Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

converting a linux programme to work on openvz
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

converting a linux programme to work on openvz

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited May 2013 in General

There's a programme that is based to t2 linux that I'm interested on running on openvz or xen. I have it on a CD and it is a standard .iso and .img file that installs in a PC.

I'm wondering what it would take to port it to Open VZ or Xen or some other VM environment and how to go about it. The program contains asterisk (linux) with a GUI.

Anyone interested in a project :-)

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Likely you can run it with a KVM provider that allows custom ISOs.

• Yeah, go with KVM.

• will it just run, at the minute I put the CD into the computer and it installs itself similar to trixbox/lubuntu.

Does it need to be converted in anyway or can it just run on KVM?

• ChanChan Member

@asterisk14 said: will it just run, at the minute I put the CD into the computer and it installs itself similar to trixbox/lubuntu.

Does it need to be converted in anyway or can it just run on KVM?

KVM is basically a virtualised PC, you can think of it as a typical PC

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If it needs 2 NICs or other customization, will likely not work, but most are standard, at the very least you can ask the provider for a little KVM customization.
    99% not needed, but who knows...

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2013

would the vps host HAVE to install it, or could i do it myself on KVM? Or is it possible to run it on my pc using open vz and then create a template or does that make no sense?

• @asterisk14 said: would the vps host HAVE to install it, or could i do it myself on KVM?

You most likely can install it yourself but the provider will have to allow you to upload your ISO.

• EvixoEvixo Member

Provider needs to allow custom ISO uploading, then they will assign the ISO to your account and you can mount the ISO. Then, in your VM you can browse / run the files on the disc as you would normally do.

• fantastic. thanks to everyone for you help