Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS for Tor exit node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS for Tor exit node

alicealice Member
edited January 2017 in Requests

Greetings,

I would like to run a Tor exit node on a KVM VPS and pay 6-8 euro/month with bitcoin.
Minimum requirements:
1 core
128 MB ram
3 GB disk space
500 GB bandwidth/month
100 Mb network speed
SolusVM or similar for reboots after customer error (ouch)

It would be nice to have more bandwidth and speed.
These specs are easy to find, but hosts allowing Tor are not.
I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2017

alice said: 128 MB ram

Did you ever run Tor before, I have to wonder?

alice said: specs are easy to find, but hosts allowing Tor are not.

Hosts allowing Tor relays are easy to find, allowing Tor exits are not. Don't conflate the two.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

OP reverted. @alice do not remove all content from your post. Once it's posted it's there forever, you're welcome to make revisions but not completely remove or change its meaning.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

I forget what Virtwire's old DC was but Ryan (Virtwire guy) claimed they were cool with it, so he allowed exits when he was operating. If you're new here, Virtwire eventually deadpooled with about an average amount of drama. I don't think Tor had much to do with it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Once it's posted it's there forever

Let's just quote the entire thing to make sure.

alice said: I would like to run a Tor exit node on a KVM VPS and pay 6-8 euro/month with bitcoin. Minimum requirements: 1 core 128 MB ram 3 GB disk space 500 GB bandwidth/month 100 Mb network speed SolusVM or similar for reboots after customer error (ouch)

It would be nice to have more bandwidth and speed. These specs are easy to find, but hosts allowing Tor are not. I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

• Actually, I consider this a very good point. We see many offers for VPS, cloud and dedicated servers, but not specifically allowing Tor exit node. I would also be curious to see offers that allow Tor exit node.

• I've heard there are so many exits in AWS that the Tor maintainers think it's risky to have so much concentration. I also have the impression that lots of exits are on home ISP connections. Dunno though. I've never really believed in Tor and never used it.

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited January 2017

@willie said:
    I've heard there are so many exits in AWS that the Tor maintainers think it's risky to have so much concentration. I also have the impression that lots of exits are on home ISP connections. Dunno though. I've never really believed in Tor and never used it.

Ive heard that statement most often in conjunction with OVH. Craptons of exits are in their network. There are just a few large providers that people often use.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@MagicalTrain said:

@willie said:
    I've heard there are so many exits in AWS that the Tor maintainers think it's risky to have so much concentration. I also have the impression that lots of exits are on home ISP connections. Dunno though. I've never really believed in Tor and never used it.

Ive heard that statement most often in conjunction with OVH. Craptons of exits are in their network. There are just a few large providers that people often use.

I hear there are many three letter "hosts" that allow exit nodes. Ovh, aws, nsa, cia, etc

Thanked by 4WSS willie Clouvider Yura
  • willie said: I've heard

MagicalTrain said: Ive heard

pbgben said: I hear

There's a lot of listening going on.

• @Ole_Juul said:

willie said: I've heard

MagicalTrain said: Ive heard

pbgben said: I hear

There's a lot of listening going on.

i hear that too!

• I wonder if @Francisco allows tor exit nodes on their slices? Would make sense with it being dedicated resources.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@WSCallum said:
    I wonder if @Francisco allows tor exit nodes on their slices? Would make sense with it being dedicated resources.

Pretty sure not.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TOR exits have always been problematic since people don't maintain them properly. We've had more than a few cases where people run an exit node and use it as an excuse for brute forcing/abusing/attacking/etc right off their VPS.

Francisco

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2017

Have seen Francisco's observation also. "Oh it's a Tor exit node" then we replied "udp.pl was running on your service not related to Tor exit node"

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • jamjam Member

There are any KVM yearly deal with TOR entry/bridge (no exit) and streisand allowed ?

• @jam said:
    There are any KVM yearly deal with TOR entry/bridge (no exit) and streisand allowed ?

Almost all providers allow TOR relay nodes, but only few allow exit nodes, because exit nodes have their IP address seen at destination, while relay nodes do not.

Please note: this discussion is about exit nodes being allowed, because few providers allow it, therefore those offers are extremely rare.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: I've heard there are so many exits in AWS that the Tor maintainers think it's risky to have so much concentration.

AWS? Really? With pay-per-GB pricing? Huh.

OP, you have looked at this?

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

• @Francisco said:
    TOR exits have always been problematic since people don't maintain them properly. We've had more than a few cases where people run an exit node and use it as an excuse for brute forcing/abusing/attacking/etc right off their VPS.

Francisco

would you perhaps consider allowing one if the customer makes regular contact with support and hastily and honestly replies to abuse emails? i'd be more than happy to talk to you about this further if you'd like. your prices are very good.

thanks (:

• @cociu Bad ISP

• Flokinet

• Tor project keeps the list of ISPs that allow Tor exits.

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

• I can offer u this from the Netherlands, PM me if interested.

• i can offer you a vps directly for tor usage/exitnode.
    http://smcxskw2xx6ztc3u.onion/

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

@OnionSpace said:
    i can offer you a vps directly for tor usage/exitnode.

I see that you are a new user. But you need to have provider tag to offer services. You can find the rules here.

• @MrKaruppu said:

@OnionSpace said:
    i can offer you a vps directly for tor usage/exitnode.

I see that you are a new user. But you need to have provider tag to offer services. You can find the rules here.

Actually, you dont. Only to post in the offers section. Just dont hide your company behind a "pm me for details" without having any public publication to your company.

@Cikon said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

would you perhaps consider allowing one if the customer makes regular contact with support and hastily and honestly replies to abuse emails? i'd be more than happy to talk to you about this further if you'd like. your prices are very good.

thanks (:

I've been spending some time talking to my staff about it, and depending how a few more chats go we'll likely open up our TOR policy to allow exit's, so long as the customer documents to us (ticket) that they're running one. We'd obviously enforce it as a KVM/Slice only thing to keep things under control.

Users will still have to address things like DDOS and such, but I wasn't sure if that was much of a concern these days or not.

Lots of people seem to use ROOTSA directly for their TOR's, but maybe our slices will draw some interest :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Lots of people seem to use ROOTSA directly for their TOR's, but maybe our slices will draw some interest :)

Francisco

Huh.. anybody want an onnion slice?

Thanked by 2Francisco raindog308

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Huh.. anybody want an onnion slice?

I like you.

Francisco

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

MrKaruppu said: Tor project keeps the list of ISPs that allow Tor exits.

This list is not maintained by Tor, everyone can edit. Lots of content on it is actually from me anyway and outdated.

raindog308 said: AWS? Really? With pay-per-GB pricing? Huh.

Yes, someone pays exit at AWS. Who? Nobody knows. You also see Iranian exits appear (and disappear) all the time.

Further, yes, OVH and a few other ISPs are highly disliked by both the Tor backbone team (which, at this time, is in very complicated situation anyway with Applebaum) and the community - Please do NOT run further relays/entry at OVH or Online, this degrades security.

Francisco said: Lots of people seem to use ROOTSA directly for their TOR's, but maybe our slices will draw some interest :)

Root/Server.lu is also on the verge of being overused, you will with this offer and more providers there actually downgrade network security - not improve it.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: very complicated situation anyway with Applebaum

What is the latest with that guy? I searched the news, and there doesn't seem to have been any recent update.