Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question - how many people would be interested in NAT dedicated servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question - how many people would be interested in NAT dedicated servers?

FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
edited February 2017 in Requests

Hey,
i was wondering - how many people on here would buy for ex. these servers if i start selling them:

Core2duo E8400
4GB DDR2
160GB SATA
50Mbit unmetered (200mbit for +5$)
1x NAT IPv4, 100 open ports
For something like 5 eur a month

Or little NAT ipv4 vpses with 512mb mem, 20gb disk, 100mbit unmetered for 3$ a year or something

let me know ;)

UPDATE:

It's going to be NAT VPS, look at sheet below:

Comments

• Do you still get a /64 IPv6? If you only get 1xIPv4 NAT, I'd probably not have a use for it being online since I'd be severely limited as to what services I could setup (people are too dumb to add port numbers).

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Is the 5 eur a month a joke?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @netomx said:
    Is the 5 eur a month a joke?

Nope

@WSS said:
    Do you still get a /64 IPv6? If you only get 1xIPv4 NAT, I'd probably not have a use for it being online since I'd be severely limited as to what services I could setup (people are too dumb to add port numbers).

Ill look into IPv6 for you, ill pm you within the next 12 hrs

Thanked by 1WSS
  • But are you selling them out from your basement since you only have one IPv4?

Thanked by 1WSS
  • At the very least you should include an option (with the dedi) for a full ipv4 address for additional payment.

Aside from that, create a company and get a provider tag.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited February 2017

@myhken said:
    But are you selling them out from your basement since you only have one IPv4?

Not out of my basement, in my local town we have a small community 'datacenter' with a 4x500mbit backbone from XS4ALL.nl, with 32 ipv4 in a dedicated location. We mostly do hobby stuff out of there but it would be nice if we can earn some money to cover some costs/bills

Contacting provider currently about IPv6.

@teamacc said:
    At the very least you should include an option (with the dedi) for a full ipv4 address for additional payment.

Aside from that, create a company and get a provider tag.

We're currently working on creating a company. :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Why wuold anyone pay the $5 eur monthly having cheaper options?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited February 2017

FoxelVox said:
    Or little NAT ipv4 vpses with 512mb mem, 20gb disk, 100mbit unmetered for 3$ a year or something

Would definetly be interested, but IPv6 is always a big plus, esp. when it comes to NAT VPS.

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited February 2017

A option to buy a IP later will be a nice option. But i like the deal. Where can i sign in for the beta? And is the location the Netherlands?

• @netomx said:
    Why wuold anyone pay the $5 eur monthly having cheaper options?

Some of us just have a soft spot for Core2s. (Literally the laptop that has survived 10 years of abuse- old enough to be and AMD/Intel bundle- and despite video glitching when it gets hot- it JUST WON'T DIE).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Is it also possible to "colo" your own hardware? maybe that is interested to :)

• Personally, no.

• @royed said:
    Is it also possible to "colo" your own hardware? maybe that is interested to :)

Someone colo'd a laptop recently.

• Most servers are bought because they can be virtualized. So, NAT will not be an option. If someone will not need the dedicated ipv4 (e.g. to host a website using cloudflare's translation or reverse proxy, to host a proxy in custom ports, to host some apps, for streaming etc.), he could use for the same price far better and more powerful options than an old core2duo.
    NAT vps is nice because you can host a small website or proxy, spending 2-5$ per year. Not to mention that there are options nowadays to get a full dedicated spending 8-15$ per month with ipv4, in good datacenter with guaranteed speed (not some custom made something like datacenters with not datacenter grade traffic and redundant power).
    IMO, dedicated without an ipv4 for 5$ per month is useless.

Thanked by 2WSS netomx
  • I will be offering colocation once we're settled in the Previder DC1 location.
    For now, i have some great news; We are getting 1024 IPv6 adresses from our provider free of charge, it will be delivered next week. We only need to figure out how we can set it up the best way in our Mikrotik Router.

As for the NAT VPSes, a friend of mine is currently creating a website for it.

• @jvnadr said:
    Most servers are bought because they can be virtualized. So, NAT will not be an option. If someone will not need the dedicated ipv4 (e.g. to host a website using cloudflare's translation or reverse proxy, to host a proxy in custom ports, to host some apps, for streaming etc.), he could use for the same price far better and more powerful options than an old core2duo.
    NAT vps is nice because you can host a small website or proxy, spending 2-5$ per year. Not to mention that there are options nowadays to get a full dedicated spending 8-15$ per month with ipv4, in good datacenter with guaranteed speed (not some custom made something like datacenters with not datacenter grade traffic and redundant power).
    IMO, dedicated without an ipv4 for 5$ per month is useless.

Some people need it for ex. a small game server.

I also will be offering NAT vpses starting at 1.75/year with IPv6 support ofcourse. I will launch the beta platform somewere next week.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • @FoxelVox said:
    I will be offering colocation once we're settled in the Previder DC1 location.
    For now, i have some great news; We are getting 1024 IPv6 adresses from our provider free of charge, it will be delivered next week. We only need to figure out how we can set it up the best way in our Mikrotik Router.

Do you mean 1024 /64 ranges or 1024 /128 addresses?

If the latter, xs4all has really gone downhill.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited February 2017

FoxelVox said: 1024 IPv6

Usually you get at least /64 IPv6 prefix from any sane provider.

• @teamacc said:

@FoxelVox said:
    I will be offering colocation once we're settled in the Previder DC1 location.

Do you mean 1024 /64 ranges or 1024 /128 addresses?

If the latter, xs4all has really gone downhill.

The last one.. /64 is like 20 eur which i find ridiculous for ipv6.

@exception0x876 said:

FoxelVox said: 1024 IPv6

Usually you get at least /64 IPv6 prefix from any sane provider.

Welcome to the netherlands my friend.

• @FoxelVox If you can afford to host those machines (power costs, datacenter costs, maintance costs etc.), wouldn't be more viable to rise the price a bit and buy a /24? I am sure that you can find options even for as high as 2,5€ per ip.
    7,5€ per server with dedicated ipv4 in NL would sell like hot bread...

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited February 2017

@jvnadr said:
    @FoxelVox If you can afford to host those machines (power costs, datacenter costs, maintance costs etc.), wouldn't be more viable to rise the price a bit and buy a /24? I am sure that you can find options even for as high as 2,5€ per ip.
    7,5€ per server with dedicated ipv4 in NL would sell like hot bread...

How about Raspberry PI's?
    In Wormer (dataone) i know a guy that can sell me colo for like 25 euro a month (2U / 1amp / 1gbps @ 50tb), i can stack up to 48 RPI's on a plate (i have a 48 port switch laying around), and powering the rpis is easy.

If we're talking intel NUC, like 12 on 2u with a plate. (powerbar + a small 16 port switch)

IPs for me would be 50 cents each

• @jvnadr said:
    @FoxelVox If you can afford to host those machines (power costs, datacenter costs, maintance costs etc.), wouldn't be more viable to rise the price a bit and buy a /24? I am sure that you can find options even for as high as 2,5€ per ip.

My guess is that since it is shared/etc, he's planning on utilizing hardware too old to be useful, and trying to help recoop the costs of their existing janitorial closet. There will likely be no SLA, and downtime will just be a part of life. Still, I find it intriguing.

• @WSS said:

@jvnadr said:

My guess is that since it is shared/etc, he's planning on utilizing hardware too old to be useful, and trying to help recoop the costs of their existing janitorial closet. There will likely be no SLA, and downtime will just be a part of life. Still, I find it intriguing.

Im swiping the NAT dedicated server idea off of the table, unless someone really wants it lol.

Im just gonna do NAT vpses in Previder (a real DC) and expand later on with some atom/i3 dedi's

Thanked by 2brueggus WSS
  • 1) The dedi is a cute idea, I have no trouble with the idea of a NAT dedi, though Atom dedis sometimes show up at those price levels and the Scaleway C1 at 3 euro/month still exists (it takes a few tries to get one). I don't think I'd sign up for now since I have a C1 and a couple of fast x86 dedis. But if you've got the hardware and don't mind the power bills then why not.

2) There's a thriving community using small NAT vps's, check the lowendspirit.com forum sometimes. The one you're describing has more resources than the typical 3 euro/year LES so I wonder about its sustainability. Virtwire tried to do things like that and deadpooled. Also the 100mbps unmetered WILL attract high-traffic users. You're probably better off with a reasonable bw cap.

3) /64 ipv6 per user is nice if you can get it but lots of LES have either smaller subnets (/80, /112) or just a handful of addresses (like 5) and it's fine. So I wouldn't worry about not being able to provide a full /64.

• @willie said:
    1) The dedi is a cute idea, I have no trouble with the idea of a NAT dedi, though Atom dedis sometimes show up at those price levels and the Scaleway C1 at 3 euro/month still exists (it takes a few tries to get one). I don't think I'd sign up for now since I have a C1 and a couple of fast x86 dedis. But if you've got the hardware and don't mind the power bills then why not.

2) There's a thriving community using small NAT vps's, check the lowendspirit.com forum sometimes. The one you're describing has more resources than the typical 3 euro/year LES so I wonder about its sustainability. Virtwire tried to do things like that and deadpooled. Also the 100mbps unmetered WILL attract high-traffic users. You're probably better off with a reasonable bw cap.

3) /64 ipv6 per user is nice if you can get it but lots of LES have either smaller subnets (/80, /112) or just a handful of addresses (like 5) and it's fine. So I wouldn't worry about not being able to provide a full /64.

Thanks a lot mate
    NAT vps would be the best to sell.
    If you're wondering how i got the idea with 512m ram and a core and such -> Xeon E3 1270v5 + 64gb ddr4 + 2x256gb -> 39/mo including colo.

• Starting a company with loss leading ideas. Quick way to get called a scam then deadpool.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @doughmanes said:
    Starting a company with loss leading ideas. Quick way to get called a scam then deadpool.

I only scrapped one idea mate. The NAT VPS idea is still there. no more ideas.

• FoxelVox said: Or little NAT ipv4 vpses with 512mb mem, 20gb disk, 100mbit unmetered for 3$ a year or something

FoxelVox said: If you're wondering how i got the idea with 512m ram and a core and such -> Xeon E3 1270v5 + 64gb ddr4 + 2x256gb -> 39/mo including colo.

2x256 ssd? And you want to offer 20gb per person? People WILL use all the space or almost all, so that severely limits the number of containers. Even with 128 containers (4GB of SSD is pretty good for a LES) you're spending about 3.6 euro/year each.

I think you have to go with a higher # of containers and fewer resources per, which is fine. A 256MB ram, 2GB SSD, 500GB bw/mo at 3 euro (typical LES pricing) would be quite attractive and you can put 256 of them in that server.

Maybe @AnthonySmith can advise?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Don't forget the license costs; billing software, a control panel, like solus or virtualization.

Those licenses cost almost as much as your server per month.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @mikho said:
    Don't forget the license costs; billing software, a control panel, like solus or virtualization.

Those licenses cost almost as much as your server per month.

Add to that the fact that your node wont be fully filled from day one, if it ever gets fully filled.

Plus some paypal chargeback costs from boneheaded individuals.