Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best web file manager?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the best web file manager?

CdoeCdoe Member
edited February 2017 in General

Hello,
I'm looking for some kind of file manager to manage files on my seedbox. Inbuild player for music/videos is a nice addon. I've googled a little, but most of scripts are outdated.
Something like GDrive, Dropbox, owncloud's manager would be decent, but I don't want to install any cloud software. Could you guys recommend any script with decent security and under active development?

Thanks in advance!

Thanked by 2cdseoo hdpixel

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like Pydio. It's like owncloud but I find it tolerates upgrades better, and I like its interface more personally.

What do you mean by not wanting to install cloud software? Definitely gonna have to install software regardless, but not sure what cloud software is.

Thanked by 1Cdoe
  • MridulMridul Member
    edited February 2017
  • @jarland said:
    What do you mean by not wanting to install cloud software? Definitely gonna have to install software regardless, but not sure what cloud software is.

My bad, I meant I don't want to install owncloud just to get access to it's file manager :)

Thanks for sugestions, I will look into them!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Cdoe said:
    Hello,
    I'm looking for some kind of file manager to manage files on my seedbox. Inbuild player for music/videos is a nice addon. I've googled a little, but most of scripts are outdated.
    Something like GDrive, Dropbox, owncloud's manager would be decent, but I don't want to install any cloud software. Could you guys recommend any script with decent security and under active development?

Thanks in advance!

with seedbox I use h5ai

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2017

I bought this Veno Filenmanager script from Codecanyon. No db required only webserver and php. Just copy files over and ready to go. Login area and
    has user system (pws are encrypted) and pic/video viewer inbuilt.

https://codecanyon.net/item/veno-file-manager-host-and-share-files/6114247

Thanked by 2ThracianDog Falzo
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Tonido. Even works on an RPi; has web-GUI, native clients, supports photo, music, video playback, etc.

Pavin.

• Nice one.. can we directly access the server using our IP instead of using Tonido sub-domain address?

@mailcheap said:
    Tonido. Even works on an RPi; has web-GUI, native clients, supports photo, music, video playback, etc.

Pavin.

I'm using seafile as my "cloud" storage with its encryption enable on each folder.

@Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Nice one.. can we directly access the server using our IP instead of using Tonido sub-domain address?

@mailcheap said:

Pavin.

I'm using seafile as my "cloud" storage with its encryption enable on each folder.

I believe so; been a while since I used it.

Pavin.

• I've only used net2ftp but there seem to be some good suggestions above

Thanked by 1ehab
  • JamesKJamesK Member
    edited February 2017

I like to list some more from which few are paid and other are free and they are for windows:

Total Commander
    XYplorer
    FreeCommander
    Double Commander
    Far Manager
    Altap Salamander

You can read more at here to know about these file manager's pros and cons.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2017

JamesK said: I like to list some more from which few are paid and other are free and they are for windows:

Total Commander XYplorer FreeCommander Double Commander Far Manager Altap Salamander

Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of these would count as web file managers.

• filerun?

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

you can try h5ai or net2ftp

• MrKaruppu said: you can try h5ai or net2ftp

The link that you give for net2ftp leads to this thread.

• The worry about a lot of the web file managers out there is that they seem to be (semi-)abandoned. eXtplorer, for example, was last updated in January 2011.

Guess how many of these are still active:

http://nilambar.net/2012/10/best-free-web-based-file-management-scripts-in-php.html

@angstrom said:

The worry about a lot of the web file managers out there is that they seem to be (semi-)abandoned. eXtplorer, for example, was last updated in January 2011.

Guess how many of these are still active:

http://nilambar.net/2012/10/best-free-web-based-file-management-scripts-in-php.html

Ajaxplorer became Pydio; don't know if it has file explorer. Its a bit resource intensive on a Pi. The project is actively maintained though.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Cdoe said:
    Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Well I generally mount my seedbox files as a network drive and simply use windows explorer

Though you have to use this software

http://www.swish-sftp.org/

if browser based is must then pydio is a great option

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

@angstrom said:

MrKaruppu said: you can try h5ai or net2ftp

The link that you give for net2ftp leads to this thread.

Thanks for pointing out. Changed! :)

• neogeoneogeo Member
    edited February 2017

FileRun hands down

Thumbnails and viewer for both photos and videos:

Music player with FLAC/ALAC/MP3/OGG, etc support.

And lots of options for the rest of the file types:

• Here's a related thread:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1876472/

FileRun looks good, but at the same time fairly heavy, not to mention that it's commercial. Frankly, I don't see the real advantage over ownCloud/Nextcloud. But I guess that if you really need a Bing Maps plugin(!), FileRun may be what you need.

• @angstrom said:
    FileRun looks good, but at the same time fairly heavy, not to mention that it's commercial. Frankly, I don't see the real advantage over ownCloud/Nextcloud. But I guess that if you really need a Bing Maps plugin(!), FileRun may be what you need.

You comment on FileRun's ability to display a KML file, and still recommend ownCloud/Nextcloud with all the bloatware (Calendar, Contacts, Audio/Video Conferencing(!) and chat). Here's a technical advantage (if the user experience is not an obvious advantage for you): FileRun unzips in a 22MB folder, while Nextcloud which doesn't have even half of the file management features unzips in a massive 123 MB folder. The OP asked for the best "file manager".

Thanked by 2southy sarah
  • neogeo said: You comment on FileRun's ability to display a KML file, and still recommend ownCloud/Nextcloud with all the bloatware (Calendar, Contacts, Audio/Video Conferencing(!) and chat). Here's a technical advantage (if the user experience is not an obvious advantage for you): FileRun unzips in a 22MB folder, while Nextcloud which doesn't have even half of the file management features unzips in a massive 123 MB folder. The OP asked for the best "file manager".

Just curious: are you connected to FileRun in some way? So far, in every post, you've mentioned FileRun.

I didn't really recommend ownCloud/Nextcloud to the OP. It was more a personal statement of the kind "If one already has ownCloud/Nextcloud for other reasons, there's little reason to install FileRun in addition".

In any case, the OP also said that he/she doesn't want to install any "cloud software", which would rule out FileRun as well as most (if not all) other suggestions for a web file manager. (Perhaps the OP hadn't thought this through.)

• @neogeo said:
    FileRun hands down

Thanks for your excellent advice!
    Will try this solution soon.

Thanked by 2Mridul hdpixel
  • @neogeo said:
    FileRun hands down

Looks amazing, exactly what I was looking for. OwnCloud is bloated as hell.

• autoindex on;

Thanked by 2mfs Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @miau said:
    autoindex on;

And how exactly can you manage files this way?

• miaumiau Member
    edited February 2017

@Cdoe said:

@miau said:
    autoindex on;

And how exactly can you manage files this way?

There is nothing to manage on seedbox. Just download/stream. All I need to know is the exact condition in download folder.

The rest is managed through rutorrent or occasionally, sftp.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @miau said:
    There is nothing to manage on seedbox. Just download/stream. All I need to know is the exact condition in download folder.

The rest is managed through rutorrent or occasionally, sftp.

Hey smartass, few people already managed to give useful answers. And then you came with your directory listing method, which is nowhere close to "managing" files. Get out of this thread with your offtopic.

• Cdoe said: Hey smartass, few people already managed to give useful answers. And then you came with your directory listing method, which is nowhere close to "managing" files. Get out of this thread with your offtopic.

Hey, not a nice way to behave in your first discussion.

Instead, why don't you try to explain how you envision a web file manager without "cloud software"?

Or just use a GUI (s)ftp client and be done with it.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc vimalware
  • JamesKJamesK Member
    edited February 2017

@angstrom said:

JamesK said: I like to list some more from which few are paid and other are free and they are for windows:

Total Commander XYplorer FreeCommander Double Commander Far Manager Altap Salamander

Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of these would count as web file managers.

Sorry... These are for windows file manager. But this time found some web file manager which are :

HTTP Commander

FileVista

And You can find more 10 at free of cost at this resource.