Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommend DNS provider with API
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

recommend DNS provider with API

Can anyone recommend a DNS provider with a decent API, that makes it easy to modify DNS records from program control? E.g. for automatic DNS-based authentication for LetsEncrypt instead of using the web server for the purpose.

I'm fine with the service not being free, but it should be able to handle a reasonable number of domains and not cost too much. Total request volume will be quite low since it's for low-traffic personal servers.

Thanks for suggestions.

Comments

• williewillie Member

I'm looking for this again, so necro'ing.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Rage4

• lionlion Member

Cloudflare?

• williewillie Member

Thanks, rage4 sounds promising, I had the idea that their entry level plan was discontinued or something. 2 euro/m is affordable. I'll check out cloudflare but didn't think they had anything like that. I want to set my ansible scripts to automatically make a subdomain when I spin up a new server.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@gbshouse of Rage4 is active here :)

Thanked by 2willie gbshouse
  • ShurshukaShurshuka Member
    edited May 2018

Zilore, NS1

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

willie said: I'll check out cloudflare but didn't think they had anything like that. I want to set my ansible scripts to automatically make a subdomain when I spin up a new server.

cloudflare api works for me with my letsencrypt acmetool.sh addon which uses acme.sh https://community.centminmod.com/threads/official-acmetool-sh-testing-thread-for-centmin-mod-123-09beta01.8290/page-6#post-35135

Thanked by 1willie
  • Take a look at lexicon which works with many providers/registrars. I've used it fine with Cloudflare as well as CloudNS and it works as expected. It also works with Namesilo, Namecheap, GoDaddy and Gandi for what it's worth. You may not even need a DNS provider if you have low volumes or just vanilla requirements and can manage with your registrar. Dehydrated also has hook support for Lexicon and LetsEncrypt certificates.

• williewillie Member

Thanks, Lexicon looks great and I hadn't heard of it before. I'll check further into it. I do use dehydrated but only for certificates. It hadn't occurred to me to handle DNS with it too.

• lemonlemon Member

@lion said:
    Cloudflare?

Cloudflare!

free & nice API

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Yeah, we have full API available. There is official NuGet package for .NET and whole bunch of community packages for other platforms. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions

• CloudNS perhaps?
    They have an API, i know it now works with the letsencrypt plugin in opnsense, not sure about how easy to use for other things.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I use Route53 a ton. Not too pricey IMO, but this is LET after all. I use the AWS CLI to handle dyndns type updates and other automated changes I need to make.