Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISP hosts servers? good idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISP hosts servers? good idea?

is it a good idea for an local ISP to host dedicated servers at their main network building?

i have around half rack empty at our IPS's networking room. I own some director shares in that ISP, our country is relatively new to "datacenter" concept. and currently have around 300mbit upload and 30mbit download bandwidth free on our network, tier 1 asian bandwidth and 24/7 power backup.

so basically i want to buy some hardware and put it on the rack, but my question is, in the hosting community, is this a acceptable term that ISP providing dedicated servers on their office/network building?

will really appreciate if anyone wants to personally help me with this matter :)

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Well, if it was the 90s, this would be standard. Did you OK this with your networking staff? Just because there are racks does not mean that they can be used for anything..

• @WSS said:
    Well, if it was the 90s, this would be standard. Did you OK this with your networking staff? Just because there are racks does not mean that they can be used for anything..

lets say i own 50% of the local isp :) providing the whole city for past 15 years :D

i understand there will be alot of ddos attacks but willing to start somewhere, lets say as a hobby of mine. and as the major share holder, i dont think my networking staff wont have a problem setting things up for me.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I'd say go for it, and i'd be willing to test it :D

• WSSWSS Member

@fahim5001 said:
    i understand there will be alot of ddos attacks but willing to start somewhere, lets say as a hobby of mine. and as the major share holder, i dont think my networking staff wont have a problem setting things up for me.

One way to find out! Put some cheap VPS here on LET and we'll see how it goes! :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

fahim5001 said: lets say i own 50% of the local isp :) providing the whole city for past 15 years :D

We're talking about New York City here, I bet.

• @raindog308 said:

fahim5001 said: lets say i own 50% of the local isp :) providing the whole city for past 15 years :D

We're talking about New York City here, I bet.

South asian, middle eastern if I had to guess.

Am I right, @fahim5001?

Be sure to offer us some of your stock!

• @WSS said:
    One way to find out! Put some cheap VPS here on LET and we'll see how it goes! :D

i am working on it.

@LivingSouL said:
    I'd say go for it, and i'd be willing to test it :D

i am planning to release a part of it for small-mid sized providers as low end dedi box, since asian bandwidth are expensive compared to other half of the world, i will release few prototypes, and have them for free test then ask interested provider to test the setup and how much they would pay for it.

hardware sourcing is also a bump, coz enterprise hardware is more overpriced (almost 30% more then their normal europe/usa retail price) so need to figure out a way to give access like IPMI to the node with consumer hardware like intel's "i" series and h110/z170 type of boards :(

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

Yeah many companies host servers in their own buildings, my high school has a server room that used to be an old classroom before they remodeled and it has carpet in it and everything and they have mission-critical servers and NAS, UPS, switches, phone system, etc all in there running the websites, databases and more for their entire district. It's locked off of course with keycard entry but I took some computer class where they took the students inside it for a little bit.

Thanked by 1Kay
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    Yeah many companies host servers in their own buildings, my high school has a server room that used to be an old classroom before they remodeled and it has carpet in it and everything and they have mission-critical servers and NAS, UPS, switches, phone system, etc all in there running the websites, databases and more for their entire district. It's locked off of course with keycard entry but I took some computer class where they took the students inside it for a little bit.

In the secondry school I went to, the servers were in 3 ~20U cabinets located BELOW the aircon in their office. Separated by some of those office cubical board things.

• which location ?