Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about speed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions about speed

ykbaekykbaek Member
edited May 2013 in General

Hi,
I am a noob at this whole VPS options, so please help me out.
I have been using web hosting for the last 3 years for my community forum site and it has grown size
and with my big hosting site, it is slow and i get cpu throttled a lot.

I am planning on moving to the next level of VPS,
but got questions. I am in Canada and when I check some of the VPS sellers here and click on their 100mb test files
some companies are really fast, like 40sec for 100mb but some are slower.
then again I check the ones in Chicago and they are very fast too. but the ones in LA is slower.

My question here is, if the download test speed is fast for me, does it mean its going to be fast for my users too?
most of them are from my area as it is area specific forum. I dont understand how most of the test files from Chicago VPS can
be as fast as the ones from Canada yet others from LA or NY is slow for me.

My only reason for upgrading to VPS is because of the slow speed, I get cpu throttled a lot and its really really slow.
so please let me know if it is okay to choose provider comparing them with the 100mb file download speed.
(obviously other factors about specification but all I really care about is increase in speed! my users started complaining)

Thank you always

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Thing is, let's say you compare two VPS providers.
    Provider A:
    -Fast download speed
    -But CPU is oversold or slow disk IO
    Provider B
    -Slow download speed
    -Underutilized/fast CPU and IO...

Provider B is going to perform better in almost all cases.

• ykbaekykbaek Member

how do I check the CPU and IO before purchase?

edited May 2013

You really can't, unfortunately :(
    But here are two good benchmarks:
    wget www.budgetproviders.com/bpbench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    serverbear.com

• NevilNevil Member

Ask for a 1 day trial VPS or something like that to take a few benchmarks :).

• yomeroyomero Member

Also, maybe the providers have some results published at serverbear.com That may give you an idea of what are you getting.

• ykbaekykbaek Member

I have another question, I am getting bad CPU throttling with my current host (Bluehost) and their pro hosting package, like 30000sec a day. they said its problem with my coding or something like that, but i dont know how to change coding or modify it.

If I change to VPS or Dedicated server, is it likely that I wont get CPU throttles?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@ykbaek said: how do I check the CPU and IO before purchase?

www.serverbear.com

Usually you can find a benchmark on there first

@ykbaek said: If I change to VPS or Dedicated server, is it likely that I wont get CPU throttles?

Depends on who's running it and what that code is. Honestly if you use too much CPU then no host will really allow it.

Thing is, it's Bluehost. EIG company. They will always tell you your site is using too much resources, because that's how they make their money...

• ykbaekykbaek Member

@HalfEatenPie I am really not using anything crazy, its just a simple board program and it was all fine before but suddenly I started getting CPU throttles as my users have increased,, maybe thats why.. so I thought moving up to VPS or dedicated server would be better, but then again I am not sure if it will help.

Do remember that unless you get a VPS with cPanel you will not have any control panel, which might be a problem for you if you are used to doing everything from your browser. If you get a VPS, cPanel is usually approx. $15/month, and usually around $35/month on a dedicated server.

• @ykbaek said: @HalfEatenPie I am really not using anything crazy, its just a simple board program and it was all fine before but suddenly I started getting CPU throttles as my users have increased,, maybe thats why.. so I thought moving up to VPS or dedicated server would be better, but then again I am not sure if it will help.

Yeah but it also depends on how much of the CPU you'll be using. I'm obviously looking at the extremes (especially since having two cores constantly being used up for days at a time is unacceptable). Honestly I'd say pick up a VPS from a host here and try that. Gather some information/data, and then depending on what information you gather from it move it to a dedicated server or an even more powerful VPS.

Oh, and also, ask your host for the specific numbers/information related to your website. That'll also help you figure out if a VPS is a perfect fit or if you need dedicated resources.

I'm failing to see why this user needs a VPS. Surely it's more efficient to get a good shared cPanel web hosting account than use an entire VPS for his site?
    If the site is too big for shared hosting (not counting any of these "unlimited" crap companies), a dedicated server would probably be the next step.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited May 2013

@shovenose said: I'm failing to see why this user needs a VPS. Surely it's more efficient to get a good shared cPanel web hosting account than use an entire VPS for his site?

Most Shared hosting accounts aren't really too focused on mass resource usage (from my experience). I mean sure the user can get a good shared cPanel hosting account but I feel like using a VPS and the user manually optimizing it would result in less resources being used with better results.

@shovenose said: If the site is too big for shared hosting (not counting any of these "unlimited" crap companies), a dedicated server would probably be the next step.

The reason why I said VPS first before a dedicated server is because the original poster has yet to give us solid numbers/resource usage and therefore there's nothing for us to base our recommendations off of except some words. Because VPS is a smaller investment than a dedicated server, and also if the current host doesn't provide the resource usage numbers, we can gather the data from the VPS and then determine if a dedicated server is a better fit or not.

I personally would rather make a smaller 7 dollar investment on making sure I know what was going on before making a more expensive investment.

True...
    a VPS is definitely the way to go for more control, so he can tune his setup. But, we don't know what his level of knowledge is regarding tuning it, so a normal shared hosting account would be better.
    But if he's willing to learn how to manage his server a VPS is always a better choice.