CSS3 and HTML5 has to offer by way of Photoshop. You need to learn to present fully working concepts to your clients in real time.

I worked with one company that had exactly this kind of myopia in paying damned good, albeit somewhat unworthy salaries to designers that couldn't fix their own themes through an inspector worth a shit and self prescribed programmers who couldn't work in the applications they created either. Development and creation is all that matters now and what you might call edits I call branding. It's funny THAT is why I'm glad I am in college!

• @Zen said:
    consumers standpoint

Do you know all that kind of thinking will lead you to is "Oh well I'm sorry Bob let me get ahold of the designers and we'll figure it out".

"Well I need to talk to our programmers and see why that's happening".
    That's so pre 2010--Your clients deserve better than to be run around like that. It might not be friendly advice per se But don't let yourself get hung up on the myth of the full service agency.

You'll end up constantly juggling Invoices sent and received when the right sources will provide a better package. Keep your design work as free as possible and your modules, plugins and extensions Premium Paid. That's how you give the large consumers the best bang for their buck and smaller ones/ "we needed this payment form done yesterday" deadlines.

• @ModulesGarden any one who tries to insinuate their company is providing a design made from scratch is a thief and a lier.
    And I say a little prayer every night that one day a client will expose them for it or some one affiliated with their own company.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

@Zen said:
    some websites...deep down they are unique.

...customized, branded...FINE cleverly and creatively "designed" sure, but scratch? unique? Marketing ploooooooooy.

And that's why I don't need that in my PM, say that here don't try to BS me @Zen and friends...

aaand my point is made.

• KiiperKiiper Member
    edited May 2013

@natestamm said:
    ...customized, branded...FINE cleverly and creatively "designed" sure, but scratch? unique? Marketing ploooooooooy.

So you're telling me, someone hand coding a site, or shit /shock horror/ Using tools like Dreamweaver or Silverlight means that it isn't made from scratch? Guy you need to open your eyes and learn what the words you're using are.

Oh noes! They used a .js that was used on another site somewhere in the internet OH SHIT YOU PLAGIARIZERS. using pre-existing products to enhance the rest of your development piece hardly makes your a bad designer/coder/etc. It simply makes you efficient at what you're working on.

It is thought patterns like yours that have guaranteed that the human race will continue it's current stagnation in the developments of new technologies.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

@Kiiper of course that means it isn't made from scratch. And I don't think that was exactly what I's told by this turd in a PM. And I agree with YOU in fact. You still shouldn't call it made from scratch. You are using the tools as you should available to you to get your job done. I would always use those tools to assist in Development.That wasn't what was said to me and I wouldn't call any one involved in said development to be simply making "edits here and there" either. In fact you're the first person that seems to have jumped in and displayed your ignorance of my offense here. And I've always been a proponent of new technologies. That's why I've done contracted work for marketing agencies that pull in 30 million a year and handle all their development through iMacs and others-Which sounds as stupid and pompous as the ranting reply you threw up here. I'll bet you wouldn't know how to setup a Cake document root if it bit you in the *patootie.

using pre-existing products to enhance the rest of your development piece hardly makes your a bad designer/coder/etc. It simply makes you efficient at what you're working on.

Yes thank you for making my entire point. Google the thread name and try reading again from the start, you need to start over on this little one.

I'm done on this I threw first But it was over a *bull stuff / insulting PM I got from @Zen after offering free work to some one else not even him at all? That alone makes me raise my brow. No you aren't coding any thing made from scratch and Yes the actual future of the industry is to as much cookie cutter "unique" and fast development. Not lies over "ground up" and convoluted interactions with clients as I said lines above. If you don't understand do me a favor and jump out a window.

*http://onlineslangdictionary.com

• @Zen designs can be unique and from ground up. I agree with that. All the talk about using templates and you shouldn't build things yourself.

Well who builds these templates? Someone.
    Who builds these frameworks? Someone.

So if you want a "template" built just for you, I'm sure that exists. What's wrong with that?

@natestamm
    I don't get the argument here either. Do we have to define from scratch? You mean you didn't invent your own language and coded in HTML so that's not from scratch? You used a markup language? 0.o Time to code in machine code. Do I need to somehow build my own computer parts? I used a tool called a computer.

That's like saying why would you create a new database when one exists? There might be a need for it. If everyone simply says use the existing one, it does the job, it starves innovation. Who knows? Someone could create something never thought of.

Often frameworks are heavily bloated as it tries to support absolutely everything and you might not need it. Sometimes you either need to heavily modify it or write your own. Lots of examples I see this has been done for proper enterprise application where there are large teams working on it for months. Who knows? @Zen might be working on something like that.