Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of dumb storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lots of dumb storage

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited January 2017 in Requests

Hello, friends, deviants, idiots,

I would like some storage, and a lot of it, but I don't need a lot else to go with it, which is at odds for the majority of plans I've viewed.

This is storage that I simply want to make available to other servers running the likes of Plex and Emby, so requires minimal RAM and CPU. I will need B/W equal to twice the amount of the storage for month 1, but beyond that typically I'll only need it equal to half of the amount of the storage. I would prefer KVM virtualisation over OpenVZ. Storage does not need to be resilient in any way, shape or form, and does not need particularly fast. I do not need a dedicated IPv4 address, shared would be fine.

I would like 2TB as a minimum.

In terms of pricing, if we were talking about 2TB my current option would be a Kimsufi KS-2E at £11.45/month (plus setup fee), so needs to be in that ballpark or less. I would not be looking to commit for any longer than 3 months at a time.

Location needs to be EU.

Offers/suggestions welcome.

Comments

• edited January 2017

You probably already know about Time4VPS, but if you go that route, remember the pricing changes on Feb 1st.

nice tags tho.

• i83i83 Member
    edited January 2017

Do you need a dedicated IPv4? Hetzner storage boxes are slightly cheaper than Kimsufi last I checked - worth a look?

• As a small aside, I'd also be interested to know of anyone's experience in mouting their HubiC account via HubicFuse, particularly in terms of performance of video streaming.

• i83 said: Do you need a dedicated IPv4?

No, wouldn't be necessary.

• Dextronox said: You probably already know about Time4VPS, but if you go that route, remember the pricing changes on Feb 1st.

Time4VPS storage plans are OVZ, which precludes them from selection unfortunately.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Nekki said: Time4VPS storage plans are OVZ, which precludes them from selection unfortunately.

Could you please specify the reason for this?

• @Nekki said:

Dextronox said: You probably already know about Time4VPS, but if you go that route, remember the pricing changes on Feb 1st.

Time4VPS storage plans are OVZ, which precludes them from selection unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, why not use OVZ?

• time4vps said:

I like KVM.

Dextronox said: Just out of curiosity, why not use OVZ?

See above.

• @Nekki said:

time4vps said:

I like KVM.

Dextronox said: Just out of curiosity, why not use OVZ?

See above.

Fair enough.

• Dextronox said: Fair enough.

OVZ has a place in my heart for certain uses, but private file storage isn't one of them.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2017

Just get one of these ARM things from SYS. Only 12EUR for 2TB with 250mbps instead of 100mbps, also no setup fee currently. The CPU is sorta shit, but if all you want is samba or sshfs it will be fine.

https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/server-storage/

• @Nekki said:
    interested to know of anyone's experience in mouting their HubiC account via HubicFuse, particularly in terms of performance of video streaming.

HubicFuse works reliably again for me, for system backups (mirroring via rsync/encfs from several locations), but for streaming forget it. OVH now implement a hard aggregated 10Mbs limit for the account up and down, and as HubicFuse has to download the entire file before it becomes available in the fuse mountpoint it's a non starter for real time access.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Setsura said: Just get one of these ARM things from SYS. Only 12EUR for 2TB with 250mbps instead of 100mbps, also no setup fee currently. The CPU is sorta shit, but if all you want is samba or sshfs it will be fine.

Not a bad last resort so thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to get something very minimal for less than the KS-2E, rather than get something slightly better for more or less the same price.

• cochon said: HubicFuse works reliably again for me, for system backups (mirroring via rsync/encfs from several locations), but for streaming forget it. OVH now implement a hard aggregated 10Mbs limit for the account up and down, and as HubicFuse has to download the entire file before it becomes available in the fuse mountpoint it's a non starter for real time access.

Good feedback, thanks. Obviously the 10TB/€5 pricepoint is highly attractive, but clearly it's completely unsuitable for streaming.

• Have a check with Jon from NorthHosts on here. He might be able to pop a larger drive in to a server up in their Wigan DC for you.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Nekki said:

Setsura said: Just get one of these ARM things from SYS. Only 12EUR for 2TB with 250mbps instead of 100mbps, also no setup fee currently. The CPU is sorta shit, but if all you want is samba or sshfs it will be fine.

Not a bad last resort so thanks for the suggestion, but I was hoping to get something very minimal for less than the KS-2E, rather than get something slightly better for more or less the same price.

Just be aware that if you need some sort of encryption (network/disk), these boxes will crawl due to the CPU.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

I am dumb and can offer a lot of storage, if you know, what I mean (nicknack). But I guess you are looking for something more cheap and I am classy. So - sorry...

• VortexMagnus said: Have a check with Jon from NorthHosts on here. He might be able to pop a larger drive in to a server up in their Wigan DC for you.

Probably going to be more expensive than a KS-2E but I may investigate the possibility if no other decent options present themselves.

• @Nekki said:

VortexMagnus said: Have a check with Jon from NorthHosts on here. He might be able to pop a larger drive in to a server up in their Wigan DC for you.

Probably going to be more expensive than a KS-2E but I may investigate the possibility if no other decent options present themselves.

He has some odds and sods servers hanging around and if one has a 2TB drive in.. you'll probably get a good price on it in budget from what I've seen of him :)

Obviously I'd love to sell you something, but we just don't have it in budget.

• Why not ACD with encryption?

• Hadriel said: Why not ACD with encryption?

No idea what you're talking about.

• Amazon Clouddrive, 70€ for one year unlimited storage,

• xrzxrz Member
    edited January 2017

ACD = amazon cloud drive, i personally storing there ~900TB encrypted stuff for 60€/year only, no problem no complain ;) but you cant too much download or stream from ACD or they terminate account, upload is fine for them, you can also mount it as remote folder, do what you like ...

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2017

@Nekki said:
    As a small aside, I'd also be interested to know of anyone's experience in mouting their HubiC account via HubicFuse, particularly in terms of performance of video streaming.

It's pretty slow, I wouldn't do it if I were you

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited January 2017

@xrz said:
    ACD = amazon cloud drive, i personally storing there ~900TB encrypted stuff for 60€/year only, no problem no complain ;) but you cant too much download or stream from ACD or they terminate account, upload is fine for them, you can also mount it as remote folder, do what you like ...

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/251975/hosted-plex-amazon-cloud-drive-dvr-vpn-works would be an additional recent testimonial. I don't track how much I pull down from ACD, so I would have to rely on other folks telling you how much they stream back from ACD. But I have been using it for ~5 months with 100TB loaded in.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2014038/#Comment_2014038

• Nekki said: Hello, friends, deviants, idiots

Why no cunts at this time?? ;)

Thanked by 1david_W
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2017

Are you looking to store media (video) files as you do require a good streaming performance? If so just go with a dedi and full disk encryption rather than encrypted cloud service (even though a lot of them do offer in browser streaming). All performance is yours :)

@time4vps I guess op wants full disk encryption hence OVZ is not convenient at this point.

• How about two of these (can be combined into a single VPS on request):

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/103485/let-storage-48-hour-offer/

Only mismatch with your requirements is the yearly billing, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @xrz said:
    ACD = amazon cloud drive, ... but you cant too much download or stream from ACD or they terminate account

Do you have a reference for saying that? I was considering ACD as an alternative to Hubic, but have been wary of the vague terms. It would be pretty useless as a backup if you risked termination restoring the contents of a failed HDD.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited January 2017

@cochon i mean if you want to stream from acd for a lot of friends with different ips at the same time they found it easy and terminate account, for backups and single ips its oke ;)

Thanked by 1cochon