Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudShards Closure Notice
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudShards Closure Notice

AsimAsim Member
edited January 2017 in Outages

Just received the following from cloudshards.com, I hope @concerto49 will at least let us take backups

Hi ,

You are receiving this letter because you have one or more services hosted in one of our datacenters.

The purpose of this letter is to notify you that Query Foundry Pty Ltd will be ceasing its operations on 31st January, 2017.

Unfortunately, rapidly declining revenue and market share in recent months have made it all but impossible to uphold our obligations to creditors and suppliers. The recent outages ended up being the final nail in the coffin.

We have been left with no choice but to declare bankruptcy and proceed to liquidation.

This means that all customer services with critical data in them that are hosted in our systems need to be migrated away by the 31st at the latest.

While we will make reasonable efforts to keep our systems online past this for the sake of migration, please note that we are unable to make any guarantees.

If you are a normal dedicated hosting / virtual server hosting customer with services in the United States, we have been in talks with InnoScale for taking on your services on a referral, case-by-case basis. InnoScale will honor your currently paid periods and strive to keep pricing same if approved, and you will be provisioned a new system at one of their datacenters.

They are a provider with over 15 years of experience in the hosting and datacenter management industry. We trust that we're referring you to good people. You can find out more about them at their site: https://www.innoscale.net/

Should you be interested in availing this offer, please email [email protected] with a description of your service (specifications) and a copy of your latest invoice payment. Your details will be automatically forwarded.

If you are a managed app hosting or colocation customer, you will be contacted separately to facilitate the retrieval of your data / equipment.

The founders would like to thank you for your continued patronage over the years, please accept our apologies.

We wish you all the best for your continued success.

-- The Query Foundry Team

Cloud Shards - http://www.cloudshards.com
Support Email - [email protected]
Sales Email - [email protected]
Billing Email - [email protected]
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/cloud.shards
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/cloudshards

Comments

• akbakb Member
    edited January 2017

Hi ,

You are receiving this letter because you have one or more services hosted in one of our datacenters.

The purpose of this letter is to notify you that Query Foundry Pty Ltd will be ceasing its operations on 31st January, 2017.

Unfortunately, rapidly declining revenue and market share in recent months have made it all but impossible to uphold our obligations to creditors and suppliers. The recent outages ended up being the final nail in the coffin.

We have been left with no choice but to declare bankruptcy and proceed to liquidation.
    This means that all customer services with critical data in them that are hosted in our systems need to be migrated away by the 31st at the latest.

While we will make reasonable efforts to keep our systems online past this for the sake of migration, please note that we are unable to make any guarantees.

If you are a normal dedicated hosting / virtual server hosting customer with services in the United States, we have been in talks with InnoScale for taking on your services on a referral, case-by-case basis. InnoScale will honor your currently paid periods and strive to keep pricing same if approved, and you will be provisioned a new system at one of their datacenters.

They are a provider with over 15 years of experience in the hosting and datacenter management industry. We trust that we're referring you to good people. You can find out more about them at their site: https:// www . innoscale . net /
    Should you be interested in availing this offer, please email [email protected] with a description of your service (specifications) and a copy of your latest invoice payment. Your details will be automatically forwarded.

If you are a managed app hosting or colocation customer, you will be contacted separately to facilitate the retrieval of your data / equipment.
    The founders would like to thank you for your continued patronage over the years, please accept our apologies.

@TheLinuxBug saw it coming https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2026809/#Comment_2026809

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Just had this message through.. Could this explain the recent downtime?

Hi ,

They are a provider with over 15 years of experience in the hosting and datacenter management industry. We trust that we're referring you to good people. You can find out more about them at their site: https://www.innoscale.net/

Cloud Shards - http://www.cloudshards.com
    Support Email - [email protected]
    Sales Email - [email protected]
    Billing Email - [email protected]
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/cloud.shards
    Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/cloudshards
  • Sad to see a once decent provider go to the wall, Harry was a nice guy.

Thanked by 2Hxxx BeardyUnixGuy
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Wow, I guess I was wrong about it "certainly" just being an unfortunate hardware failure.

• Seems cloudshards was a good provider already 3 threads created.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No offence (really) Mike, maybe you just do not realize the odd's (that's fine we all have different levels of knowledge), but the odd's of what was in the RFO actually happening are actually less likely than me actually being the queen of England and having 3 legs.

Thanks for 2 and a half years of good service @concerto49 the writing was really on the wall the past 6 months though.

Everyone has a chance to take backups, every day :)

• AnthonySmith said: Everyone has a chance to take backups, every day :)

True but 24hr backups were running when the server went offline so I have backups from 48 hours ago

Asim said: True but 24hr backups were running when the server went offline so I have backups from 48 hours ago

They should still be online, not stopping until the 31st?

Already down?

• Boy, I bet @AnthonySmith is happy he migrated LES.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • AsimAsim Member
    edited January 2017

AnthonySmith said: They should still be online, not stopping until the 31st?

Already down?

Yes, already down since 14 hours and counting ...

Asim said: Yes, already down since 14 hours and counting ...

So that was a lie then... damn, if he sent out another bullshit communication then any sympathy I had is gone.

• Is vpsdime apart of the cloudshards brand?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2017

@black said:
    Is vpsdime apart of the cloudshards brand?

No, that's one of Oktay's brands.

• akbakb Member

There were scattered warning signs on this forum. Hope their systems remain online for the rest of the month for people to migrate their data.

• Isn't Dediserve with them in SYD? lets wait for an email from them I guess then..

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Three threads merged. I picked the one with the title I liked the most.

@Dextronox said:
    Boy, I bet @AnthonySmith is happy he migrated LES.

Yep, this is why I worked 27 hours straight to get everything sorted, I feel for anyone that is impacted, this happened to me In Florida with ServerAxis so I recognized the signs all too well and did not hang around hoping for the best this time.

• WHTWHT Member

Really sad to hear about. It was really cheap for Australia.

• @black said:

It is owned by Oktay (owner of Backupsy & Winity) AFAIK

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Shoaib_A said:

@black said:

Didn't he use them for Texas or is that at Incero?

Francisco

Asim said: Yes, already down since 14 hours and counting

Maybe the same upstream that cut them off for the last unpaid bill caught wind of the closure and decided not to let them build any further debt.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    No offence (really) Mike, maybe you just do not realize the odd's (that's fine we all have different levels of knowledge), but the odd's of what was in the RFO actually happening are actually less likely than me actually being the queen of England and having 3 legs.

Thanks for 2 and a half years of good service @concerto49 the writing was really on the wall the past 6 months though.

Everyone has a chance to take backups, every day :)

Yeah, I understand, it was mostly just the fact that CloudShards was an older company and (mostly) highly regarded. Plus they had a fair amount of assets. I couldn't see them lying about something like that unless they were asking for something bad. That goes back to my point, if they are as great as they were, why lie about something you say is literally impossible?

Edit: To clear any anger you have towards me for some reason, no, I don't have my own network, I don't have my own switches. I've had access to them and assets worth $$$$ once upon a time, but I just wasn't the one setting most of it up. Do I have experience in a datacenter? Yeah, definitely.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited January 2017

@Francisco said:

@Shoaib_A said:

@black said:

Didn't he use them for Texas or is that at Incero?

Francisco

I think Incero as Oktay has not only given them a positive review on WHT in the past but has also spoken highly of them on a few occasions but still don't take my word on it.

edited January 2017

MikeA said: Edit: To clear any anger you have towards me for some reason, no, I don't have my own network, I don't have my own switches. I've had access to them and assets worth $$$$ once upon a time, but I just wasn't the one setting most of it up. Do I have experience in a datacenter? Yeah, definitely.

Sorry, no anger at all, zero, just to be clear :), I meant to offence or antagonism at all, I did not know how to put it any other way which is my own failing.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

@Dextronox said:
    Boy, I bet @AnthonySmith is happy he migrated LES.

Yep, this is why I worked 27 hours straight to get everything sorted, I feel for anyone that is impacted, this happened to me In Florida with ServerAxis so I recognized the signs all too well and did not hang around hoping for the best this time.

It's a really great feeling when shit hits the fan and you can shrug it off because you've already done the work. Rare moments, but I cherish them.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Francisco said: Didn't he use them for Texas or is that at Incero?

Francisco

It's with Incero.

Anyway, genuinely sad to see them go.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Thanks for the ride (2.5y)
    My VPS is still up. Taking a backup now.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Sad to see them go. They had their troubles but they were a solid business.

For any current customers wondering, the status of the company has not changed, which is odd as I was under the impression it was the external administrators job to notify creditors of bankruptcy. (not a lawyer fyi)

Also anyone who is owed money by Query Foundry Pty Ltd once they enter external administration is an Unsecured Creditor. You can find information on this at http://www.asic.gov.au/for-consumers/insolvency-your-rights/

• PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
    edited January 2017

Sad, but it's the cycle I guess. A lot of the providers around here are too cheap to be sustainable. I wish more hosts would accept Bitcoin to cut down on the transaction fees which are just too much when you're only charging $1 per month.

The lesson here for the consumers is always use a provisioning tool like Ansible/Docker/etc and keep regular backups off site. Write a script to automate the migration.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited January 2017

I checked, and my 'cancelled' Dallas server is still online, odd.

For those in Australia where the choices are slim in the LET price bracket there is always RansomIT, https://www.ransomit.com.au/ @oliver if your looking for a new home.

For Dallas I believe Dr.Server @Radi can probably accommodate almost everyone.

No idea about prices though.

Thanked by 1Asim