Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Offers GPU Virtual Desktop with Windows 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Offers GPU Virtual Desktop with Windows 10

OVH as of today is now offering their cloud desktop service with GPU acceleration and the Windows 10 interface as of today.

Hello,

>

Now, Cloud desktop offers are delivered with the latest Windows version that includes the Windows 10 Interface.

>

Cloud Desktop for graphic designer is now orderable answering yours specific needs in terms of design software.

https://www.ovh.com/fr/cloud/cloud-desktop/offres/

>

Feel free to share yours feedbacks and use cases on Cloud Desktop at [email protected].

Have a good week-end.

Benoît

Prices appear to be as follows:
Cloud Desktop Discovery
1vCPU
2 GB memory
10 GB storage
Windows license
(Windows 10 interface)
No GPU acceleration

Cloud Desktop Pro
2vCPU
4 GB memory
50 GB of storage
Windows license
(Windows 10 interface)
No GPU Acceleration
Office 365 Pro Plus option

Cloud Desktop Expert
4vCPU
16 GB of memory
100 GB storage capacity
Windows license
(Windows 10 interface)
No GPU Acceleration
Microsoft Office for an additional price

Cloud Desktop GPU
4vCPU
8 GB memory
100 GB storage capacity
Windows license
(Windows 10 interface)
GPU (GPU type unknown, I was told it was some kind of NVIDIA, it better be for almost $100 USD)

USD Order link: https://us.ovh.com/us/order/express/#/new/express/resume?products=~(~(planCode~'clouddesktop4~productId~'deskaas))

Total inc. VAT: $78.39

So that is what we have so far, I'm really hoping they give the lower end models GPU acceleration as well, as paying $78.39 isn't really worth it imo at this point, I can just get a i7-4790k with way better specs, intel hd graphics for $50 USD and use that over RDP or Steam in home streaming.

Comments

• The Cloud desktop GPU plan might only be attractive for graphic designers. Most other tasks can be handled by iGPUs in Core i processors with much lower budgets. And LiquidSky (beta) has gaming desktops at a lower price point.

• For that much money, you could buy a nice machine every year. IDGI.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2017

@WSS said:
    For that much money, you could buy a nice machine every year. IDGI.

Or just save up for a rendering server/pretty good workstation

• Yup.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

I bought one, apparently it uses an AMD GPU with VMWare Horizon

If you need support and are using OVH.ie email the deskaas mailing list as ovh.ie support hasn't replied to any support requests I put in regarding the service, but in the mailing list Gwendoline who is apart of the DeskAAS team will help you out.

Also I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who lives near the Pacific as it is located in France and latency is noticeable at times.

Also the OS is Server 2016, not Windows 10 Pro, etc but it still works the same fundamentally.

• @ethancedrik said:
    I bought one, apparently it uses an AMD GPU with VMWare Horizon

If you need support and are using OVH.ie email the deskaas mailing list as ovh.ie support hasn't replied to any support requests I put in regarding the service, but in the mailing list Gwendoline who is apart of the DeskAAS team will help you out.

Also I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who lives near the Pacific as it is located in France and latency is noticeable at times.

Can you please test sha1/256 scallion hash rate?

• DXD said: Can you please test sha1/256 scallion hash rate?

Sure, would you prefer I run the test using something like this? https://github.com/lachesis/scallion

• @WSS said:

I'm not sure you understand what the typical use case for these is...

• @iwaswrongonce said:

@WSS said:

Well, I was wrong- once..

• @WSS said:

@iwaswrongonce said:

@WSS said:

Well, I was wrong- once..

You could probably port forward RDP if you wanted to on a home PC and accomplish something similar

Thanked by 1WSS
  • no way is that worth it

• I WAITED FOR SYDNEY VPS NOT THIS WANK

• @Yura said:
    I WAITED FOR SYDNEY VPS NOT THIS WANK

don't worry there's a separate team still working on the Sydney servers, ETA is still unknown but I hope soon

• Hetzner sells you an i7/64GB and a 1080 for ~95EUR:

https://www.hetzner.de/de/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex51ssd-gpu

This offer makes... not too much sense.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ethancedrik said: Also the OS is Server 2016, not Windows 10 Pro, etc but it still works the same fundamentally.

Obviously, windows 10 cannot be run in datacenters iirc. However, if you say we give you 2016 server, the regular joe will say, but I need windows 10...

William said: This offer makes... not too much sense.

OVH run out of ideas of expanding, apparently. They see themselves as trailblazers, there is skysomething which offers gaming desktops, they thought they can do it cheaper and at a larger scale, who knows. Anyway, I tried rdp and many other ways to connect at real gaming rigs, sucks big time.
    As for the no gpu plans, I wonder why they offer no GPU ones. Win server DC nd VMWare licenses cannot be absorbed only with a few VMs per node, but the x2 version supports 32 users per node x8=256 GB RAM, so, no clue, maybe they do not plan to max out the GPU slots, who knows.