Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody here using Softether on their VPS server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody here using Softether on their VPS server?

Anybody here using Softether.org on their VPS server?

It works somehow similar to OpenVPS and doesn't require a special client, the standard Android client can do.

What would be the RAM requirement on such a server?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I've had clients who have ran SoftEther, while I don't know the actual software requirements I can say everyone who used it that I know of ran on 512MB RAM (which is my smallest). Private and public ones.

• you can run it very easily on 128mb

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Sounds good. Has anybody tested if it can be used as China VPN?
    I use OpenVPN now, which mostly works, but as the future in China is rather bleak....

• Indeed, I had it running fine on a 128MB LES

• sharknodsharknod Member
    edited January 2017

@dergelbe said:
    Sounds good. Has anybody tested if it can be used as China VPN?
    I use OpenVPN now, which mostly works, but as the future in China is rather bleak....

The mainstrem VPN protocols now work in China are AnyConnect and IKEV2, so don't bother to try other things.

Or if you can accept, https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks/tree/master

You may have a look at this one, though it's not a VPN.

Ok, here is something called ShadowVPN, but the contributors haven't updated it for a long time and it still works.https://github.com/langlichuan123/ShadowVPN check here.

Sorry for my bad English, I am not a native speaker.

• from sofether wiki, can't tell how up to date this is, but matches my experiences:

Hardware Requirements for SoftEther VPN Server

Free RAM

Minimum: 32Mbytes + 0.5Mbytes * (Number of Concurrent VPN Sessions)

Recommended: 128Mbytes + 0.5 Mbytes * (Number of Concurrent VPN Sessions)

Free Disk Space

Minimum: 100Mbytes

Recommended: 2Gbytes (for daily VPN connection logs)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I tested SoftEther once on an ArubaCloud 1GB UK VPS. CPU and RAM usage were low. But you need to configure the log verbosity. Else SE just dumps almost everything into the log files. However, I got much lower speeds than OpenVPN on the same VPS.

• We have been using it on a digital ocean $5 droplet for about a year now, great bit of software, easy to configure and we get good throughput with multiple people connected with hardly any CPU usage

• WSSWSS Member

No, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express..

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited January 2017

afaik softether doesn't work with china GFW. that was roughly 2 years ago. Listen to what Sharknod suggest.

128mb is fine if you use local bridge.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Me, above >64mb on routers, work great

• @sharknod said:
    The mainstrem VPN protocols now work in China are AnyConnect and IKEV2, so don't bother to try other things.

I currently use very standard PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN on mobile data and it works most of the time, at least one of them. I will do some testing with TOR and Psiphon next time when I'm in Neverland. I like to add I don't want to make it too complicated.

@sharknod said:
    Sorry for my bad English, I am not a native speaker.

没关系 ;-)

@saibal said:
    I tested SoftEther once on an ArubaCloud 1GB ....I got much lower speeds than OpenVPN on the same VPS.

Could that be because of the generally very slow connection to the free world? Softether advertises that's it's supposed to be faster than OpenVPN. If I would setup a VPS server for China use I would probably look for one in HK, KR, TW or so. Or even EC2 or Azure.

• dergelbe said: Could that be because of the generally very slow connection to the free world? Softether advertises that's it's supposed to be faster than OpenVPN. If I would setup a VPS server for China use I would probably look for one in HK, KR, TW or so. Or even EC2 or Azure.

This was between the UK and the US West Coast. And yes, with OpenVPN I could max out my home internet.

• @dergelbe

That's cool bro, but I can't get personal *TP, OVPN and Softether connected here.

Now I mainly use AnyConnect and shadowsocks, and that is quite enough.

If you insist to use a VPN I'll suggest anyconnect.

Anyway some one-key installation scripts available on github for ocserv.

But you will need BBR, of course ;-)

• Unless you run the NAT mode of Softether, you'll be fine. Install dnsmasq as dhcp and forwarding/caching dns server and you'll be good to go.

• I had softether installed on a HK server and it has worked fine all over China-- last time in JUNE of 2016. As someone mentioned shadowsocks also works well so do give it a try, it worked for me.
    And betternet free vpn available for Android also works but it tends to drop quite often.

I found it depends on where one is in China as to how effective the GFW of China is. From Xian I could check some news sites but not gmail. Then later, for some unexplained reason, my mail came down from gmail.

Softether
    shadowsocks
    betternet

-- get these three up and running and you'll be fine. My friend who lives in Shanghai pays 60/year for a VPN service as he says it works all the time. You might want to ask around if you'll be staying there for a while. I forgot the name of the company he uses but I think there are many that cater to expats in China.

• @saibal said:
    I tested SoftEther once on an ArubaCloud 1GB UK VPS. CPU and RAM usage were low. But you need to configure the log verbosity. Else SE just dumps almost everything into the log files. However, I got much lower speeds than OpenVPN on the same VPS.

That's my experience of SE also, the SE windows client is supposed to be able to adapt to MTU.etc but when I tried it it behaved much like there was some kind of MTU issue.

• @dragon2611 said:

@saibal said:
    I tested SoftEther once on an ArubaCloud 1GB UK VPS. CPU and RAM usage were low. But you need to configure the log verbosity. Else SE just dumps almost everything into the log files. However, I got much lower speeds than OpenVPN on the same VPS.

That's my experience of SE also, the SE windows client is supposed to be able to adapt to MTU.etc but when I tried it it behaved much like there was some kind of MTU issue.

Set up local bridge on server and also l2tp/ipsec which is supported nativly by windows without any additional client. Always worked for me...

• IPSEC isn't always reliable on public Wi-FI depending on how they NAT/Proxy the connections. I tend to use SSL based VPN's as it's more likely to work.

• Can I setup Softether and Shadowsocks on the same VPS? Same IP I mean? Or will they clash?

Considering the generally poor bandwidth out of China I would also opt for a Hong Kong VPS. Or can just put a DD-WRT router behind a fast fiber modem?

• I went back to China a year ago and I used my softether VPN in Canada, worked perfectly fine. Also I run my VPN on 256 MB of RAM

Thanked by 1netomx
  • dergelbe said: Can I setup Softether and Shadowsocks on the same VPS? Same IP I mean? Or will they clash?

Considering the generally poor bandwidth out of China I would also opt for a Hong Kong VPS. Or can just put a DD-WRT router behind a fast fiber modem?

yes it will work. had it before. Just make sure your port is not in use.

• Anybody can confirm if this still works in China? Or can anybody recommend me a VPN that I can use while in China to access Facebook and Google? Thanks!