Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon EC2 / Linode alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon EC2 / Linode alternatives?

Is there a (cheaper) alternative to Amazon EC2 / Linode which satisfies these conditions:

1) VMs can be created / deleted / cloned / stopped / started through an API
2) Docker is supported in the VM (rules out OVZ based services)
3) x86 architecture

Currently I am using dedis which I manage (cheapest solution). I am trying to figure out the cost of a contingency plan (i.e. if managing becomes too demanding). The only feasible option I have found is Scaleway (3 euros/month for 2GB KVM). I want to know what (if) other options are available.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@nik is working on something..

• As you said, you got scaleway, but personaly I prefer US located VPS, since my visitors are from US.
    If to you it doesnt matter go with scaleway (online.net).

Otherwise I recommend you either DigitalOcean or Vultr.
    Personality I like more Vultr because :

• Processors are faster than DigitalOcean
    • Can get a 50$ for free (https://www.vultr.com/freetrial/)
    • More RAM for the same price
    • Free 50GB Block Storage (Addon)
    • The next 100$ you load will be doubled. Load 5$ get 10$

If you decide to go with vultr here are a few coupons ( I did not test these ):

DOMORE

SSDVPS

OWNCLOUD

• @vovler said:
    As you said, you got scaleway, but personaly I prefer US located VPS, since my visitors are from US.

DOMORE

SSDVPS

OWNCLOUD

Thank you. Vultr is actually more expensive than Linode, even more expensive than EC2 actually (for 2GB instance). I see OVH also has an API for their Cloud KVM so that would be another one to consider.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited January 2017

@elwebmaster said:

@vovler said:
    As you said, you got scaleway, but personaly I prefer US located VPS, since my visitors are from US.

DOMORE

SSDVPS

OWNCLOUD

Thank you. Vultr is actually more expensive than Linode, even more expensive than EC2 actually (for 2GB instance). I see OVH also has an API for their Cloud KVM so that would be another one to consider.

You cant go wrong with OVH, but since the Public Cloud starts at 28$ p/month I didnt mention them

Dont forget, OVH princing for p/hour is the DOUBLE. so 28$ x 2 = 56$.

(If you need 30 uninterrupted days it's 50% cheaper to pay monthly)

• @vovler said:

@elwebmaster said:

@vovler said:

DOMORE

SSDVPS

OWNCLOUD

You cant go wrong with OVH, but since the Public Cloud starts at 28$ p/month I didnt mention them

Dont forget, OVH princing for p/hour is the DOUBLE. so 28$ x 2 = 56$.

(If you need 30 uninterrupted days it's 50% cheaper to pay monthly)

Yes, you are right, I was mislead by the Cloud VPS SSD pricing which doesn't support any of the flexibility features I was looking for.

There is also iwStack, I just remembered about them. Very flexible offers as well.

• OVH VPS-SSD plans were available hourly through their cloud service. I don't see them on the splash pages now, but they might still be there on the order pages.

• Google is cheap with their preemptible instances if your computing tasks only run for a few hours. Free inbound, expensive outbound.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Azure does Linux VMs - really any kind of VM. More or less same prices as Amazon but if you're already in that ballpark, worth a look. I think they have a Docker PaaS thing to but I haven't looked.

Otherwise I think all the AWSes and near-AWSes have been mentioned: AWS, Azure, Google (the big 3), DO/Vultr/Linode (the next tier). OVH somewhere in there. There are other PaaSy players: Heroku, OpenShift...there are probably 10,000 more. One of those might be Docker friendly.

And of course there's lots of KVM hosts out there...check the offers...

• @raindog308 said:
    And of course there's lots of KVM hosts out there...check the offers...

You failed to say check the offers section.. WHT style

• iwStack is very affordable. Scaleway is cheap if you don't mind the slow Atoms. Quadranet is not bad if you need to be in the US. Don't forget Lunanode; excellent service, they know what they're doing.

And if your software stack can handle it, AWS spot instances or Google pre-emptible as mentioned above are options to consider.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • mnx.io has hourly billing but I don't see anything about an api on its site. Maybe it's deeper in some docs that you have to login to see. I like them because their storage instances are cheap for that type of service.

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited January 2017

Hi @elwebmaster
    Checkout our solution https://www.domflow.it/cloud.php

We have all feature mentioned, plus:

• full container scripting
    • app vm management
    • 10gbps free ddos protection
    • free dns anycast
    • avaiable cdn
    • full api support (onapp)
    • 3 locations

If your interested into free trial please contact me.

Regards

Thanked by 1yomero
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    mnx.io has hourly billing but I don't see anything about an api on its site. Maybe it's deeper in some docs that you have to login to see. I like them because their storage instances are cheap for that type of service.

They're pretty damn ornate, but not sure what they have public. I love their service, but beyond provisioning, you're basically on your own.

• AdrianFAdrianF Member
    edited January 2017

Isn't Scaleway using network storage? I seem to remember very slow random IO performance when testing.

If you need fast local SSD, try Lunanode. Of the LET providers we've tried, their platform is the one most comparable to the majors. Superior even, if you consider their HA and ISO functionality. We've had a fairly substantial deployment in Toronto and a smaller one in Roubaix for the last month and we're happy so far.

Reasons over DO: around 55% better performance than DO's 1.8ghz hosts, cheaper.

Reasons over Vultr: faster deployment times, servers that don't get randomly hard-rebooted every other week (hopefully), unlimited snapshots billed per Gb, cheaper.

• Scaleway uses network SSD except for their biggest server which also has local SSD. Random disk access is supposed to be 1000 or maybe 2000 iops per 50gb slice, not great but it's nowhere near as slow as a hard disk. They don't pretend to be fast boxes, though the aggregate throughput of 8 atom cores should beat any single VPS core if your problem parallelizes.

Several people have recommended Lunanode and I've kept them in mind, though I'd prefer US locations They're also mostly in OVH, which has good VPS offers of its own.

• AdrianFAdrianF Member
    edited January 2017

willie said: Several people have recommended Lunanode and I've kept them in mind, though I'd prefer US locations They're also mostly in OVH, which has good VPS offers of its own.

I believe most of their nodes are in Toronto, on their own hardware. I find the SSD allocations just a bit too stingy at OVH, and their snapshot pricing is excessive (more than the server itself). Although to be fair, if you don't care about storage or snapshots, OVH's lowest tier offer is incredible.

• I didn't notice the SSD allocations being different across locations on their pricing page: is there more info?

I have the OVH storage situation under control. A 250GB NAT plan from @i83 at BHS sshfs mounts nicely to my low end OVH vps (1/2 price black friday sale too). Main annoyance is the vps port is capped at 100 mbps so that's the transfer speed to the storage plan. But it's fine for most things. System and active stuff is in the ssd, other stuff on the storage vps.

OVH also has disk space add-ons available, oddly cheaper when you buy the vps-ssd as a public cloud product rather than a VPS. It's Ceph triple replicated and of course more expensive than LET storage, but not at all outrageous for what it is. It beats EBS rather soundly.

Thanked by 1i83
  • bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited January 2017

LunaNode is worth a shot.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • leaseweb has API and their VPS's in my exp are solid so that's an option

https://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/ Can do the same they have OpenStack-compatible API

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

simonindia said: leaseweb has API and their VPS's in my exp are solid so that's an option

Yup, Leaseweb is my go-to provider for stable VPSes. I haven't used their API but I do boot into their iPXE and install freebsd that way.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • simonindia said: leaseweb has API and their VPS's in my exp are solid so that's an option

Had great experience with their NL network, Is their network in USA really good? To asia & south america too?

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @datanoise said:

simonindia said: leaseweb has API and their VPS's in my exp are solid so that's an option

Had great experience with their NL network, Is their network in USA really good? To asia & south america too?

AFAIK they have a decent network

Thanked by 1datanoise