Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Email hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Email hosting

GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
edited January 2017 in General

So around summer of 2015 I had a domain that I wanted email hosting for, I put in a support ticket at OVH.ie asking if they could somehow give me their email hosting for my domain name that wasn't hosted with them, and to my surprise I got a reply,

Dear customer,

>

Can you confirm us if the domain you want to buy an MX Plan is (domain name redacted) and what's the MX package you want please?
Here is the link for you to check the offer details: https://www.ovh.ie/products/mxplan.xml

>

With those informations we will be able to manually create an order for you. Thank you.

and then after I replied

Dear customer,

>

We have created an order for you to be able to purchase a MX Plan 5 accounts: https://www.ovh.ie/cgi-bin/order/displayOrder.cgi?orderId=(REDACTED)&orderPassword=(REDACTED)
Please double check if the domain is correct, and if it's, you can pay.

>

Once order is finished, you will be able to create up to 5 email accounts with 5GB each.

>
>

Regards
Ricardo D.

>

OVH IE Support Team

and I paid that order for a total of around $5 USD for 5 email accounts for "This service is valid indefinetly so you never have to renew it!", no joke.

I was amazed that I could get 5 email accounts for only $5 for apparently forever on a domain that I was using with GoDaddy and had no web hosting purchased at all, they were able to manually create an order that just gave me the email hosting that you would normally only get if you paid for a web hosting package.

So it's now 2017 and I thought I'd get this again for another domain I had, however Ricardo doesn't seem to be with OVH.ie anymore and I got a couple replies from different people over at OVH.ie basically saying this wasn't possible and I'd have to order web hosting or buy a domain with them. My last reply to that ticket was info about the original ticket number I found by going through my email and the name of the person who did it for me so they could find the old ticket and see what I meant and I still to this day haven't gotten a response back from them after I sent that info.

Has anyone else been able to do this? I am just going to assume that it's pretty much a lost cause at this point to try and get that lucky again.

Comments

• I'm assuming that you can't just order this through the manager as the instructions say?

• @Nekki said:
    I'm assuming that you can't just order this through the manager as the instructions say?

If you bought the domain with them then yes I used to have a .ovh domain name that would show up as choosable for ordering, but now I don't have that anymore and it just remains blank, even if I add the non-ovh domain as a DNS record it still doesn't seem to show up, which is why I assume they had to create a manual order the last time I wanted their email hosting.

• ethancedrik said: If you bought the domain with them then yes I used to have a .ovh domain name that would show up as choosable for ordering, but now I don't have that anymore and it just remains blank, even if I add the non-ovh domain as a DNS record it still doesn't seem to show up, which is why I assume they had to create a manual order the last time I wanted their email hosting.

Could it because you don't have a payment method registered in the panel? I think that's what the pink warning you've cut off says.

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited January 2017

There is an option to add an external domain somewhere, which is meant to setup DNS records before you transfer a domain to OVH. Maybe it is possible to buy an MX plan as well if you do this.

Edit: Domains > Add a DNS zone

• southysouthy Member
    edited January 2017

Hi,

I have tried ordering an MX plan for a domain registered somewhere else (and only present as DNS Zone) as well some time ago - it's not possible.
    At least the manager will not let you order it this way - payment method whatever.

I mean, for obvious reasons - this thing is dirt-cheap, no wonder they at least want to have you as paying domain customer.

If you got this on goodwill a while ago, be happy and keep it - but I'd doubt you'll get this again today.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

You can get free domain email hosting at migadu.com (unlimited domains, "unlimited" storage, maximum 10 outgoing emails per day and they put their blurb into the signature), or very cheap no-frills hosting with high limits from mxroute.com which is run by LET's own Jarland. He's got some good promo codes that still work in various posts you can look for.

Migadu's paid products (lifting the limits of the free one) are interesting and slick, though more expensive than mxroute. I have a discount code I can send you in pm if you want it (not affiliate or anything like that). I've been fooling around with their free plan and it's neat, but I haven't felt a need for their paid plan, since I have a couple with mxroute that I'm happy with.

• milomilo Member
    edited January 2017

wow that is very good deal you had there @ethancedrik

so, if you bought a domain from ovh, you can purchase this one time mxplan?

how is the quality of their email service? i.e. spam filtering, deliverability, etc.

gandi.net provide free email also for all registered domain with them, might be worth to consider ovh as an alternative.

• milo said:

gandi.net provide free email also for all registered domain with them,

Gandi's email service has no backups according to their TOS, which makes it useless as a hosted service. I sent a gripe about this to their nobullshit address and haven't heard anything back, not that I expected to, lol.

• @willie said:

milo said:

gandi.net provide free email also for all registered domain with them,

Gandi's email service has no backups according to their TOS, which makes it useless as a hosted service. I sent a gripe about this to their nobullshit address and haven't heard anything back, not that I expected to, lol.

thanks for the heads up. didn't know about this. they charge slightly more expensive though for the same domain extension, compared to other registrars.

• I suggest just getting one of the discounted mxroute plans. It's ridiculously affordable and while not exactly slick, it does almost everything one could reasonably expect.

Thanked by 2jar ThracianDog
  • southysouthy Member
    edited January 2017

@milo said:
    wow that is very good deal you had there @ethancedrik
    so, if you bought a domain from ovh, you can purchase this one time mxplan?

Yes you can, but it will only work for this domain.
    You can't use the mailboxes for another domain.
    So: for domains that are not registered there, but only in DNS | OVH, you can't use the MX plan.

AFAIK, this is the "normal" email service just as they have it in all shared hosting packages, so it does include SPAM/virus filtering, IMAP, ...

So for low end requirements e.g. for a private domain, it is indeed a sweet deal:
    Pay <6 EUR one-time and you get 4x email-accounts (the 5th is set fix to "postmaster@").
    And from then on only pay for the domain.
    So you can set up your family with email for really cheap.
    Larger plans are also available, all one-off payments only, no recurring fees apart from domain itself.

Sidenote: If I'm not completely off, at OVH you'll get ona email account with any domain registered there anyway.

• lol I was able to do this with the OVH API, on an ovh.ie account add the domain to OVH's DNS servers, then https://api.ovh.com/console/#/order/email/domain/new/{duration}#POST for duration put down 12 and domain put down your domain and for the offer select the offer from this page, https://www.ovh.ie/products/mxplan.xml and then click "Execute" and under result click on the order URL, pay for it and bam.

I tried this on my ovh.co.uk account and it said I didn't have permission and wouldn't let me, but it worked on my ovh.ie account just fine despite being deprecated, let's hope and pray ovh doesn't disable this.

Thanked by 2southy Razza
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I just bought one. It says on the page that they are not to be renewed, however in the manager says "automatic renewal", next year in February. I wonder which of the statements is true.

Thanked by 1southy
  • southysouthy Member
    edited February 2017

LOL. @ethancedrik you're the best :-)
    Tried it as well.
    Works fine for an ovh.de-account. (API call via ovh.com as described above).
    Even thought they marked this API call as "deprecated" it still is working.
    Too sad you can't expand those boxes a bit to more than 5 GB.

BTW: what is this: "/order/email/pro/{service}/account/{duration}" ?
    "Email Pro"? What product is that? I'd try, but I can't find out what to put in as "service".

• @Radi said:
    I just bought one. It says on the page that they are not to be renewed, however in the manager says "automatic renewal", next year in February. I wonder which of the statements is true.

Yeah, even the one that ovh support originally did for me says it's going to be renewed next year, I guess I'll find out as well. If it really is 12 months then ehh I mean that's still way better than what other providers charge on a monthly basis for pretty much the same thing.

southy said: BTW: what is this: "/order/email/pro/{service}/account/{duration}" ? "Email Pro"? What product is that? I'd try, but I can't find out what to put in as "service".

I'll look into that, I too would like to know what the pro email service is and how it differs from the regular hosting email

Thanked by 1southy
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@ethancedrik I called them today. The response, I got is that MX plan service does not need to be renewed. I can use it for life.

Thanked by 1southy
  • Is ovh mx plan reliable and stable as Gsuite and yandex?

• @surihost said:
    Is ovh mx plan reliable and stable as Gsuite and yandex?

Yeah, me personally I've been using it for about a year and haven't had any issues. It's hosted in France but yeah i can access their webmail via roundcube, or from an email client over POP and SMTP, and they support TLS and SSL encryption on emails, all the stuff you'd expect

• southy said: BTW: what is this: "/order/email/pro/{service}/account/{duration}" ? "Email Pro"? What product is that? I'd try, but I can't find out what to put in as "service".

It may be for an older version of Exchange email, the login can be seen here https://mail.ovh.net/en/owa/ which uses the MS Outlook web interface as opposed to Roundcube

• Is it possible to use IMAP instead of POP ?

• yes imap is supported.

• A quick update – the trick is still working. At least it did work for me on my ovh.co.uk account – managed to create an MXPLAN5 for just 6 quid. Thanks for the solution!

Thanked by 1mwt
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@kashmiri said:
    A quick update – the trick is still working. At least it did work for me on my ovh.co.uk account – managed to create an MXPLAN5 for just 6 quid. Thanks for the solution!

I know this is your first comment in 4 years but please don't necropost - it's a 5 year old thread.

Anyways, please read the rules if you haven't already ✌️

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/137719/lowendtalk-community-rules/p1