Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone made a daemen that Forwarding IPv4 Ports to IPv6-only Hosts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone made a daemen that Forwarding IPv4 Ports to IPv6-only Hosts?

I know it can be done with socat, but has anyone wrote the software to daemenize the functionality and give it a configuration file similar to iptables-persistant? Forwarding the IPv4 packets makes so much more sense than running a dual stack to me because you don't have to use Internal IP addresses at all, or configure twice as many firewalls and routes.

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

HAProxy and alikes.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited February 2017

Pretty sure you need 'dual-stack' , since it is the OS kernel that munches the IP datagram first, anyway.

If you choose to do the forward in userspace(L7) , you might want to go with something simple and provably secure, like Putnam-fellow Colin Percival's spiped.

+No openssl dependency here, since it's just a symmetric AES encrypted pipe, based on a shared static key.

I think this is the easiest to automate via your CM tool of choice.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Yes, it's called 6tunnel, it can forward both ways (v4->v6, v6->v4).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

vimalware said: Pretty sure you need 'dual-stack' , since it is the OS kernel that munches the IP datagram first, anyway.

I think you're right.

vimalware said: If you choose to do the forward in userspace(L7) , you might wants to go with something simple and provably secure, like Putnam-fellow Colin Percival's spiped.

+1 spiped is excellent.