Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developed our own VM control panel, need some beta testers! :-)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Developed our own VM control panel, need some beta testers! :-)

niknik Member, Host Rep

Hi LET,

since Virtkick is pretty much unusable for us since mid January we finally became serious of developing our own control panel. We were working 16h a day for the past 1-2 weeks and finally have something to show and would like to get some feedback from you guys before going live with the new panel.

It's the bare minimum feature wise (VM management, billing, support tickets) but we are able to replace Virtkick with it and since we are actually developing it and have access to the source code we finally are able to improve it how we see fit.

We also have plans to sell licenses for the panel, so if you are a provider and are in need of a new panel we would welcome you to try it as well.

Since resources are limited for the internal beta test (only around 60 GB RAM) we can't let everyone test it, so I would prefer known users or providers to write me a PM and I will send you a URL.

Thanks for any help! I'd really appreciate it.

N

Comments

• I don't really like the panels that do everything on its own. Are you planning to make a version that doesnt include billing and tickets?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

PMed you

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@cassa said:
    I don't really like the panels that do everything on its own. Are you planning to make a version that doesnt include billing and tickets?

Yes, API only version for WHMCS/Blesta/etc. integration. Billing and Support will be a separate module with the whole frontend for people who don't want to use WHMCS/Blesta.

Thanked by 2quadhost cassa
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

What time frame do you have on being able to support basic bandwidth limiting (Drops the NIC or shutdown+lock the VM)

Thanked by 1quadhost
  • WSSWSS Member

@nik - I can't login, and there is no logic for reset, so made a new account. :D

• pmed...

@pbgben said:
    What time frame do you have on being able to support basic bandwidth limiting (Drops the NIC or shutdown+lock the VM)

This is actually nearly finished in a separate app, we just have to copy it over. Don't want to give any ETA, but if this is a deciding factor we could move it up in the roadmap.

@WSS said:
    @nik - I can't login, and there is no logic for reset, so made a new account. :D

Sure, no problem, thanks for helping!

@nik said:

@pbgben said:

This is actually nearly finished in a separate app, we just have to copy it over. Don't want to give any ETA, but if this is a deciding factor we could move it up in the roadmap.

It was the primary reason Im forced to leave Virtkick. The Oz node I have to bring online needs to be bandwidth limited.

@pbgben said:

@nik said:

@pbgben said:

It was the primary reason Im forced to leave Virtkick. The Oz node I have to bring online needs to be bandwidth limited.

How fast do you need a working solution with that feature?

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited January 2017

Could you PM us access? Would be interesting to check out.

@pbgben said:

@nik said:

@pbgben said:

+1, It is a reason to leave Virtkick Virtualizor.

@quadhost said:
    Could you PM us access? Would be interesting to check out.

@pbgben said:

@nik said:

@pbgben said:

+1, It is a reason to leave Virtkick Virtualizor.

Well, I wont need it till OVH actually releases the product I was promised 3 months ago.

Wait this isnt supported in virtualizor either? Damn, that was my second choice.

• pbgben said: Wait this isnt supported in virtualizor either? Damn, that was my second choice.

Its a listed feature; but not working, for a long time.

Thanks for your help so far. I have shutdown the beta server while I will be sleeping. Will reply some more PMs tomorrow.

Thanked by 1quadhost
  • Does Proxmox have bandwidth limiting?

• Also will this control panel have the server ordering built in or will it be done externally via WHMCS, etc?

• No, only rate limiting.

@ethancedrik said:
    Does Proxmox have bandwidth limiting?

• You gonna release the code?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

nik said: We also have plans to sell licenses for the panel,

Will you have a documented and supported end to end migration path from virtualizor and solusvm?

@ethancedrik said:
    Also will this control panel have the server ordering built in or will it be done externally via WHMCS, etc?

Currently it's built in, but there will be an API only version for WHMCS.

@willie said:
    You gonna release the code?

Not sure yet, but not all of it. IF we open source anything it will only be the bare minimum without API and Billing so that people who use it commercially have to pay.

@AnthonySmith said:

Will you have a documented and supported end to end migration path from virtualizor and solusvm?

That's the plan, we are also looking into if it's possible to write a migrating tool so that the migration is done automatically, but since I am no Solus or Virtualizor expert I don't know if thats realistic. Have to look into it a bit more first before giving any final answer to that.

Thanked by 1MagicalTrain
  • nik said: IF we open source anything it will only be the bare minimum without API and Billing so that people who use it commercially have to pay.

Don't know about billing but I thought there were some decent api's already out there. Anyway yeah, I guess most of the users will want something integrated and supported rather than a bunch of code components. Thanks for the response.

nik said: That's the plan, we are also looking into if it's possible to write a migrating tool so that the migration is done automatically, but since I am no Solus or Virtualizor expert I don't know if thats realistic.

Ok thanks, so I suppose initially you are not looking to convert any of the primary market then and this is only aimed at new hosts who are not at the stage of choosing a panel. (which is fine).

@AnthonySmith said:

nik said: That's the plan, we are also looking into if it's possible to write a migrating tool so that the migration is done automatically, but since I am no Solus or Virtualizor expert I don't know if thats realistic.

Ok thanks, so I suppose initially you are not looking to convert any of the primary market then and this is only aimed at new hosts who are not at the stage of choosing a panel. (which is fine).

In the first place we were in need of a panel ourselves since Virtkick is broken more than 12h a day and unusable during that time. So the panel is in use at Nodion and battle tested when other providers want to use it, which is not the case for Virtkick.

Next step is to build it for other providers as well so that it can be sold easily, this is also the time when we will look into such things (migration paths, etc.)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

@nik said:

@AnthonySmith said:

That's the plan, we are also looking into if it's possible to write a migrating tool so that the migration is done automatically, but since I am no Solus or Virtualizor expert I don't know if thats realistic. Have to look into it a bit more first before giving any final answer to that.

If you get to this stage and your devs need some help I do consulting work. Systems integration is my speciality on top of many other things.

edited February 2017

Shame on you @ditlev I really wish you would stop buying decent products and almost instantly ruining them, seems to be the name OnApp actually want to build for themselves now.

If you compete we will buy you and make your product stagnate or fail.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

No screenshots? :P

@rsk said:

Here you go:
    http://jmp.sh/yIzQ3pu

Thanked by 2mailcheap rsk
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

@nik Looks great :)

EDIT: Any plans to add HA -instance recovery- in the future?

Pavin.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@nik what is it build on ?

@BharatB said:
    @nik what is it build on ?

Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Golang, PostgreSQL, Redis

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@nik said:

@rsk said:

Here you go:
    http://jmp.sh/yIzQ3pu

Cheers! Looks nice and clean. As a host i prefer the all in one solution for vm billing and support. Kudos to that.

Wish you all the best!