Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with domain name ownership
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with domain name ownership

Hi All,
I have a issue, and maybe someone here might know a bit more than me?
I have a friend, lets say 'John Smith' who is making making some youtube clips. Its been doing well. Now they have found out someone has purchased johnsmith.com and is asking for money and pretending to be him.
The only recourse I can see is through ICANN/UDRP, but I do not think he will want to pay the $1,500 fee.
Is there anything else that can be done to get the site taken down?

Comments

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited January 2017

Ask the user that registered personally.
    And offer him a good price.

Or losing 1.5k or losing some little more than normal price.

• @bohdans Having your "friend" compile detailed information about the fraudulent business activity being conducted on the domain and then filing an abuse complaint with the domain registrar might be a place to start. Of course, that's assuming he can prove that whoever owns the domain is intentionally committing some kind of illegal activity. https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/abuse-2014-01-29-en

• busbrbusbr Member
    edited January 2017

if the name is really as generic as John Smith, just because one John Smith is making reputable YouTube videos doesn't mean he owns the right to the name.

edit: sorry, didn't read the "pretending to be him" part. Then you might have a case.

• Thanks all, the name is very unique, This domain was only registered in Sep-2016 after the youtubes clip got popular.

• He could create a new Youtube account and move the videos into it and then register a matching domain.

• JamesKJamesK Member
    edited January 2017

Sorry for inconvenience. Recently, I have wrongly posted a reply of other question here.