Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decent single core performance provider in Western/Central US?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Decent single core performance provider in Western/Central US?

Decent single core performance server for under $6 a month or $50 a year,
planning to host a game server for a couple friends, maybe a TS server as well.
Preferably in the west coast but denver/chicago is OK as well!

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

How much RAM? Bandwidth?

• =1GB of RAM, 100Mbps should be fine for bandwidth I think

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Take a look to our VPS here: https://www.gestiondbi.com/en/openvzvps

We offer mulitple locations in US. Check our FAQ page for looking glass.

You can get 10% off with promocode: ANY10

Regards, David

• @dediserve Have a server running csgo for a few friends, no issues. Their CPU aren't restricted, so you can use the full core without worrying about getting suspended. I don't think they have DDoS protection for their west coast locations, so if that's a concern you might need something else.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • We can do this in LA.

OpenVZ or KVM with free DDoS protection.

PM me if you want to discuss or check our latest offer.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

TheOnlyDK said: Their CPU aren't restricted, so you can use the full core without worrying about getting suspended.

I think this isn't conducive to good single core performance unless it's a true dedicated core, which you won't easily find for $6/mo. If it's non-dedicated then you can have multiple cpu hogs active simultaneously, giving each user a fraction of the available performance. Like a fair-share 1GB plan on a 4-core, 32GB E3 basically guarantees you 1/8th of a core to yourself but anything above that is a matter of luck.

Good single core performance to me means being able to get close to 100% of a core when it's needed for computational bursts. That means the machine's cpu has to be quite underutilized most of the time. Something like "the 95th percentile of your VPS's cpu usage must be under 10%" would seem to work pretty well, since it means you can use 100% for about 1 hour a day. That's what I'd want rather than unlimited use of a shared core. It seems like the de facto standard VPS offer unless unlimited or dedicated is promised, and in practice I've usually gotten good burst cpu performance on most non-minimal vps that I've used. For sustained high cpu usage, use a dedicated server or core (note many "dedicated cores" are actually dedicated threads, i.e. 50% of a core).

That said, even some vps offering fair-share threads or cores have underutilized cpu so you can get somewhat more cycles than are guaranteed.

• @willie said:

TheOnlyDK said: Their CPU aren't restricted, so you can use the full core without worrying about getting suspended.

I think this isn't conducive to good single core performance unless it's a true dedicated core, which you won't easily find for $6/mo. If it's non-dedicated then you can have multiple cpu hogs active simultaneously, giving each user a fraction of the available performance. Like a fair-share 1GB plan on a 4-core, 32GB E3 basically guarantees you 1/8th of a core to yourself but anything above that is a matter of luck.

Good single core performance to me means being able to get close to 100% of a core when it's needed for computational bursts. That means the machine's cpu has to be quite underutilized most of the time. Something like "the 95th percentile of your VPS's cpu usage must be under 10%" would seem to work pretty well, since it means you can use 100% for about 1 hour a day. That's what I'd want rather than unlimited use of a shared core. It seems like the de facto standard VPS offer unless unlimited or dedicated is promised, and in practice I've usually gotten good burst cpu performance on most non-minimal vps that I've used. For sustained high cpu usage, use a dedicated server or core (note many "dedicated cores" are actually dedicated threads, i.e. 50% of a core).

That said, even some vps offering fair-share threads or cores have underutilized cpu so you can get somewhat more cycles than are guaranteed.

I'm not sure if the core is fully dedicated, but the server is snappy and my CSGO server doesn't lag. To be fair, it is a server for training not for competitive, so the server could require minimal resources.

• TheOnlyDK said:

I'm not sure if the core is fully dedicated, but the server is snappy and my CSGO server doesn't lag.

Sounds good. I don't think cpu overuse is too big a problem on most VPS plans in practice, except very small cheap plans. I'm interested in this issue but don't have a real clear sense of what high-cpu vps's are like if you use them a lot. So far I've done all my big compute stuff on dedis.

• @willie said:

TheOnlyDK said:

I'm not sure if the core is fully dedicated, but the server is snappy and my CSGO server doesn't lag.

Sounds good. I don't think cpu overuse is too big a problem on most VPS plans in practice, except very small cheap plans. I'm interested in this issue but don't have a real clear sense of what high-cpu vps's are like if you use them a lot. So far I've done all my big compute stuff on dedis.

Our VMs run in KVM on BL460c G8 Blades, running 48 cores (with HT) per blade (each blade averages about 30 VMs). We manage and move VMs as needed to ensure everyone can have the full cores they buy.

Thanked by 1willie