Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap windows VPS + onboard GPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap windows VPS + onboard GPU

Hello,

I am looking for a cheap Windows VPS hoster, which has enabled on-board GPU.
Very low-end enough. Intel Atom or AMD APU. It just for a small game to run on it.

<1 ghz, <8GB Diskspace <1GB RAM is enough.

Thanks!

Comments

• https://vpsgamers.com/ perhaps? It's run by VirMach.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Not sure your asking the right thing, a VM running on a host with an onboard GPU such as our i7 hosts seems to have no benefit to the VM. Unless there is a config setting I am unaware of.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited February 2017

AFAIK virtualising GPUs with Windows is only possible with NVidia GRID cards at the moment (not cheap). Other options may include the usual PCI passthrough which is highly unlikely also.

So I suggest to change your requirements to a small dedi with onboard GPU instead.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • pbgben said: a config setting

pci passthrough but unhelpful with integrated gfx

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • Ikoula has a small dedi with a GTX 720 in it.

Worldstream has AMD CPUs, but no idea if they are the variant with GPUs in them atm.

Digicube definitely has a Dedi at 11€ a month with a (really weak) AMD APU though.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • hzr said: pci passthrough but unhelpful with integrated gfx

Integrated GFX actually still causes issues on VFIO with some kernels, recommendation in this case is VMWare which does better passthrough.

No issues on HP or other servers that have one of the small (4-16MB) Matrox cards for boot/IPMI.

• serverofferserveroffer Member, Patron Provider

The price range you are looking for ?

• zer02zer02 Member
    edited February 2017

Something like 10€, I had once used a i7 with GPU for like 49€, but not worth for my requirements :)

You will recognize them by the last two digits. For example i3 3250 -> 50 means with GPU.

Maybe a low-end dedicated, if VPS is not available.

edited February 2017

How does a RDP account sound? NAT

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

I bought a MC-32 for $50 from SoYouStart for this purpose since I get around 20-30ms from OVH BHS, and installed Windows 8.1 Pro on it.

I hate to say it but this isn't as good as it sounds, RDP is TCP so if a packet gets delayed you'll notice it. Secondly I tried Minecraft to start off with, wouldn't launch in RDP. I had to install UltraVNC and then log in as that, start up the game, get it to the title screen then RDP back into it and was able to play like that until the game timed out with Mojangs session servers and had to be restarted.

Next I looked to Steam, which has steam in home streaming. I installed Steam on the server over RDP and then installed some games like Portal 2, TF2 and Terraria. I then had to install Hamachi (tried everything else, only hamachi worked) on the server and client in order for it to think that the server was on the same internal network as the client PC. Then I had to open back up VNC and log in under VNC and then minimize that and then I was able to stream games like TF2, etc perfectly, with some drops in video quality but it was playable. Another interesting thing with using Steam in home streaming is that there was no mouse cursor, but I was able to fix that by enabling an accessibility feature that made it show up. I wish they would enable desktop streaming over Steam in home streaming which I'd prefer over RDP as it's UDP based and works moreso like VMWare Horizon which works amazing.

Next week I will be trying out (or trying to try out) OVH's DeskAAS with GPU which uses VMWare Horizon and NVIDIA GPU passthrough, and I will see how that goes.

I also did NOT try RemoteFX which supposedly allows you to access the GPU while in a RDP session eliminating what I had to do above where I had to start the application under VNC/KVM and then RDP back into the server.

edited February 2017

Side note, on a CentOS 6 Desktop VPS using some kind of driver I honestly can't remember the name of it, it emulated a hardware GPU over software, I was able to launch an OpenGL game and get like 10FPS on it over NoVNC, but that was a while ago.

What game are you trying to run? Does it use OpenGL or DirectX? or something else? will it run on Windows or Linux?

edited February 2017

@pbgben said:
    Not sure your asking the right thing, a VM running on a host with an onboard GPU such as our i7 hosts seems to have no benefit to the VM. Unless there is a config setting I am unaware of.

Yeah in most cases like these I don't even think the VMs can access the onboard GPU (Intel HD Graphics) and use that for acceleration

• liquidsky is your best bet. Get in the queue.

@ethancedrik said:
    I bought a MC-32 for $50 from SoYouStart for this purpose since I get around 20-30ms from OVH BHS, and installed Windows 8.1 Pro on it.

I hate to say it but this isn't as good as it sounds, RDP is TCP so if a packet gets delayed you'll notice it. Secondly I tried Minecraft to start off with, wouldn't launch in RDP. I had to install UltraVNC and then log in as that, start up the game, get it to the title screen then RDP back into it and was able to play like that until the game timed out with Mojangs session servers and had to be restarted.

Next I looked to Steam, which has steam in home streaming. I installed Steam on the server over RDP and then installed some games like Portal 2, TF2 and Terraria. I then had to install Hamachi (tried everything else, only hamachi worked) on the server and client in order for it to think that the server was on the same internal network as the client PC. Then I had to open back up VNC and log in under VNC and then minimize that and then I was able to stream games like TF2, etc perfectly, with some drops in video quality but it was playable. Another interesting thing with using Steam in home streaming is that there was no mouse cursor, but I was able to fix that by enabling an accessibility feature that made it show up. I wish they would enable desktop streaming over Steam in home streaming which I'd prefer over RDP as it's UDP based and works moreso like VMWare Horizon which works amazing.

Next week I will be trying out (or trying to try out) OVH's DeskAAS with GPU which uses VMWare Horizon and NVIDIA GPU passthrough, and I will see how that goes.

I also did NOT try RemoteFX which supposedly allows you to access the GPU while in a RDP session eliminating what I had to do above where I had to start the application under VNC/KVM and then RDP back into the server.

RDP supports UDP too, you can make some config changes and it will work

• pbgben said: RDP supports UDP too, you can make some config changes and it will work

Thanks for letting me know, I'll try that out