Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning - avoid espace2001!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Warning - avoid espace2001!

bsdguybsdguy Member
edited January 2017 in Reviews

Triggered by raindog308's thread I once more undertook a journey to find good registrars.

Generally preferring non 5 eyes registrars and requiring whois privacy as a must the field quickly got smaller.
At one of the usual comparison sites I discovered espace2001, a french provider who among other services provides domain registration, being quite often among the cheapest registrars meeting my requirements.

So I tried them - which quickly turned out to be a major mistake.

For a start their panel offers pretty much nothing but private NS entries. That, however, is worthless as they run a checking tool (french only) similar to the denic crap - and then trigger on any warning. Well noted, not on errors but on warnings.

Now it would, of course, be easy to create some temporary SOA just to please their crap-"check" and to then change the SOA back to whatever one pleases, but why the effort? I don't need a provider to make my live harder and to burden me with extra efforts.

That's not they only thing they check, btw.. They "check" bloody everything anally. Except their own work. You as customer, for example, can't get away giving them just the initial of a whois contacts first name (but the full family name), nope, you must enter the full first name - which in my case they then massacred and changed to a completely different first name.

As if that wasn't bad and ridiculously unprofessional enough they also offer basically no support whatsoever. If you are lucky they respond within 12 hours to a ticket but you may also have to wait for days or infinitely. In other words: They care shit about their customers.

Worst experience in a decade and all around shitty. Avoid them like the plague!

Comments

• @bsdguy: Sorry but if I may ask, what exactly kept you away from one of the well-known registrars? You would have saved yourself a lot of frustration if you had just gone to a well-known registrar. Why seek out an obscure French provider for this? What were you hoping for with an obscure French provider? Some imagined sense of security?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Except for one which gets ever more expensive none of the well-known large registrars met my a.m. conditions:

• not in 5 eyes (and certainly not in the us of a)
    • whois privacy (with the provider not in 5 eyes)
    • good prices
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

I think you've got more serious concerns than the govt. when choosing a registrar who hasn't updated their systems in ages.

Pavin.

Thanked by 1rm_