Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ecatel / QuasiNetworks sent me a legal threat.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ecatel / QuasiNetworks sent me a legal threat.

I woke up this morning to an angry legal threat from Ecatel / QN. What a fun way to start my morning off!

The ironic part was that it was a LET thread that spurred my post to begin with.

It refers to this blog article here.

Dear Jimmy / William Chen,

We demand you remove the following false information from your website
within 48 hours to prevent we will take legal actions against you within
your current country.

Your story is not true and contains false information about our company.
Ecatel is not re-branding to our company, we have takenover the AS29073
network 2 years ago which is used by a few large providers (ecatel was
one of them in the past). And That is ALL.

Also ecatel is not a criminal organisation, its a official company
registered in the UK and Netherlands. Details of the owners are easy to
find at the Chamber Of Commerce (MR JB Keijser is the current owner of
this company according to the Chamber of Commerce). If your story was
true this company was already taken down by the Government. But it exist
10+ years now according to the Chamber of Commerce.

Also Quasinetworks is not a criminal organisation, we work together with
Governments world-wide. The whois of all our ip addresses states:

remarks:
remarks:        IMPORTANT INFORMATION
remarks:
remarks:        We are a high bandwidth network provider offering
bandwidth solutions.
remarks:        Government agencies can sent their requests to
[email protected]
remarks:        Please only use [email protected] for abuse reports.
remarks:        For all other requests, please see the details on our
website.
remarks:

please remove your article.

https://ejanic.com/ecatel-is-rebranding-to-quasi-networks/

We reserve our right to claim any damages caused by the false
accusations published on your website.

— FR van Eeden. QN Government Abuse.
Thanked by 1Tom

Comments

• I would not care about it.

And the fact that they have an email just for government agencies just proves how much illegal shit they host.

Thanked by 2Kobe jh
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Man, so amateur hour...even if we don't consider the spelling/grammar errors.

"We reserve our right to claim any damages caused by the false accusations published on your website." OK...because that right needs to be reserved...? They sound like I used to sound in 5th grade when I wanted to be legalese.

Kobe said: We demand you remove

Kobe said: please remove

Next letter: "we beg you on our hands and knees..."

BTW, was this really posted in 2015? i.e., not last December but the December before? And so a year later they just noticed? If your post was such a grave threat then they'd be out of business by now.

Thanked by 2Kobe jh
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Dont they need to be able to prove damages to claim them?

• AnthonySmith said: Dont they need to be able to prove damages to claim them?

Depends on the country. Sometimes statutory damages can be awarded.

• raindog308 said: BTW, was this really posted in 2015? i.e., not last December but the December before? And so a year later they just noticed? If your post was such a grave threat then they'd be out of business by now.

Yep. Posted a few days after the thread I think.

inb4 LET gets a poorly worded baseless legal threat too.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

They could sue for defamation and slander. I think the maximum fine is 20k euro's/2 years in prison in the Netherlands.

Thanked by 1joeri
  • Independent of what you plan to do or should do from an ethical perspective: That text was not written by a lawyer and is no threat but some angry guy letting off some steam.

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    Independent of what you plan to do or should do from an ethical perspective: That text was not written by a lawyer and is no threat but some angry guy letting off some steam.

42 is not a prime number, for what it's worth.

• Bullshit. OF COURSE 42 is a prime number. In fact it is even a very nice prime number.

Proof: 42 can not be divided by any prime factor other than 2, 3, and 7 all of which I ignore as inconvenient and being prime only so as to nastily make 42 look non prime.

Moreover my rule for primeness clearly states "A prime number shall be any number which is divisable by only itself and 1 unless the number is 42 whose primeness is self evident by declaration".

Furthermore the primeness of 42 can also be shown by not being mentioned as not-prime in "waiting for Godot".

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • If you're in the US, see if your state has an Anti-SLAPP statute. That could give you an easier time.

• WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy said:
    Bullshit. OF COURSE 42 is a prime number. In fact it is even a very nice prime number.

You missed 6 for some inexplicable reason. Waiting for Godot was awful, even for a mockumentary- I had to make sure it wasn't actually directed by Moore. Still, I'd be happy to subject others to it. So, we can be lovers friends again?

• @WSS

I did not miss 6. I intentionally ignored it beccause it's a particularly nasty member of the conspiracy against 42's primeness.

• WSSWSS Member

What if 42 isn't prime, but it's ready..

• @vfuse said:
    They could sue for defamation and slander. I think the maximum fine is 20k euro's/2 years in prison in the Netherlands.

That's about right, €19.500 is the max.

bsdguy said: Proof: 42 can not be divided by any prime factor other than 2, 3, and 7 all of which I ignore as inconvenient and being prime only so as to nastily make 42 look non prime.

PLOT TWIST: it can also be divided by 21.

I know the field of base42 mathematics is new and full of surprising developed, so maybe this has already been factored (har!) into your theory.

Not even going to get into fractions or how the square root of 42 is irrational...

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@ContraWeb said:

@vfuse said:

And the Legal costs for ElcatelQuasihobo to file such a claim. If they were serious they would have had it drafted by a professional. Best wait for a legitimate letter with legal standing to arrive.

• ContraWebContraWeb Member
    edited January 2017

@pbgben said:

@ContraWeb said:

@vfuse said:

And the Legal costs for ElcatelQuasihobo to file such a claim. If they were serious they would have had it drafted by a professional. Best wait for a legitimate letter with legal standing to arrive.

Yeah u will be far over 20K with legal costs.

• Dear William Chen / owner and author of ejanic.com

Below e-mail has come to my attention. I have reviewed all documents and
    see we have not received any response on below e-mail. But i see you
    added our e-mail to your blog which means you have take note of our
    message. Thank you for that.

We want to make you aware we will claim 5k USD per day losses the false
    information stays online on your website.

If no action from your side we will hire a lawyer in your country and do
    everything within our power to claim the damages caused by you and keep
    you personally responsible, since you are the author of this false
    article and the owner of this website.

Any suppliers providing you services to publish this false information
    will be kept responsible as-well and if necessary taken to court since
    we have bought
    this case to their attention aswell. (e.g. your domain registrar
    namesilo.com and cloudflare.com).

Of course we hope there is no need to go so far, and we can come to an
    amicable solution. But if required we will.

Actions like this are unacceptable.

Martin Lellu.

QN Operations & ABUSE.

Evidently, they're very upset.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Irony.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Just transfer the domain to @William and let him deal with the aftermath.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog quick
  • SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I wonder. If they for some reason hired a lawyer and went after Kobe ($$$$ in lawyer costs), would they win if they sued? Or does that not matter because we believe the threats are empty handed?

• SSDBlaze said: would they win if they sued?

If that was likely, they probably wouldn't be playing the Game of Armchair Lawyer.

In the US, at least, they'd probably have a very low chance of success. Elsewhere, I dunno.

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
  • I sent them back a response asking them to apologize and that I would work with them to resolve the issue if they agree to be polite and cordial from now on.

• A

Microlinux said: In the US, at least, they'd probably have a very low chance of success.

Virtually none.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Proving_libel

"For example, in the United States, the person must prove that the statement was false, caused harm, and was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. For a celebrity or a public official, the person must prove the first three steps and that the statement was made with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth, which is usually specifically referred to as "proving malice"."

I'm guessing that somewhere Elcatel has boasted that they're fast-growing and enjoying great success since December 2015, etc. and that will eliminate the "caused harm" part of their argument. They'd really have to show that people didn't sign up specifically because of that post.

Thanked by 1Microlinux
  • Reading that "letter" just lowered my IQ ..

• Ready to donate 50 Euros to you in case they make their threat true and bring this to court.

• Do not remove, they cant do nothing. Thats your right to think like that. A good move will be to move your site in the netherland.

• GravelyGravely Member
    edited February 2017

Gofundme inc

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Don't know what country this epic legal battle is in but in the UK if you threaten legal action for financial compensation without being able to show you have done due diligence to ensure you have a reasonable claim you can get criminal charges pressed against you for harassment and attempted extortion.