Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japanese VPS Providers Roundup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Japanese VPS Providers Roundup

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited May 2013 in Reviews

I've spent some time exploring Japanese VPS market lately, and decided to start a page to share with you what I [and my anonymous long-nicknamed friend in IRC] have found:

Remind me which ones we may have missed, or PM me any new offers you find, for inclusion into the table/graphs.
Not adding Sakura and Saases at the moment, these seem to have really strict "local-only clients" restrictions.

Previous threads on LET:

P.S.: oh and if you were considering to get one, now is a good time to check out Onamae, their setup fee waive "campaign" on the 2GB plan ends next week. So go buy it and post your review here :D

Comments

• cynixcynix Member
    I thought about getting an Onamae VPS but they seem to require phone confirmation for signups. I know I can probably work around it with Twilio, but I can't be bothered to set this up as I don't need the VPS anyway :p
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @cynix Thanks for the note about Twilio, should check it out and add to my "toolbox" in case a similar need arises.

P.S.: added SaaSes to the table (they have a very cute "no international customers" FAQ), and at first removed, then re-added Onamae, decided to list both of these anyway, just not draw their prices on the graph.
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I can't read japanes language ;)

• WilliamWilliam Member

You should include Linode, even if it is not real japanese they DO have the Tokyo location - Just for completeness.

• cynixcynix Member
    edited May 2013

@William said:
    You should include Linode, even if it is not real japanese they DO have the Tokyo location - Just for completeness.

I'm guessing Linode/VPS.net etc were left out not because they're not owned by a Japanese company, but because their prices aren't in the LEB range.

edited May 2013

Indeed, I am not chasing for full completeness, or I would also include things like $25 VPSes from Tsukaeru.

In a couple of LET's hack-related Groundhog Days we've had a short discussion about this, I explained that for me if I'm looking at a provider out of the LEB range (and seems to be no way around that in JP, there are barely any offers below the actual $7), they at least have to offer a good deal. 2GB KVM with 100GB disk and unmetered b/w in Japan for $9 is certainly one, but Linode at $20 for 1GB Xen with 24GB disk is not, they are uninteresting and not even remotely competitive with others; VPS.net with some laughable specs (1.2 GHz CPU 376 MB RAM 10 GB Disk = $20) even more so.

I found a blog which is doing mini-reviews of Japanese VPS providers in Chinese: http://www.pandabgp.com/

• seilentseilent Member
    edited October 2016

Trying tsukaeru's 2GB plan, since i can get it with 1,500円 instead 2,000円 w/o initial cost

it's based on OpenVZ seems

looks like TUN/TAP is disabled by default as i can't run softether in local bridge, you need to pay 5,000円 to have in enabled, wth

at least i still can use SecureNAT mode for now

some benchmark