Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question on Windows OEM license and VM creation.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question on Windows OEM license and VM creation.

kumarkumar Member

I have one Dell server with windows server OEM seal. The node is currently running Linux (with KVM).

I hope someone from LET can help me

• Can I use OEM virtual key to license VM in Linux environment.
  • Just to understand, should I need any other Windows License to sell VM. Is it legit to sell OEM key based VM on a Linux environment.
  • To be on the safe side is it recommended to use OEM license on physical node and use Hyper-V to create VMs.

Comments

• As far as I know, to sell, the only legitimate license is SPLA. All others are either illegal, or dodgy at best.

Thanked by 1kumar
  • What you say is possible, but with OEM license key, you may require BIOS modifications on your virtual environment.

The best way is to use evaluation edition, refresh the trial up to 3 times, giving you 1 year of usage.

The only legal pathway is SPLA. Audits can be performed by MSFT.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

mariafashion said: The best way is to use evaluation edition, refresh the trial up to 3 times, giving you 1 year of usage.

That would be illegal if the VM would be sold to the Customer.

The only legal pathway is SPLA. Audits can be performed by MSFT.

+1.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Moving forward SPLA is like getting more complicated. It is the best you contact your local SPLA provider to fully understand the licensing model.

Those on old model will be force to move to new scheme on the next agreement renewal

• Thanks for the explanation!
    Does anyone have any experience with insight.com, any other recommendations for small business.

ExpertVM said: Moving forward SPLA is like getting more complicated.

Oh my! It’s moving to cores from server 2016!! is that true.

@kumar yup. you will most likely fall into the core licensing scheme already

@kumar yup. you will most likely fall into the core licensing scheme already