Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slow VPN with Luna Node. Anyone else?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Slow VPN with Luna Node. Anyone else?

I just set up a VPN at Luna Node, doing exactly what this guide says: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-an-openvpn-server-on-ubuntu-16-04

Browsing has been extremely slow. Usually it takes 10-20 seconds for a page to start loading. Since I don't know much about networking and haven't tried another VPS, I have no clue if the problem is on my end. Anyone else having the same problem? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• How far away is the server you are using for VPN? Might just be latency

• It's in the same city I'm in.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

Have you tried contacting [email protected] with your IP address?

Also, what is the output of mtr to your VM? (Run it for sixty seconds or so on your VM's IP address, if you are on Windows you can use WinMTR.)

You might also want to determine if it is DNS issue or general networking issue. For example, after you connect to a website the first time, does it continue to be slow?

And whether it is all websites or just a few. Is even browsing https://lunanode.com slow?

• @heisenburger said:
    It's in the same city I'm in.

Just curious, why do you need a VPN but on the same city? Will that make a different if accessibg content like netflix?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

OpenVPN can be slow by configuration as well.

• @milo I use a VPN in the same city, since I trust the DC/Provider not to track my web usage more then my ISP and workplace.

Thanked by 1milo
  • @bohdans said:
    @milo I use a VPN in the same city, since I trust the DC/Provider not to track my web usage more then my ISP and workplace.

Ah, I see. Good idea :)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited January 2017

@bohdans said:
    @milo I use a VPN in the same city, since I trust the DC/Provider not to track my web usage more then my ISP and workplace.

@milo, it also makes it difficult for your ISP to throttle/limit/control individual services (based on port for example) if all of your traffic is being securely carried via VPN.

For example, if they have a competing streaming service or VOIP offering they might want to introduce delays or inferior QoS to 3rd party services based on ports they commonly use.

Even more interesting in the USA, as "net neutrality" might soon become just a figment of our imagination.

Edit: On topic with OP's post, I haven't noticed any slow VPN issues with LunaNode (Toronto)

Thanked by 2bohdans milo
  • heisenburgerheisenburger Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

@milo I use VPN for the same reasons above.

@perennate I just realized the latency problem would occur only within my virtual OS (running on VMware). Once I tested everything in my "real" OS, there was absolutely no speed issues. No idea why this happens, but it doesn't bother me and I simply stopped using VMware (problem solved :D).