Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage VPS providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage VPS providers

Ive been using Time4VPS so far with their old ~500GB storage vps at 17€ annually. Are there any providers that are as reliable as Time4VPS and around the same pricing? Which storage vps providers do you recommend?

Comments

• At those prices... No one.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Are you looking for same price?

• Similar. But if not possible I am looking for the most reliable budget storage providers out there :)

• Except for the occasional promo you can't really come close to that pricing any more. If you like time4vps I'd just stay with them. Even after the price increase they're still about the cheapest out there. Their smallest plan now is 1TB but maybe you could ask them about upgrading your current plan to that.

• I still have one of their old 17€/year plans so I am totally fine with that one :P Was just looking for another location^^

• @i83 does reliable storage at good prices if you can manage with NAT

Thanked by 2Ympker i83
  • I've read some rumors about @cociu hatching some storage plans

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

@cociu has a 400gb offer here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/101910/happy-new-year-let-storage-vps-romania-1gbps-400gb-hdd-4gb-ram-4core/p1

It's quite a bit more expensive per GB than time4vps, but it's a powerful OpenVZ [fixed] with lots more ram and it's RAID 10, so it's more of a live server than t4v's plan, which is intended for semi-cold backups and has lower performance.

If you just want a cold backup rather than a vps, the cheapest I know of is OVH: https://www.ovh.com/fr/public-cloud/storage/cloud-archive/

500GB storage costs would be just 1 euro/month. The catch is there is a 0.01 euro/GB upload fee and another 0.01/GB download fee, so it's 5 euros to put the data there in the first place, and another 5 to get it out. You'd use that if you want to park the data for years without expecting to touch it at all.

Edit: fixed virtualization type per @lion.

• @willie said:

powerful KVM

it's OpenVZ

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

@YMPKER

If a reseller was to use one of OVH's 72TB Storage servers at $427.94

RAM: 64GB
    CPU Score: 9987
    HDD R6: 60TB

Per TB:
    Cost: $7.14
    RAM: 1GB
    CPU Share: 166

Thats not the best, So they would have to oversell on CPU a significant amount (Not usually an issue but upto 60 users on a 6core is a mess)

The host offering this at $7 is making a loss, and hoping on overselling storage, WHICH IS A BAD IDEA as people always use the storage.

The IO on this would be bad too.

• Where did OVH come into this? Overselling storage with careful monitoring is ok, especially with smaller plans and longer renewal periods. I think T4vps got in trouble because they offered unlimited big plans and people bought a lot of them and filled them immediately.

Usually when I buy storage, I get more than I need expecting to fill it over time, which means the host doesn't have to add more disk space til later, after hdd prices have supposedly dropped. I suspect lots of last years offers were based on that theory. Then disk prices didn't drop (and have actually been going up) so we don't see such good plans this year.

@willie said:
    Where did OVH come into this? Overselling storage with careful monitoring is ok, especially with smaller plans and longer renewal periods. I think T4vps got in trouble because they offered unlimited big plans and people bought a lot of them and filled them immediately.

Usually when I buy storage, I get more than I need expecting to fill it over time, which means the host doesn't have to add more disk space til later, after hdd prices have supposedly dropped. I suspect lots of last years offers were based on that theory. Then disk prices didn't drop (and have actually been going up) so we don't see such good plans this year.

It was an indication of what storage can cost a provider, so if your geting somthing for less, ask how they can do that AND stay in business.

I also just finished calculating "Own Hardware" too.

Server: $5000 for 48TB HDD, 72GB RAM, 14,000CPU Score

Selling 2TB for between $6(Cover Colo) and $20(Pay off hardware in 12Months)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

People shouldn't expect much in cpu or iops from cheap storage, so you can go with a cheaper server. Raw hdd is about $30/TB so 2x it for raid and wrapping a server around it. 48TB=$2880 = $240/mo for 12 months = $5/TB/mo plus colo costs. Lower if you pay off hw over 24 months which some people seem willing to do. My own calculation for owned hw and rented colo was about $2.05/TiB/mo spread over 3 years. But that was for my own use, not selling hosting plans. And you can do a bit better with Seagate SMR drives which have slow write speed. Those wouldn't be ok for VPS hosting though.

FWIW: Hetzner storage box is 4 euro/month/TB in the larger sizes, 5 euro/mo in 2TB. They're not going out of business. You can rent their SX291 server at around $3.75TiB/mo (+ 1 mo setup) counting 2 parity drives (hw raid) and they presumably make a profit on those. The smaller SX131 is $4.13/TiB/mo with software raid, 2 parity.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • RoSHRoSH Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    People shouldn't expect much in cpu or iops from cheap storage, so you can go with a cheaper server. Raw hdd is about $30/TB so 2x it for raid and wrapping a server around it. 48TB=$2880 = $240/mo for 12 months = $5/TB/mo plus colo costs. Lower if you pay off hw over 24 months which some people seem willing to do. My own calculation for owned hw and rented colo was about $2.05/TiB/mo spread over 3 years. But that was for my own use, not selling hosting plans. And you can do a bit better with Seagate SMR drives which have slow write speed. Those wouldn't be ok for VPS hosting though.

We were able to get good IOPS on our big storage plans and have done so for past two years. We invested a lot of time and resources and found that at $10/tb we could offer a high performance low cost solution. I think offering affordable storage solutions without sacrificing performance is definitely possible :)

Here are some benchmarks someone else posted: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1950111/#Comment_1950111

I'm getting very similar results and the node is at 80% capacity.

edited January 2017

@willie said:

My calculation for owned hardware was for a decent service/performance, not just cheap as possible. I never aim to provide sub standard.

The plan was to go with the "Slots" style where each 2TB disk was directly attached to a VM so I went with SSHD disks from Seagate for an edge in IO. The chassis was a cheapout on used supermicro with used ram and cpus. But that should be fine.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

RoSH said: at $10/tb we could offer a high performance low cost solution.

That is reasonable, but it's not in the same page of "low cost" as time4vps ($4.25/TB) or c14 ($2.12/TB) at current euro FX. You probably have to sacrifice significant features/performance to get there. Owning your own DC also helps.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

pbgben said:

My calculation for owned hardware was for a decent service/performance, not just cheap as possible. I never aim to provide sub standard.

Fair enough. I went for "cheap" since my calculations were for storing my own data, not hosting storage for other people.

As a storage user I care about reliability (RAID etc., stable provider) but am often not fussy about performance at all. I see a good market for pure FTP storage at $3/TB as well as good-performing VPS or dedis at $10/TB. I use both kinds and prefer to think of performance as an optional feature whose pricing I can factor into my purchase decisions.

• RoSHRoSH Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:

RoSH said: at $10/tb we could offer a high performance low cost solution.

That is reasonable, but it's not in the same page of "low cost" as time4vps ($4.25/TB) or c14 ($2.12/TB) at current euro FX. You probably have to sacrifice significant features/performance to get there. Owning your own DC also helps.

That's true, that's a significant difference.

• I am acctually gonna try Hetzner this time :) They have been having a fairly good reputation over the years without me ever trying them out. Also I think @Amitz was using them and was very happy^^

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I'm happy with Hetzner, but

1) you don't get good pricing with their storage plans til you're at the 2TB level; if you only want 500GB it's less attractive.

2) their storage plans are not VPS, they're ftp/sftp.

If you want a 500GB VPS, there are various options but all that I know of will be somewhat more expensive than what you're paying now.

• @willie said:
    I'm happy with Hetzner, but

1) you don't get good pricing with their storage plans til you're at the 2TB level; if you only want 500GB it's less attractive.

2) their storage plans are not VPS, they're ftp/sftp.

If you want a 500GB VPS, there are various options but all that I know of will be somewhat more expensive than what you're paying now.

Well what be your suggestions? I can still hear them out I guess xD

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

Cheapest I know of for 500GB is openvz.io, 3 GBP/month in Dallas, AMS, and London. I haven't tried them but they're an INIZ brand, which is well regarded. OTOH, it's raid-50 storage which is not ideal.

Serverhub ( @RoSH ) has $5/month plans in various locations. RoSH, I think this might have come up before, but can you tell us the RAID level? And do any of those coupons still work? ;-)

@i83 also has some NAT-only plans at 37.50 gbp/year, iirc. Don't know the RAID level, suspect RAID-5 (4 drive) in at least some locations. I got two of their 250gb plans on promo and they work well.

For KVM, this looks promising, supposedly limited but still appears orderable: https://www.tragicservers.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1

You just missed a terrific ZXHost promo, unfortunately (1 TB Ceph KVM at $48/year). I got one, and wish I got more but am glad I didn't, if you know what I mean ;-).

Thanked by 2Ympker i83
  • bersybersy Member
    edited January 2017

willie said: Cheapest I know of for 500GB is openvz.io, 3 GBP/month in Dallas, AMS, and London. I haven't tried them but they're an INIZ brand, which is well regarded. OTOH, it's raid-50 storage which is not ideal.

All their storage plans have been out of stock for a month or so.

willie said: For KVM, this looks promising, supposedly limited but still appears orderable: https://www.tragicservers.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1

Can't find anything suitable at that webpage (try to remove your cookie to understand why). This is probably in reference to their 256MB/500GB/2TB limited KVM offer in LA for about $4/m (annual payment).

• bersy said:

All their storage plans have been out of stock for a month or so.

They were in stock when I looked about an hour ago. I do remember them being OOS earlier.

Sorry about Tragic order link. Correct url is https://www.tragicservers.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=190

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bersybersy Member
    edited January 2017

willie said: They were in stock when I looked about an hour ago.

Sorry, but I don't think so. The point is I have been checking these plans a dozen times for a month, including today, with no luck at all. I may be incorrect about this though, @kt (just for the sake of clarification).

willie said: You just missed a terrific ZXHost promo, unfortunately (1 TB Ceph KVM at $48/year). I got one, and wish I got more but am glad I didn't, if you know what I mean ;-).

What do you mean?

• @willie said:
    Cheapest I know of for 500GB is openvz.io, 3 GBP/month in Dallas, AMS, and London. I haven't tried them but they're an INIZ brand, which is well regarded. OTOH, it's raid-50 storage which is not ideal.

Serverhub ( @RoSH ) has $5/month plans in various locations. RoSH, I think this might have come up before, but can you tell us the RAID level? And do any of those coupons still work? ;-)

@i83 also has some NAT-only plans at 37.50 gbp/year, iirc. Don't know the RAID level, suspect RAID-5 (4 drive) in at least some locations. I got two of their 250gb plans on promo and they work well.

For KVM, this looks promising, supposedly limited but still appears orderable: https://www.tragicservers.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1

You just missed a terrific ZXHost promo, unfortunately (1 TB Ceph KVM at $48/year). I got one, and wish I got more but am glad I didn't, if you know what I mean ;-).

Thanks mate :) Will look into this later!

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

bersy said:

Sorry, but I don't think so. The point is I have been checking these plans a dozen times for a month, including today, with no luck at all.

When was the last time you checked? I just checked again a minute ago and this is what I see:

(Edit: misleading inlined bandwidth eating screenshot removed, it's here if you want to see it).

That looks in stock to me. (Edit: woops, my bad).

• @willie said:

bersy said:

Sorry, but I don't think so. The point is I have been checking these plans a dozen times for a month, including today, with no luck at all.

When was the last time you checked? I just checked again a minute ago and this is what I see:

That looks in stock to me.

click on the order button, it then tells its out of stock

• Bah, you're right, sorry. I thought I remembered seeing "out of stock" buttons where the order buttons are, meaning that the appearance of order buttons signalled a restock. No such luck. Oh well.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

deleted