Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipv6 only VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipv6 only VPS

Is there a market for this?

I'm currently playing with the idea even have a few friends testing this idea for me and they seem to enjoy having an ipv6 only windows VPS, although one person asked for nat without any ports simply for the ipv4.

Anyway, are there any end users here that would use such a service.

Comments

• bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited January 2017

It's usable if it's with at least some IPv4 connectivity in the form of NAT. Only 12.87% of the world has IPv6 at this time[1], so I'd doubt that it'd be a successful product.

Sources:
    [1]: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

• Its definitely limited, but for me, personally, I would be interested in some cheaper ipv6 only vps's. Some minor ipv4 connectivity would also be preferred though.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    Its definitely limited, but for me, personally, I would be interested in some cheaper ipv6 only vps's. Some minor ipv4 connectivity would also be preferred though.

Routing some ports to the VM doesn't actually bring in any new expenses for the host. The node most likely has an IPv4 assigned anyway.

• If it's just for serving a website, then, it can be used combined with free cloudflare's translation service (access a domain from any network, including ipv4 only, hosted to an ipv6 only server). A lot of people are doing it in cheap NAT servers for serving plain port 80

• @WSS said:
    Exists in Germany. https://www.cinfu.com/ipv6-vps/

I know that some companies already have this however that one i cant see kvm based.

• WSSWSS Member

@piohost said:

@WSS said:

I know that some companies already have this however that one i cant see kvm based.

I can't see that working, depending on the PXE implementation you make available. Even getting IPv4 functional on gPXE is a horror at times, forbid you not able to chain through to a recent iPXE. This would likely negate most semi-trivial network installations, so unless you really like loading ISOs for folks for a not-a-moneymaker..

• @WSS said:

@piohost said:

@WSS said:

I can't see that working, depending on the PXE implementation you make available. Even getting IPv4 functional on gPXE is a horror at times, forbid you not able to chain through to a recent iPXE. This would likely negate most semi-trivial network installations, so unless you really like loading ISOs for folks for a not-a-moneymaker..

I have this all set up and ready, windows template is already made, its not auto made and will have to be cloned by hand etc but it works well so far, would you be interested in testing/benching one for me, I don't mind you putting it through its paces

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have been doing IPv6 + NAT IPv4 OpenVZ and KVM for about 2 years now, its fairly popular, but I don't run it with any real SLA and sell it very cheap.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • NAT ipv4 works great, and for lots of purposes incoming ipv4 is not needed at all. But outgoing ipv4 is still important a lot of the time, so pure-ipv6 may be limited.

• @AnthonySmith My prices for VPS are low already and that's simply my ipv4 cost is very little however ipv6 with nat ipv4 seems like a cool idea, have you noticed any thing that could be potentially a bad thing while doing this?

@willie yes i found that out my self while using one of the VM's testing it and i was unable to access a lot of stuff, even trying to update certain linux distros was limited.

• jtkjtk Member

Not sure there is a big market for IPv6 only. Some providers do offer IPv6 systems with IPv4 as an add on:

If you intend to provide no IPv4, not even with NAT, I think your market will be quite limited, but not necessary empty. It might be novel to give away some v6-only services (e.g. DNS, SMTP) and upsale v4 capability as an add-on.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

bugrakoc said: It's usable if it's with at least some IPv4 connectivity in the form of NAT.

I wouldn't say so. I have quite a few IPv6-only boxes running for backend stuff which do a great job. @briehost and @yoctobox offer IPv6-only OpenVZ for quite some time.

Thanked by 1yoctobox
  • See we already offer IPv6 with all our VPS, obviously, the is with IPv4 as well, I my self-have finally taken the plunge and gone IPv6 even if my provider is dragging their feet (thank god for tunnel) and I have to say I find it fine even when removing the IPv4 nat but of course i implemented the IPv4 nat after someone mentioned they needed it, its no problem to add and makes no extra work for me.

think i will run some testing phase for a while and see what the response is.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • If you give it a /64 ipv6 subnet and include ipv6 connectivity by nat or nat64, there is a market.
    If you charge per ipv6 people won't take your business seriously, go read some ietf RFC documents.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Is a Vps with only ipv6 a lot cheaper?

• In theory, ipv4 costs money for the new Players.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

piohost said: have you noticed any thing that could be potentially a bad thing while doing this?

Just be ready for at least 10% of people to look at the price tag only and ignore everything else, then kick off and blame you for every problem in their life because they don't know how to use the VPS they bought, that is at least the ones with anger issues, the others just charge back first and answer questions later :)

Then there is the impact that people start thinking you only offer NAT services with IPv6 and nothing else.

• @bugrakoc said:
    It's usable if it's with at least some IPv4 connectivity in the form of NAT. Only 12.87% of the world has IPv6 at this time[1], so I'd doubt that it'd be a successful product.

Being able to eliminate 85+% of the attacks on my backend services would make for a successful product in my book (it's actually more like 99%, based on actual traffic to my dual stack machine). More to the point, IPv4 is a legacy technology, so trying to argue that nobody should be embracing IPv6 is like arguing in 2007 that nobody should develop only for this new-fangled iPhone because Windows has such a large market share. Read the room; the future is IPv6.

I hope to migrate over the next couple years into a setup where all my infrastructure tech is exclusively IPv6. All I'm really waiting for is a decent US provider to start offering an IPv6-only VPS at a decent price. Everyone who seems to want to go big on IPv6 looks to be in Europe.

• As being from Belgium; country with currently highest ipv6 deployment; I can say that for the networks I manage 60 % of the traffic is ipv6.
    ipv4 = legacy.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • I already played with the idea to offer ipv6 only products to our customers but actually I think it's not worth the effort. We spend around 0,12$ per IPv4/mon. But have to lower the costs of such an ipv6 vps product for min 1-2$ compared to regular vps producs to make it attractive. The idea might be useful in terms of ipv4 exhausting but not to earn more profits. That could be changed later when the prices for ipv4-addresses are increased.

• impossiblystupid said: the future is IPv6

It is indeed. However, IPv4 connectivity is still necessary for lots of people. Refer to the source I posted above for further reading.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:

piohost said: have you noticed any thing that could be potentially a bad thing while doing this?

Just be ready for at least 10% of people to look at the price tag only and ignore everything else, then kick off and blame you for every problem in their life because they don't know how to use the VPS they bought, that is at least the ones with anger issues, the others just charge back first and answer questions later :)

Then there is the impact that people start thinking you only offer NAT services with IPv6 and nothing else.

To be fair, you did spend like 3 days on Dallas.. you crazy bastard. (Thank you!)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Well I need 2 more people to test my KVM Ipv6 servers so if anyone on here is willing I will give you a month free to test.

• WSSWSS Member

I'm v6 native. I'd be happy to beat it.. and then beat your VPS, too.

• @WSS said:

Well enjoy you beating down my VPS, but be gentle she's only young :O

• WSSWSS Member

@piohost said:

@WSS said:

Well, shit, this seems more like @Nekki 's territory than mine.

• @WSS said:

@piohost said:

@WSS said:

Well, shit, this seems more like @Nekki 's territory than mine.

Shots Fired

• WSSWSS Member

What? He can like girls, too!