Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
vpsBoard calls it quits
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

vpsBoard calls it quits

http://vpsboard.com/topic/9666-the-current-state-of-vpsboard/

I'm genuinely very sad about this, though I haven't visited vpsB in quite a while.

@MannDude put a ton of time and effort into that site:

• the custom logo is quite awesome

• he paid for a lot of tutorials, etc. that were written there

• and of course the IPBoard licenses, add-ons, and modules aren't cheap

• not to mention hosting fees, ddos protection, and the neverending work to maintain an active forum

Really a pity. I love LET (obviously) but I think some competition is a healthy thing.

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

Comments

• The ColoCrossing buys vpsBoard jokes in 3... 2...

Thanked by 3netomx GCat doghouch

How to clean up a questionable reputation: throw the kids some BF/CM offers.

• vpsBoard was dead way before official failure recognition. Yesterday news... Thought, sad a bit.

Thanked by 3netomx jh rm_
  • Thanks, I appreciate it.

The archive state may be temporary, but I need to consolidate like over a half-dozen barely used servers and do some other stuff first. It'll be hard to get it back to it's original glory, in it's prime we were getting hundreds of new posts a day and the growth was phenomenal. I blame the decrease in activity partially on software upgrades, IPB has at times made me so extremely miserable and upset as well as visitors. Some of the decrease would also likely be due to management (myself) and failure to implement some of the big picture ideas as clearly as I visioned them, and as well just the natural course some sites take when based on some outdated platforms when competing against more modern discussion platforms like Reddit. (Which I'll admit makes up 95% of all my 'forum' use nowadays. I don't really use any forum for any particular interest anymore)

In time I'll create a guide to the most popular content, tutorials and news to serve as an easy reference to those who wish to find them.

So, right now, in my limited time and interest, my goal is to just simplify the setup while archiving existing content. This may mean switching platforms so I don't have to renew IPB licenses and certain licenses for plugins as well as consolidate servers to one. Keep in mind I spread a ton of things out, mainly to support the small businesses that supported vpsBoard. So there are more servers than I need that I keep renewing as well.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words @raindog308

-MannDude

• All the best @MannDude

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2017

What will happen to drmike now?
    Have you found some caring shelter for him before closing? Or do we have to take him back?

Thanked by 1netomx

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• doughmanes said: The ColoCrossing buys vpsBoard jokes in 3... 2...

I'll never sell the site. Too much personal information in user logs for me to ever feel comfortable selling. Some people would just use it to witch hunt.

This strong stance also didn't help the site when I had people with more time on their hands than me offer to take it over, but I trust almost no one when it comes to that.

Thanked by 1HarrySoloman

-MannDude

• Where the fuck do I go when banned here?

• Amitz said: What will happen to drmike now?

I'm sad to report that he suffered a casualty in the great meme war of 2016. Though some say, on a night lit only by the light of a full moon you can still hear the doctor pecking away at his keyboard.

Reality: No idea.

Thanked by 3netomx sin k0nsl

-MannDude

• @MannDude shame about the board. Unfortunately i stopped visiting once the new IP.board theme style was in place - just didn't work for me :(

Good luck with your new ventures :)

* Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • eva2000 said: Unfortunately i stopped visiting once the new IP.board {insert random IPB upgrade feature here}

FTFY. That's the story for a lot of people.

-MannDude

• yeah it wasn't much the theme but IP.board's new get new post layout/latest activity. FYI, I usually bookmark and visit forums via their get new post/unread post links.

* Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2017

It was the same that killed the fun for me. Quite a pity...

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• lol rekt

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

IPB's a pain, always been. I used it on some large forums in the past and it was always a huge headache.

A 'proper' forum is hard for hosting communities these days. WHT, while fuck loads of foot traffic, doesn't get a lot of new content day in/day out since people can just search and probably find what they need.

Vanilla on the other hand is such a shit show that it promotes topic spamming. The search is slow and janky as hell which adds to the "fuck it, i'll do a new thread" mentality.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • Thanks for all the hard work @MannDude

Yesterday's Jam

• IPB's a pain, always been. I used it on some large forums in the past and it was always a huge headache.

A 'proper' forum is hard for hosting communities these days. WHT, while fuck loads of foot traffic, doesn't get a lot of new content day in/day out since people can just search and probably find what they need.

Vanilla on the other hand is such a shit show that it promotes topic spamming. The search is slow and janky as hell which adds to the "fuck it, i'll do a new thread" mentality.

Francisco

XenForo

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

@tr1cky said:

IPB's a pain, always been. I used it on some large forums in the past and it was always a huge headache.

Francisco

XenForo

Maybe, I've not had a chance to use xenforo much to comment :)

Francisco

BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • jhjh Member

Not surprising IMHO - last time I looked most of the content was just duplicated from here.

Thanked by 2rm_ PremiumN
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2017

Old fashioned forum is too sophisticated for kids nowadays.

Thanked by 1yomero

I have not created a single thread. Verify it if you dare.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2017

@Francisco said:

I just do site:lowendtalk.com stuff goes here on google instead of using the search here, it blows.

Anyway, RIP vpsboard.

Will shill for Pop-Tarts(must be strawberry flavour).

• NekkiNekki Moderator
    edited February 2017

Let's not kid ourselves, it died because it was a fucking boring place to spend your time.

Was it full of immature loons? No

Was it full of pointless drama? No

Was it full of incoherent ramblings? Well yes, but that was mainly Dr. Mike, everyone else was generally very sensible.

vpsBoard was quite possibly LET's better in every possible area except one, and it's the one that really matters - entertainment.

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Harsh but true. I am here on LET because of idiots.

Thanked by 2yomero NanoG6

I have not created a single thread. Verify it if you dare.

• @deank said:
    Harsh but true. I am here on LET because of idiots.

I am here on LET because you guys need idiots.

Thanked by 1yomero

I like my uptime down low and my servers all hacked. Can see me droppin' twenty-fours with a router in the rack.
    Ya like ya Switch-Ports hot and ya servers all hacked. If ya pings real high and ya networks pitch black.

• I brought snacks!

• CenTexHostingCenTexHosting Member, Provider

@MannDude

Best of luck in what you are doing now.

• deank said: Harsh but true. I am here on LET because of idiots.

I am here because of you, so we have the same reason to be here! Cool! :-)

Thanked by 2jvnadr Ympker

For those who care:

• niknik Member, Provider

@ricardo said:
    What's the selling price? :)

He wrote already that he won't sell it.

@MannDude said:

doughmanes said: The ColoCrossing buys vpsBoard jokes in 3... 2...

I'll never sell the site. Too much personal information in user logs for me to ever feel comfortable selling. Some people would just use it to witch hunt.

Nodion – High Performance Cloud Hosting in Frankfurt, DE

• One goes down, another appears. Happen all the time

• vps.fail is available: United States $ 3.99 for the first year.

• nik said: He wrote already that he won't sell it.

Don't get the logic to be honest, but fair enough.

• @jiggawattz said:
    vps.fail is available: United States $ 3.99 for the first year.

Holding out for vpsboard.party... only $7 for a decade!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • ricardo said: Don't get the logic to be honest, but fair enough.

@MannDude could sell the domain (and/or the IPB software licenses) without necessarily selling the database/content.

• Holy crap, I just remembered that I once sold sugarvps.com to MannDude on WHT. That was a while ago.

• MannDude said: based on some outdated platforms when competing against more modern discussion platforms like Reddit. (Which I'll admit makes up 95% of all my 'forum' use nowadays. I don't really use any forum for any particular interest anymore)

The one thing Reddit lacks in my experience, ironically, is strong community. At least, for big subs - just so many people that it's like being in a stadium vs. a coffeehouse. It's feels a lot more like StackExchange than a traditional forum to me.

Even for smaller subs devoted to a specific game or something, there's just so many people that you'd never get the in-jokes, traditions, etc. that you get in smaller forums.

I suppose a small sub like MakingLoveInDiapersEastTampaVeganCookout might be different...reddit is really a galaxy unto its own.

They both have their place and maybe I'm just not on the right subreddits, but for me Reddit is a great set of search results, while forums are places to talk.

Awww.

• @raindog308 said:

I suppose a small sub like MakingLoveInDiapersEastTampaVeganCookout might be different...reddit is really a galaxy unto its own.

Go on..

• This is an example of using commercial framework vs custom-made software. This is a good lesson to learn.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Thanks for running VPSBoard all this time, Manndude. It was great while it lasted and I agree that the IPB upgrade made it almost unusable.

I like Vanilla in most ways and I'd hope the search function is fixable.

#lexit spread the word.

• @ZiriusPH said:
    This is an example of using commercial framework vs custom-made software. This is a good lesson to learn.

LOL what? No relevance.

For example, you're posting this on Vanilla, not some custom software...

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH

• The GreenValueHost drama back in the day always did keep this place on its toes.

Is inflation really at 0.5%? What a conundrum...

eddynetweb.net | DigitalOcean referral.

• Sorry to hear @MannDude. I hope that you enjoy/have fun with your new job, and I wish you all the best with your future endeavours!

I used to lurk there, and there were some good memories.

Thanks for all your time :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Provider

Its a shame to see VPSB go. I was just the other day trying to login and see what was up (I too dropped off after the forum software change).

I'd like to see LET have some competition. Not necessarily because there i anything wrong here, but competition breeds improvements.

Best of luck @MannDude in the future, whatever happens.

X4B - DDoS Protection: Affordable Anycast DDoS mitigation with PoPs in the Europe, Asia, North and South America.
    Latest Offer: Brazil Launch 2020 Offer
  • It was a nice forum indeed.

Hosts I Recommend >> [ XiNiX | CloudCone | HostUs | BuyVM | Backovia ( 25 TB VPS ) ]

• @raindog308 said:

@ZiriusPH said:
    This is an example of using commercial framework vs custom-made software. This is a good lesson to learn.

LOL what? No relevance.

For example, you're posting this on Vanilla, not some custom software...

I was high when i posted that msg.

• @MannDude How do you intend to archive it? I suggest converting it into a static site using httrack. That way you won't have to maintain any CMS.

• StradaleStradale Member
    edited February 2017

It was always dead so

• ZiriusPH said: I was high when i posted that msg.

For those who care:

• @Nekki said:
    Let's not kid ourselves, it died because it was a fucking boring place to spend your time.

Was it full of immature loons? No

Was it full of pointless drama? No

Was it full of incoherent ramblings? Well yes, but that was mainly Dr. Mike, everyone else was generally very sensible.

vpsBoard was quite possibly LET's better in every possible area except one, and it's the one that really matters - entertainment.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

^let the drama commence

Thanked by 1MannDude

thanked by nekki sister !

• This site has few visitors.

Offshore server provider: www.snipped.com

• hostslb said: This site has few visitors.

Nice necro, get banned.

Thanks!!

@doghouch

This discussion has been closed.