Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flat-file comment/discussion board
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Flat-file comment/discussion board

sleddogsleddog Member
edited August 2011 in Root

As a free-time project I've been working on a threaded, flat-file comment/discussion board. Why? Just for fun :)

It's written in PHP, doesn't require MySQL and performs well on a very low-end box. The demo below is running on a single-core OpenVZ VPS with 96 MB of memory at ServerDragon (along with other websites).

The script is mostly functional now and I'd appreciate testers. Once ready it'll be available under an open-source license.

Please give it a spin at http://linux.dashed.ca/comments-demo/comments.php

Thanks!

Comments

• WOW!

• vampireJvampireJ Member
    edited August 2011

great effort and it is very cool that you are releasing it under an open source license +10

but just wondering- does it have searching capabilities? also does it not get corrupted easily when there are thousands of simultaneous connections?

• No searching capability at the moment but it'll probably be added. The other big feature not complete is email subscription.

Regarding corruption, I wouldn't be too surprised if things fell apart with multiple simultaneous postings. I've been trying to figure a way of simulating that kind of situation....

Thanks for the comments.

• Afaik SQLite3 has file-locking to prevent corruption if simultaneous write-attempts occur.