Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bandwidth price
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bandwidth price

haphanhaphan Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hi all,

I am currently having few vpses here and there, 2 of them are from buyvm/frantech.

One thing i dont get it is that buyvm offers loads of free bandwidth (mine has 3tb/month) while other providers like linode, hostigation only provide something like 500GB for a 1gb ram node.

So my question is that is network bw that expensive ($100/1TB/linode)?and how come buyvm is able to do that for so much less?

Cheers

Comments

• Bandwidth can be bought for as low as $1/mbps in the USA, from at least two providers - Cogent and HE.net. Probably also from some others.
    1 mbps gives about 300GB of bandwidth (if counted one way).
    So do the math yourself.
    Of course bandwidth from other providers like Level3 is a lot more expensive than this. So the bandwidth costs for the provider also depeds on the bandwidth mix. And the volume they have.

• An important question is how much of your 3TB do you actually use? I have a feeling that most of Buyvm's customers only use a fraction. Now I bet that some do use it all, but if the average is low enough you can offer the higher amount.

Other providers that provide lower bandwidth are happy to sell you more. Think of it as an additional profit center.

• @cleonard said: An important question is how much of your 3TB do you actually use? I have a feeling that most of Buyvm's customers only use a fraction.

That's the idea. And Fran said IIRC, if they need more, they will buy more xD

• haphanhaphan Member
    edited January 2012

@cleonard said: An important question is how much of your 3TB do you actually use? I have a feeling that most of Buyvm's customers only use a fraction. Now I bet that some do use it all, but if the average is low enough you can offer the higher amount.

Agree! Personally I used 2.2/3TB last month but I doubt other users will use that much. I have a friend who also has a vps with buyvm and he never uses more than 10% of his allowance.

On the other hand, if the above assumption is true, why other providers lower the bandwidth allowance? I doubt selling more bandwidth is their main profit source.

Cheers.

• @WhiteLabelHosting in Europe it is more expensive. What costs $1 in USA, costs 1 EUR here (atleast the bandwidth).
    And providers must purchase pipes based on peak usage, not average.
    So $15 for 1000GB (or 3Mbps average) might be a little high, but not all that unreasonable.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@cleonard said: An important question is how much of your 3TB do you actually use? I have a feeling that most of Buyvm's customers only use a fraction. Now I bet that some do use it all, but if the average is low enough you can offer the higher amount.

We use around 1.3Gbit outbound at peak and 400 - 500mbit/sec inbound so we're using quite a bit of our whole allocation :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We use around 1.3Gbit outbound at peak and 400 - 500mbit/sec inbound so we're using quite a bit of our whole allocation :)

Wow, that is much less than my guess but the network performance is very good though.

• @Francisco said: We use around 1.3Gbit outbound at peak and 400 - 500mbit/sec inbound so we're using quite a bit of our whole allocation :)

And yet when I use 400 Mbit Matt complains and bugs me to use more ;)

• @haphan said: how come buyvm is able to do that for so much less?

To be perfectly honest, we're not in this to get rich. BuyVM developed to be what we feel to be a fair price for the service you receive, not what the hosting industry believes to be fair :P

Thanked by 2maxexcloo Abhishek
  • @haphan said: hostigation only provide something like 500GB for a 1gb ram node.

It's a starting point, and honestly, like someone said earlier about BuyVM and their 3tb offer, few use it, and same for me, few use what is allocated, but there is a limit in place to discourage wasteful use. I'd prefer everyone gets what they need without worry of overage fees, but also curtail needless use of bandwidth.

• frivolous/needless use of precious resources is the American way!

• We're a Canadian company, actually. Hope you washed your feet today :3

• And here I am blowing through what Pyramid gives me last month. Oops.

:whistle:

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited January 2012

@drmike hahahaha i'm just tired when my client asking me about that "very low" bandwidth.. i have two options, 1. create predefined ticket, or 2. just raise all client bandwidth. i prefer to chose number 2. :P but i'm sure i still have a lot of bandwidth free for use.

• JoelJoel Member
    edited January 2012

@rajprakash said: frivolous/needless use of precious resources is the American way!

Yet here you are contributing to that of which you state by making a meaningless post with little to no relevance. Pot? Kettle? Black?

/goes back to trying to frivolously and needlessly max out a 1Gbit line.

• @Joel you forget to swear. :)

@Mon5t3r I'm of the same thought with the hosting that we do. While we only officially offer a 100 gigs of transfer, most clients use less than half each month.

/goes back to download Star Trek Online since it's gone free to pay.

• Well, if you happen to buy bandwidth in Asia, I guess you'll shout OMG and feel the urge to redefine the meaning of "expensive".

:)

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited January 2012

@drmike yes.. for example, my OVH server had 15TB monthly bw in 1gbps port, but the total use for around 30 VPS is only 2-5TB in every month.

@ElohkCalb true!!! hahahaha

• edited January 2012

It wouldn't suprise me if francisco is living out of tent as all buyvms profits seem to be reinvested.

(Hope that bear doesn't get pissed of with francisco due to no stock)

Thanked by 1tux
  • @WhiteLabelHosting : That's pretty much the issue over here in Asia-Pacific. 4TB of 100Mbps costs around ~$300 for datacenter connections and you see those ISP's offer fibre connections that have loads of local bandwidth, but international bandwidth gets limited to the point it's like a cable connection :/