Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner server bidding alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner server bidding alternatives?

MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
edited February 2017 in General

Do we have any alternatives for Hetzner server bidding? Servers in serverbidding.de are cheap. So please let me know where else to expect the same.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• I have not found any, let me know if you do

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Same quality at comparable or lower price? Haven't seen any yet...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

For CPU power per Euro - without VAT - Hetzner is the cheapest worldwide (outside of special deals here and there with some rarely).

HDD here and there others cheaper, but consistent also Hetzner.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog pike
  • BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited February 2017

This discussion seems dejavu-ish, even down to William essentially giving the "there are no better alternatives" response.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I remember BeardyUnixGuy said something like that in another thread...hm...

twilightzone

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Had some special/clearance deals at i3d and leaseweb (some years ago) and server4you.
    But hetzner is cheapest you can get.

• pike said: leaseweb

Leaseweb clearance were great, sadly they don't seem to offer those cheap servers anymore.. or do they from time to time on a special URL?

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2017

datanoise said:
    Leaseweb clearance were great, sadly they don't seem to offer those cheap servers anymore.. or do they from time to time on a special URL?

I don't think they really do good deals anymore. The are "premium" now, or something.

William said:
    HDD here and there others cheaper, but consistent also Hetzner.

While I agree with the value for some reason I've experienced way more HDD failures with the drives in hetzner server bidding machine than any other comparable cheap provider(ovh, online). Not really sure what that is about.

• Setsura said: way more HDD failures with the drives in hetzner server bidding machine

Suspect it's because they're old machines taken out of regular service. Mine had an almost new hdd and an old, almost-failing one. So I suspect it got taken out when one of its drives actually failed: they replaced the failed one and left the almost-failing one in the machine.

I saw the SMART stats getting worse in my first few days with the server, so I ticketed and they replaced that drive too. So I then had two basically new drives. They're still doing fine, maybe 1.5 years later.

The two drives in my just-acquired Online promo server have around 20k hours (2 years) and seem to be working ok, though I plan to set up some automatic monitoring and self-tests in my copious free time.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2017

willie said:
    Suspect it's because they're old machines taken out of regular service. Mine had an almost new hdd and an old, almost-failing one. So I suspect it got taken out when one of its drives actually failed: they replaced the failed one and left the almost-failing one in the machine.

I saw the SMART stats getting worse in my first few days with the server, so I ticketed and they replaced that drive too. So I then had two basically new drives. They're still doing fine, maybe 1.5 years later.

The two drives in my just-acquired Online promo server have around 20k hours (2 years) and seem to be working ok, though I plan to set up some automatic monitoring and self-tests in my copious free time.

Yeah I'm definitely aware of how those servers are thrown around for quite a while before you likely get them at server bidding. Even still, most ovh/online machines I get with equally aged HDDs seem to fare better. I could just be unlucky since I've only had a small test sample size at hetzner.

• I don't remember many OVH servers with 3TB drives. The failing drive in my Hetzner was a specific model of 3TB Seagate that was horrifically unreliable according to Backblaze statistics. I wonder if they bought a lot of them and that was what you got.

• It is possible, I forgot what model they were since this was like a year or more ago. But they were 3TB drives so maybe.

• @datanoise said:

pike said: leaseweb

I loved them, also they had 50% off for life on each VPS ordered @christmas. And you could decide to go unmetered in their "content network" instead of limited traffic in the "premium network". No good deals there sadly.

Thanked by 1datanoise