Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MS Mail Problem - FlipHost Replacement IP has "Reputation" problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MS Mail Problem - FlipHost Replacement IP has "Reputation" problem

I replaced the VPS that I had for almost 4 years with FlipHost with a dedi. I've fixed most of the problems related to using a new IP. I got the IP off the Barracuda list, and it is not on any other MX blacklists that I can see. However, I can't send email to MS accounts:

Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mx2.hotmail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 SC-001 (BAY004-MC4F51) Unfortunately, messages from
   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider
   since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your
   provider to [ http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. ]

When I look up the code 550 SC-001 on the list. Her is what is says:

Mail rejected by Outlook.com for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your Email/Internet Service Provider for help.

Just to be clear, I send zero spam. All email I send is either solicited or in response to emails received.

Any idea how to fix this? I assume I am an email/network admin, but it isn't clear what to do.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

The owner of the IP space has to contact them / your provider.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Awmusic12635 said:

And then pray to the gods of Microsoft for mercy.

• My dedi is through a reseller. I found the owner of the IP through this tool:

https://www.ultratools.com/tools/ipWhoisLookupResult

Should I go up the chain of command or start at the top?

@Awmusic12635 said:

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

MTUser2012 said: Should I go up the chain of command or start at the top?

Should probably contact your provider

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Ha, Ha. I guess I'd better start praying hard then.

@jarland said:

@Awmusic12635 said:

And then pray to the gods of Microsoft for mercy.

• I think they can submit and authorize you to receive complaints if I remember thats how Hotmail/Outlook/MS does it.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2017

Been there, done that.

fill out their hidden request form: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&ccsid=635683049821076659

declaring who you are and that you are not involved into any mass mailing might get your IP off the internal microsoft list if you give it some time ...

Ps: registering your IP with em for getting notifications as suggested by @doughmanes also might help to increase the reputation. don't have that link at hand though...

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Microsoft SNDS/JMRP (Junk mail reporting program): https://postmaster.live.com/snds/JMRP.aspx

Good tool to know which IPs are blocked from sending to MS network; you'll need proper rDNS to receive confirmation mail.

Pavin.

Thanked by 2MTUser2012 Falzo
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Have you even contacted your provider before you started indirectly complaining about them on a public forum ??

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Had this problem before. I worked for a gov. organisation and we got blacklisted by Microsoft, they're such a pain to get them to budge. The best thing we were advised were to contact their 'technical support' which didn't get us far but as Falzo mentioned you're better off using that form. I like how they hid it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

HyperSpeed said: you're better off

There's one way we'd all be better off. We've gotta do it one day. We've gotta get people on board with ditching MS as an e-mail host. I'm mostly convinced that they do it to discourage competition for their hosted email products.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

HyperSpeed said: you're better off

There's one way we'd all be better off. We've gotta do it one day. We've gotta get people on board with ditching MS as an e-mail host. I'm mostly convinced that they do it to discourage competition for their hosted email products.

Sadly their last ditch attempt by combining Office with hosted email seems to be working.

Pavin.

• Last provider I worked for migrated from hosted email to MS because of the integration. You could however make a pitch to business customers who want somebody they can contact ASAP with a question/issue. I've got such a customer like that on a mailcow install.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • Where am I complaining about anybody? I don't name the provider because that would be grossly unfair. All I am seeking is information on how to fix this. I've fixed lots of problems like this on my own before when I've been given a dirty IP. I usually just contact the blacklist and explain why I shouldn't be on it. So far, I've gotten off of everyone. I couldn't do that with MS as there didn't seem to be a way to do that. Posting here, requesting help, not complaining, got me what I needed. What is wrong with that?

@Clouvider said:
    Have you even contacted your provider before you started indirectly complaining about them on a public forum ??

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MTUser2012 said: I don't name the provider because that would be grossly unfair.

without wanting to chime into the discussion whether you're complaining or not - your thread title brightly suggests a provider name ;-)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2017

mailcheap said: Sadly their last ditch attempt by combining Office with hosted email seems to be working.

Even if the combined product is worse than previous versions... I have a personal MS mail (since 2006) that I still be using (I have gmail, too, yahoo and a couple of personal domain mails). I also use MS Office because the organization I am working too, uses the platform as corporate email solution with own domain.
    Both platforms, sucks. MS Office (microsoftonline.com) is buggy, extremely heavy, loaded with tons of crap. Free Office Mail (hotmail, live etc.) is following the same route.
    But it is difficult to change an email, especially if you have an account for several years and there are a lot of people knowing the address.
    As of companies, they rely on MS local offices for combined solutions and licensing (Microsoft Online, Windows, Office, MS SQL etc.) and chose to host their email to this platform.

So, I guess MS knows all that and follow shady tactics with this in mind:

jarland said: 'm mostly convinced that they do it to discourage competition for their hosted email products.

All big companies are doing the same. Doesn't Google force android users to open a gmail account even if they have not one, to use their mobile phones?

• @jvnadr said:
    All big companies are doing the same. Doesn't Google force android users to open a gmail account even if they have not one, to use their mobile phones?

Actually, no. You click through the first three bits that want you to sign in and/or authenticate yourself, the "make an account to keep your shit backed up", and finally "Enter your name", and you're fully set to use your smartphone with virtually no useful apps- without a Google account.

It's been pretty much the same game with Android since 4.x.

• There are ways to use it without google account, but android is designed to push you to create one otherwise you cannot use, e.g., google play , you won't receive automated updates for your OS and so on...

• My only complaint about FlipHost, the provider I name, is they went out of business. They were purchased and became part of Query Foundry. I have a screenshot of one of the VPSs I had that had over 700 days of uptime. When they went under with about 7 days notice, I had to move quickly. I had one idling dedi I used and bought another one. If they hadn't gone out of business, I wouldn't be trying to fix this IP issue, but at least I've learned something important about MS.

But, I thank you for your help in answering my question about how to fix my problem earlier in the thread.

@Falzo said:

MTUser2012 said: I don't name the provider because that would be grossly unfair.

without wanting to chime into the discussion whether you're complaining or not - your thread title brightly suggests a provider name ;-)

• jarland said: There's one way we'd all be better off. We've gotta do it one day. We've gotta get people on board with ditching MS as an e-mail host. I'm mostly convinced that they do it to discourage competition for their hosted email products.

I wish, I had the support ticket for it. I was quite happy to leave it on hold indefinitely but I kept getting prompted that candidates couldn't get emails about jobs etc because of it. Shame really, I advised paper copies were more effective and reliable than trying to email the Microsoft platform hah.

Shame most of their products now centre around the whole integrated Office system which is a pain.