Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex server request - UK users
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex server request - UK users

hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Hi all.

I am currently looking for a dedicated box which I can run Windows on, to host a Plex instance for me and a couple of friends. I currently have a box in ColoCrossing Buffalo, but I'd rather watch paint dry than stream from it (a 25 minute show buffered 9 times).

The users will mainly be Virgin customers. I would like around 1TB of space, with CPU for a couple of streams.

Thanks

Harry

Comments

• Hetzner auction box. I've ran a Plex server on one for almost two years. Max concurrent users it's had is 23. Never had any issues with it.

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited February 2017

@hawc if your on Virgin you might want to check the local area isn't congested as otherwise whoever you choose may have issues over those connections. You may also want to look for a host with LibertyGlobal in the network blend (e.g. Us, Clouvider, HostUS for example) to maximise performance.

I am currently looking for a dedicated box

How much space do you need?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

quadhost said: @hawc if your on Virgin you might want to check the local area isn't congested as otherwise whoever you choose may have issues over those connections. You may also want to look for a host with LibertyGlobal in the network blend (e.g. Us, Clouvider, HostUS for example) to maximise performance.

Yea - I was actually just using Clouvider for some testing, and I can max out my line there.

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited February 2017

@hawc said:
    I can max out my line there.

Thats a good sign; all down to this little gem.

• I've used both Online.net and Kimsufi as Plex boxes, streaming all over the UK with no issues, but I personally have a VM connection in London and both have been absolutely fine streaming 1080p encodes.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@hawc said:

quadhost said: @hawc if your on Virgin you might want to check the local area isn't congested as otherwise whoever you choose may have issues over those connections. You may also want to look for a host with LibertyGlobal in the network blend (e.g. Us, Clouvider, HostUS for example) to maximise performance.

Yea - I was actually just using Clouvider for some testing, and I can max out my line there.

That's the aim :-).

@quadhost said:

@hawc said:

Yep. Hooked up @ Harbor Exchange and (for now) backhauled to Virtus LON1 :-)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Just stick with @Clouvider . You can't go wrong there.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@AlexBarakov said:

Thanks Alex! :-)

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • @AlexBarakov said:

I'm sure Clouvider are great and all, but they're not really a solid recommendation for a guy looking for a 1TB Plex box that needs to manage a couple of streams. Online, Kimsufi and Hetzner are all equally suitable choices for significantly less outlay.

• @Nekki said:

@AlexBarakov said:

I'm sure Clouvider are great and all, but they're not really a solid recommendation for a guy looking for a 1TB Plex box that needs to manage a couple of streams. Online, Kimsufi and Hetzner are all equally suitable choices for significantly less outlay.

I agree.

Online.net / OVH are better options for a box for more storage / CPU that Plex needs.

I personally have two boxes, one in OVH (Gravelines) and one in Online.net. I prefer the Online.net as it's much more responsive due to more bandwidth but pings / latency to both are pretty similar.

OVH AVG ping is 22ms
    Online.net ping is 25ms

I'm on VM in London.

• We recently brought online LINX & AMS-IX and peer directly with LG aswel, feel free to check out : http://bandwidth.zxhost.co.uk

• @Clouvider said:

@quadhost said:

@hawc said:

You have your own link or take transit from QuadHost?

@kcaj said:

@Clouvider said:

@quadhost said:

@hawc said:

You have your own link or take transit from QuadHost?

Clouvider is directly connected to Liberty Global at Hex.

Thanked by 1quadhost