Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with your Dedi? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you do with your Dedi?

2»

Comments

• @iwaswrongonce said:
    Amateurs

One of our memsql machines

it's pretty busy there, getting good use out of it

• Reboot. That pile of crap KS-1 I got ahold of has hardware issues and hangs every few days- but like an idiot, I prepaid for a few months. So it's a backup nameserver (not like I can trust it to do much else).

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited February 2017

@willie said:
    Thanks rndt. Looks like it only used about 12 physical cores on average, out of 16 available. Still pretty good! I remember some parts of the build are essentially serial, so maybe that's a bottleneck.

GCC4 was smaller than GCC6 (I don't know by how much) and it took around 6 hours to build on my Pentium 3 laptop of the era :P. These current dedis are fantastic by comparison, even the less expensive ones. I might ask you to try an xz test later, if you're up for it.

GCC6 may have some performance regressions compared to GCC 4.4/4.8 and GCC 5.3/5.4. Try with GCC 5.3/5.4 too

edit: re-read your post thought you meant compile something with GCC6 heh

• WSS said: pile of crap KS-1 I got ahold of has hardware issues

Won't OVH fix it?

• @willie said:

WSS said: pile of crap KS-1 I got ahold of has hardware issues

Won't OVH fix it?

It comes back for a few days after a reboot, so they don't seem to give a shit. It's due in May, so I'll probably just let it go, since it's unreliable and #5/mo is quite a bit to me nowadays.

• That's hilarious if they have support people constantly walking over to the rack to reset it

• I wonder how many interventions the thing has

• eat dust

• @ethancedrik said:
    That's hilarious if they have support people constantly walking over to the rack to reset it

It's about once every 3 days. 12, so far.

• "Hey look at how many cores I have and how much I use them!!!" - This thread

• Plex server mostly for transcoding.

• Shtuff..