Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server request
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server request

Hi all,

Please excuse the thread. Instead of me keep asking for random requests in the cest pit I think it'd be more worthwhile to open an actual thread detailing my requests.
I'm looking for a fairly powerful server for media transcoding, namely a Plex server.

A good candidate for me would be the SYS i7-SSD-1 however one of the stock checkers shows me this has never been in stock in EU and was last in stock in CA around a month or so ago.

As for the requirements,

• Powerful CPU, namely one with 9k+ passmark. A new(er) Intel would be a massive bonus as Plex has hardware transcoding in beta with Intel's CPU's - quoted straight from the forum thread "Hardware transcoding requires a 64-bit Intel CPU on Linux, ideally from a recent generation (Haswell or later)"
  • Atleast 200GB of disk space, SSD(s) preferred but not required
  • A good amount of bandwidth
  • 1Gbps connection with decent peering
  • Preferably in EU
  • The server will NOT be used for torrenting

My budget is fairly low for this spec of server, however I don't mind if not all the requirements are met, the only complete requirement would be the CPU.

Thanks all!

Comments

• https://www.worldstream.nl/custom_dedicated_servers

Get 4.20 per month off when paying yearly

Most of these start at 8gb ram, which should be plenty. More ram is charged at quite a steep rate though.

100mbit might be a no-go, although the gigabit package at 10/month is quite affordable, but at that level better deals start coming in.

• I wonder if Plex actually did some kind of HD Graphics implementation or they're using the ffmpeg opencl stuff. If the latter it might be interesting to try a GPU server. I haven't paid attention to this lately since I don't transcode that much, but I'll see if I can check into it.

You might do better with one of the Hetzner i7-6700 servers that have newer graphics hardware than the 47xx.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Whats with all thw people buying plex servers all of a sudden. Yall should save some cash and wait for lowend.tv

Thanked by 2Junkless vimalware
  • @pbgben said:
    Whats with all thw people buying plex servers all of a sudden. Yall should save some cash and wait for lowend.tv

Already have a fairly large one hosted on one of my hypervisors with a bunch of VM's, just tired of it taking up all of the CPU and want to move it to its own special home.

Will take a look, thanks!

@willie said:
    I wonder if Plex actually did some kind of HD Graphics implementation or they're using the ffmpeg opencl stuff. If the latter it might be interesting to try a GPU server. I haven't paid attention to this lately since I don't transcode that much, but I'll see if I can check into it.

You might do better with one of the Hetzner i7-6700 servers that have newer graphics hardware than the 47xx.

Here's their post explaining the new transcoder beta -

• Reading the above, it doesn't touch your GPU on Linux (and doubtfully ever will, due to how hardware access works on Linux, unless they throw it through SDL or something)..

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

That's interesting. It's still not clear whether it's ffmpeg based though. I'll ask the ffmpeg guys on irc if they know anything.

I see a good E3-1270v5 price there and that's post-Haswell, but it doesn't have HD Graphics and it's not clear to me whether the fast converter wants that.

• Yeah.

• Yeah, it's abusing the OpenGL libraries that talk to the GPU. I'd be surprised if it was any faster than a HD 3000.

• The ffmpeg situation is described here:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro

CUDA seems like it would kick everything else's butt. Anyone got a Linux machine with an NVidia card they want to try it on? Might be easier to test on a home PC than a server, since GPU servers are expensive, but I know some of you gamers use them at home. If it's a big win, the next thing to do would be deploy a server somewhere.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited February 2017

willie said: Anyone got a Linux machine with an NVidia card they want to try it on?

Ikoula has servers with GeForce 710 for 15 euros/mo promo price.

Thanked by 1willie
  • exception0x876 said: Ikoula has servers with GeForce 710 for 15 euros/mo promo price.

Very interesting! There's a 10 euro setup fee and the 15 euro/mo is just for the first 3 months (30/mo after that), but there's a range of add-ons including reasonably priced HDD and SSD upgrades. @Yoda I'd consider giving that a try. @Ikoula any chance of temporary access to run a benchmark?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@willie We can discuss about it, @Yoda pm me.