Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting TCP Syn Flood
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting TCP Syn Flood

From last few hours, one of my OVH Cloud VPS is under TCP syn flood attack. Mitigation is under permanent mode still OVH Anti-DDoS is not able to mitigate. Is OVH supposed to mitigate TCP syn flood automatically or do I need to configure the OVH firewall to stop syn flood?

Comments

• Do you see anything leak?

• During the attack, I am not able to reach the server. So I think, the attack is leaking.

• @Luke007 said:
    During the attack, I am not able to reach the server. So I think, the attack is leaking.

Which location are you in?

• Luke007Luke007 Member
    edited February 2017

doghouch said: Which location are you in

Server is in Gravelines.

• @Luke007 said:

doghouch said: Which location are you in

Server is in Gravelines. I am in India

Didn't mean to get where you are physically, but whatever :P

Being that it's their main DC, it's probably some dirty attack leaking.

Have you tried calling them/opening a ticket? They're happy to help you mitigate, because if the attack leaks, it'll affect the entire node :)

• doghouch said: Have you tried calling them/opening a ticket? They're happy to help you mitigate, because if the attack leaks, it'll affect the entire node :)

For SYN? Well, it maxes out CPU on the vps, not much harm done otherwise.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • OVH don't claim to have L7 protection last time i remember using them right ? or is that me being stupid

• Is it due to basic vs game ddos protection difference ?

• I think its a qbot botnet that uses residentional ip's from what i gathered from this. It are a shitload of bots (around 4k most of the times) with most of em being under 512kbps up, based on routers. max 512-10240packets per router. That means the packets are too small for OVH's firewall to read most likely on the basic VAC series.

• tr1cky said: Have you tried calling them/opening a ticket?

OVH support said that mitigation is automated and they don't intervene.

• I suspect your own traffic is being mitigated rather the attack leaking.

• kcaj said: I suspect your own traffic is being mitigated rather the attack leaking

Other IPs in the VPS also went down during the attack. So I am sure attack was leaking

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Maybe Layer7 Flood - this will generate also a large number of TCP SYN/ACK/PUSH depending on the type of attack.

Do you see a unusual high rate of http / https requests?