Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for Failover DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions for Failover DNS

Hello All,
So I recently setup IPv6 for my sites, late to the party I know, For several years I have used DNSMadeEasy for failover A records. Since I now have AAAA records as well I need an option that will failover those also.

Unfortunately DNSMadeEasy doesn't offer that. They have started a new project, Constellix, that is in beta that provides that service but I am not convinced it is ready for primetime yet. I have had issues with the failover ips getting 'stuck' in the failed state with them. I have contacted their support for about a week and they don't seemed to be to communicative or interested in fixing it. The issue is that the failover records work fine but when the original server returns to an operational state (as witnessed by their monitoring) the records which are in failover don't revert back as they should.

I have been patiently waiting over a week now for support from them and I am ready to explore other options. I am currently paying $40/year to DnsMadeEasy for 10 domains, 2 failover records, and 5 million queries per month.

My setup is three servers (main+2backup) so I need to have a failover option for 3 ips for both A and AAAA records.

I thought I had a solution with NSOne but to get an additional failover record it would have cost $100/month. I am not hosting missile controls! I don't mind paying <$100 annually but I don't want anything more expensive than that.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

Comments

• Just buy a shitload of VPS and saturate your free DNSglue records.

• @WSS said:
    Just buy a shitload of VPS and saturate your free DNSglue records.

Thanks but I don't want to manage it :-)

• Cloudflare? You could use uptimerobot to monitor your servers (free or $5/month) and use a webhook to update your DNS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If you have ipv4, why do you need ipv6?

Yes, I know, it's the future, etc. but are there really visitors out there who only communicate on ipv6? I've never heard of one.

Sounds like just using ipv4 for another year until the services you want are out of beta might be a choice - ?

Just a suggestion.

• rooterrooter Member
    edited February 2017

@raindog308 said:
    If you have ipv4, why do you need ipv6?

Yes, I know, it's the future, etc. but are there really visitors out there who only communicate on ipv6? I've never heard of one.

Sounds like just using ipv4 for another year until the services you want are out of beta might be a choice - ?

Just a suggestion.

Sounds like that is my best option at the moment. As a response to your 'Why do I need it' question the answer now is I don't.

At the time I started enabling IPv6 my cell carrier (T-Mobile) had release a carrier update that did not have IPv4 fallback. I adjusted as to be able to use my services. Since then they have reinstated the IPv4 fallback on a more recent carrier update.

Thank for the suggestions everyone!

• I find my dual stack stuff often chooses ipv6 by default to communicate with other dual stack stuff. That means if the other end or some intermediate part messes up v6 somehow, connections don't work and there's head scratching to figure out what's wrong.